RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Roof top question (1997 29' Aerbus)

Foggy night skies here cause streaks on windows and body of rv. We do not have a cover on it, because we use it as an extra room, almost daily; cottage we rent is very small, and rv is an escape from street traffic noises, parked in empty lot behind us, farther off the street, on same property. A cover on it would prevent being able to look out windows when we are in it, AND we often go out to park it down the road a bit, away from the hustle bustle around here. Is there any way to prevent all the dirty streaking that comes down off roof, every night, never allowing windows to stay clean, etc; Has anyone figured out a way to prevent this from happening without the hassle of constantly putting on/taking off a cover? We wondered if anyone has tired rigging up a kind of narrow sort of gutter kind of thing around the rv where roof meets side walls, then directing moisture somewhere off back or whatever? One more question; is there any way to protect roof top; (prior owners never covered rv either) it gets dirty from the air here and a tad of greenish stuff up by vents, too. Would snow-coat kind of thing work at all? I suppose power washing might hurt top? Any comments or response to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

flower and roger sierra

riverflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I am currently washing the roof and sides, second, as everytime it rains I get streaks, white from oxidation, and black from 18 wheeler diesel soot. I'm using a product called ZIP WASH. Works pretty good, then I will seal it to eliminate the oxidation.

Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. Do you order Zip Wash online? What do you seal it with afterwards?
Old 06-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #4

Painting the roof

When we first got our '97 RexAir, I painted the roof with Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating. This was our first RV and the roof had a lot of hairline cracks in it (normal and harmless I guess), and also the white streaks were out of control. We wanted to protect our investment and this was what was recommended in some RV forum threads. So far it's been great, we don't have any white streaks on the coach except for the front cap which we did not paint. I'm not sure WHY I didn't paint it, that's where the largest areas of glass are and still gets lots of white streaks.
If you did go this route, set aside a few days, you'd want to scrub the roof really well, apply the Dicor roof prep which you have to get separately, and then put a few coats of the roof coating on. It's a hassle, but I'm glad we did it.
Also, I've read that others will mop their whole roof with mop and glow, or another wax product, which will also stop the streaks, but has to be re-applied fairly often. We haven't done that yet, but maybe others can chime in on whether or not it's worth it.

JG
1997 Rexhall Rexair
questvent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

Thank you for these additional ideas. We will check into the product you used, AND do some research on the mop and glow stuff, etc; to try to figure out which route to go. I wonder how often one has to put that kind of wax on...? Thanks again, flower
Old 06-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflower View Post
Thank you for these additional ideas. We will check into the product you used, AND do some research on the mop and glow stuff, etc; to try to figure out which route to go. I wonder how often one has to put that kind of wax on...? Thanks again, flower
Hey RiverFlower, Thought I'd chime in here as I have a 97 RexAir as well and just recently did my roof to get rid of the white lines on the windshield and to repair some of the hairline cracks on the edges...although I haven't addressed that part yet as it was more work then I had time to do.

Here's a link to what I used and some pics, hopefully it will help.

I will say, if you have a power washer it will save you a LOT of work as that's all I did, was power washed it, let it dry for a couple of days and then just swept off any leaves or dirt that had gathered.

Here's the link to the post: Penny Wise or Pound Foolish - Roof Coatings

You can read all the way through it or go to post #13 & #18 to see what I did.

Let me know if you have any questions afterwards and hopefully one of us can help.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #7

Thank you

We really appreciate your response to our question, AND link to the thread you provided. Borrowed a power washer and we're going to try the Rustoleum Marine deck paint; will give feedback later. Thank you for your help. flower and roger
Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #8

The DW and I just cleaned and used a product called Bus Kote from what I have read it is a good product. We canít give a review because we just finished .
drzkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

Will check into your recommendation; thank you so much for sharing...

Tags
aerbus, roof