Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #1

OBD 1 location.

I am having some serious difficulties with my 1995 airex. It started losing power when I press the pedal down after about 50 or 75 miles and now it's down to about 5 miles. I need to get to OBD 1 scanner located to plug into the RV so I can check what the check engine light is doing. Does anybody have any answers or preferably a copy of a manual on how to install an OBD1 scanner on a 1995 airex. I do believe I have 460 Ford F53 chassi. It's really hard to find information on this particular model.
Pettibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Sorry I cannot answer your question but there are lots of good folks with good info here. I am sure someone will be along to give you some pointers. Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help on that but hope you find your problem soon!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Not familiar with your rig but this link might help in locating the OBD1 port ID and locations
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-location.html
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Sorry, I can't help. I would try to contact a Ford dealership that does work on the F 53 chassis. Good luck.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your connection should be under the doghouse (engine cover) just the other side from the gas pedal. You must have the Ford specific OBD reader. The Equus 3145 is the one to get.
You problem sounds to me like failing fuel pump. I would also be checking fuel pressures.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

Thank you so much for the reply. The fuel pump is also something that was mentioned in my research. I cannot seem to find out where the fuel pump is at though because I was told there's a chance it's actually inside the fuel tank. Again I'm Carpenter by trade not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined if I was given Layman instructions are even better with pictures/video. I've tried and tried to search for YouTube videos on this particular RV and cannot find any instructional videos only tours of somebody's new toy. I was hoping that you could possibly answer another question for me, connecting that reader would that tell me if I need new spark plugs or a new fuel pump or whatever that is needed? Thanks again for your time Nick.
Pettibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettibone View Post
I am having some serious difficulties with my 1995 airex. It started losing power when I press the pedal down after about 50 or 75 miles and now it's down to about 5 miles. I need to get to OBD 1 scanner located to plug into the RV so I can check what the check engine light is doing. Does anybody have any answers or preferably a copy of a manual on how to install an OBD1 scanner on a 1995 airex. I do believe I have 460 Ford F53 chassi. It's really hard to find information on this particular model.
Check this thread, and see if it's helpful:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/locat...53-258440.html
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fuel pump IS in the tank so if it needs to be replaced it the tank needs to be lowered as the pump comes out the top. Helps if the tank is almost empty to minimize weight. If you do have to replace the pump, there are a few things to know and watch out for so make you ask before leaping. Have you replaced your fuel filter lately? If not, do that first. It is on the inside of the frame rail just behind and below the Driver's seat area.

The OBD reader I mentioned will do a systems check and report any failures. The manual that comes with it is fairly extensive and covers a lot of issues. The systems check is mainly regarding sensors but not spark plugs, however misfires will trigger an error code. Also, a faulty fuel pump won't be reported but running lean will set a code.

To check the fuel pump you need to have a fuel pressure tester which you may be able to rent from a auto parts store. At idle it should be about 30-32 psi. When you unplug the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator it should jump up to 39-40 psi.
The regulator is on the engine as shown.

It would be good to check the pressure while driving as well. Under load when you have your foot into it it should be up at or near max pressure of 39-40 psi. If it won't hit that or can't maintain pressure under load then the pump is weak.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has been a long, long time but if you have OBD one you do not need a scanner.. Just a paper clip.

Ive always foudn the OBD one connector in the same place the put OBD ii.. Usually to the left of the steering column under the dash
There are two pins on the jack. And before you ask I no longer recall what they are. With ignition OFF you short these pins with ye old bent paper clip.

Now grab a pad and pen or pencil and turn key on
The Check ENgine Light will blink. write down the number of blinks
Then it will blink .. Usually a different number of times. Write that down

NOTE: you may get something like 333 111 (that's 31)

Finally it will blink 888 888 (No pulses from ignition sensor.. IE: ENgine not running)

Then the sequence will start over.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

Do you think that there is some kind of additive that I can put into my gas tank to help clean out old particles? It is a 95 with only 30,000 miles on it I am actually the second owner. I've been told that RVs that sit around for years and up with particles and their fuel lines. That is the theory I'm going off of when I think I might have to replace the fuel pump. This would be my first time ever check in fuel pump any information that you can give me towards it would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help a stranger.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettibone View Post
Do you think that there is some kind of additive that I can put into my gas tank to help clean out old particles? It is a 95 with only 30,000 miles on it I am actually the second owner. I've been told that RVs that sit around for years and up with particles and their fuel lines. That is the theory I'm going off of when I think I might have to replace the fuel pump. This would be my first time ever check in fuel pump any information that you can give me towards it would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help a stranger.
You really need to check the fuel pressure output with a gauge first. If there is a problem then change the filter. After that the tank needs to be dropped and inspected as well as a new pump. DO NOT buy an el cheapo pump... buy an exact replacement Motorcraft unit. Dropping the tank is not as a big deal as it sounds like... a motorcycle/transmission jack helps.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr. Pettibone, Don't get sidetracked with possible particles. Any particles in the system will be caught by the fuel filter.
Replace the filter and check the fuel pressure. Then we can proceed from there.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #14

Fantastic thanks for your help. How do I go about checking the pressure? I have replace the filter already.

Tags
cat