Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Rad removal

I need to remove my radiator, it needs to be recored, and the fan blade is broken so it needs to be replaced as well. My unit is a Diesel pusher with a rear mounted rad. Has any one removed theirs?

It appears the CAC has to come out first. Today I removed the piping for the air cooler. I have drained the rad and removed the top rad hose. A lot of work when you are by yourself. Up the stairs and down the stairs, outside and inside. I tried to undo the fan blade bolts but they are real tight and the fan turns. I discovered that the last time the belt was changed it was replaced with one that is longer so that will effect the amount of tension on the pulleys.

Fortunately when the bed is up the opening is about 52" x 56" so I can climb right in. I have it propped up with a 4' 2x4. It is going to be a slow process as I don't have a lot of time to work on it. I'll keep you all posted.
Shadrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Strap wrenches work well if you need to keep the fan hub from rotating.
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasd923 View Post
Strap wrenches work well if you need to keep the fan hub from rotating.
late reply but visit the chassis forum for the chassis user d in your coach. Mine is an Ford F53. The folks there are great help with all things chassis related.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks but there is no Oshkosh Chassis Forum. I figured it out anyway. Drain coolant, remove all hoses and pipes going to rad, CAC and trans cooler, support engine and remove bolts holding front engine support to crossmember, Remove trailer hitch and crossmember and drop rad assembly down after removing fan blade. Easy. One problem I ran into so far is that some nice person welded extra support braces to the trailer hitch, which means it has to be dropped with the crossmember. It will be rather heavy. I will use a transmission jack to lower it. I will pull the MH up onto a pair of big wooden ramps that I have. This will give me more clearance.

I have one day a week to work on this, weather permitting and I have to drive about 40 minutes the other side of the city to get to my friends acreage to work on it. I do have access to all the tools I need but I am working outside on gravel. Once the rad is out then I can pressure wash everything before working on the engine.

BTW I do enjoy working on my own vehicles. I have owned 4 Cummins powered pickups already so I am familiar with this engine, just never worked on an MH before.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #5

Quick Update. I have a new rad now and it and the charge air cooler are all bolted back together ready to go back in. Since it is now winter I won't be doing anymore to it until spring as it is outside.

I found out why the engine wont start. All the injectors have low pressure. One had a bad tip on it so I pulled them all out and had them checked. Three of the pistons are damaged, 2 of them melted and the turbo is seized from debris going thru it. I will pull the engine in the spring and will replace it with another one I have. I will also replace the water pump, belt tensioner, belt, thermostat, turbo and exhaust manifold as it was cracked and whatever gaskets need to be replace while I have easy access to the engine. It's a lot of work but I'm doing it myself (with some help when I need it from my friend who owns the acreage and is a diesel mechanic).
Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shadrach, thanks for the update. Best of luck on your project, sounds like you are up for it when the weather allows! Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on this drive train?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

The coach has 131,000 miles on it.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
oh, shoot, i missed the different chassis and a diesel... oops!

Tags
removal