Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Potential New Owner Questions

Hello
This is my first post to the group. I am located in the Cleveland Ohio area and have never owned a class A motorhome. I currently have a small popup that my wife and I use and I previously owned a 1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia.

OK that being said, I have a relative that lives in the San Francisco area that is willing to GIVE ME his very good well maintained 1999 Rexhall American Clipper C29 that has approximately 22000 miles on the odometer. The dilemma I am having is that if I take him up on the offer and pay anywhere from $2000 to $3000 to have it hauled to my home - which is no big deal - I will need to find an indoor storage facility to park it. This will probably cost anywhere from 1500-2000 a year according to my limited research that I have done. Also, no worries there at least for a few years

What I am needing input from the fine folks here is based on your experience how do these machine hold up if they are not used on a regular basis? I can see myself having this really nice machine parked in a nice indoor storage facility and using it once or twice a year for a few weeks, Since I am not retired yet this would be the situation for quite a few years out and I am thinking that although I am getting the RV for nothing except the cost of getting it to Cleveland, I will be paying for storage for a long time and things could deteriorate due to lack of use, and what started out as a good idea may not be that great in the long run. Also, the whole car towing thing intimidates me - have to have something to tool around in once you get to the destination right?

Are the Rexhall units really well built machines and do they hold their value? From what I have seen this model and year are currently going from 12000-18000 depending on condition. From what I recall the layout was pretty nice and it seemed to be very well built. I recall it had some type of leveling system that used a joystick of some sort. The cabinets and fixtures seemed to be good as well. Are the AC units and generator sufficient?

I guess what it boils down to is that I am asking for some opinions as to what you would consider doing based on my predicament. I would love to own one of these but I know that it will be quite a few yeaars until I can really use it as it is intended. I guess I could get it here to Cleveland and try it out and then sell it if I dont use it - but that defeats the purpose.

Well thats about it, and if you actually read my ramblings all the way to this point well god bless you and thanks! Any and all comments, thoughts, ideas, or whatever that can provide any insight iinto helping me decide on this would be greatly appreciated. I have about a month to decide.

Cheers and thanks in advance
KF
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
I guess I could get it here to Cleveland and try it out and then sell it if I dont use it
KF
I think you answered your question here. Most Rexhall owners I have cone across, including myself, are very happy with their Rexhalls. It’s like anything else that gets limited use, you will have to exercise it occasionally to keep everything functioning properly. Sounds like the price it right. I would go for it if it were me.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
I think you answered your question here. Most Rexhall owners I have cone across, including myself, are very happy with their Rexhalls. It’s like anything else that gets limited use, you will have to exercise it occasionally to keep everything functioning properly. Sounds like the price it right. I would go for it if it were me.
maybe i did answer my own question - i was just looking for some additional insight etc.....

thanks for responding

KF
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know how big that rig is, but Maxi Stor near Norwalk has 39' long w/14' door units for $125/month. Clean, locked, individual, metal sided, concrete floor. Convemient location to haul it out to Findley State park or Maumee Bay for weekend camping.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
I don't know how big that rig is, but Maxi Stor near Norwalk has 39' long w/14' door units for $125/month. Clean, locked, individual, metal sided, concrete floor. Convemient location to haul it out to Findley State park or Maumee Bay for weekend camping.
Thank you very much for the info. That sounds reasonable.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #6

I don't know enough about your situation, but you could always add short 2 day trips (think weekend) to nearby campgrounds or parks and get a lot more use out of her.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote