Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Rexhall RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Who replaced bed lift struts with higher pressure ones?

I thought I read that someone did...but I'm not finding the thread.

Am wondering how the project turned out, how well they work, what the part number is.

Thanks.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Is this the thread you're after?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/pic-...ed-294955.html
Old 07-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #3

Hi John,

I replaced the struts on our king bed in our '97 Aerbus last fall. I purchased the struts from a company called "hatchlift" after watching a youtube video from RV Geeks. Here is the video: . If you watch the video, they make lifts for the cargo doors but also lifts for beds. RV geeks also provides a 10% discount code. Here is the link to Hatchlift: RV Bedlift Kits

I didnt buy the bedlift kit as I just needed the replacement springs which they also sell. I don't recall which model spring I purchased but I measured and bought the HD ones and they work beautifully. I had to place them slightly differently than the old ones but it took about 5 minutes to install both.

Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks guys, got 'em ordered today!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
This is a follow up:

The bed is a king, with a memory foam topper from previous owner. The bed was a backbreaker to lift, and once up, would not stay up. It even came with a prop-up stick.

Don't know how many previous owners had been dealing with this, or for how long. It was the worst thing about the motorhome, hands down.

It had 120psi lifts. I opted for 150 psi replacements, thinking that maybe the memory foam topper might just be enough added weight to overwhelm the original lifts.

I received the new lifts, got them swapped out in just a few minutes, and still had the same problem.

I bought them from Hatchlift, and contacted Hatchlift for help. Hatchlift asked for a picture, and was kind enough to add some measurements and mark-ups to my picture, to illustrate a correct installation. (Hint hint--great customer service from Hatchlift...can't recommend them highly enough)

There was a seven inch difference between the original install position, and the recommended position from Hatchlift.

So, off comes the mattress to work unencumbered, only to discover that one corner of the platform was pulled away by about 2", which changed the entire geometry of the lift. It just wasn't noticeable with mattress and bedding on. It was binding up internally, as well as being jammed up against one of the side dressers. Just a mess.

So, a complete disassembly of the platform, and reattachment was in order.

Then, I changed all the mounting points to meet the specifications outlined by Hatchlift, and put the mattress and topper back on.

Now, it lifts smoothly AND stays up. Not satisfied to leave well enough alone, I removed the 150psi units and reinstalled the 120psi units, just to check. They still would not hold the bed up. Either weak from age, overwhelmed by the additional weight or new positioning...who knows. I'm just happy with a system that works the way it's supposed to.

Prior to relocating the mounting points, there was only about 18" to access under bed storage. Now, there is almost 30"...a huge difference. We never used that space, it was such a hassle. Now, we are actually planning on what to store under there...can you say "Happier Camper"?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
YC1

Great report.

I just added two more to mine and even added one at the foot of the bed in the middle. It is not connected to the actual bed bottom. I built a rectangular hole and just dropped it into the hole. The top part of the thing pushes up on the bed just enough to get things going up and then the four others do the rest. I still use a prop for safety.

I sure miss my dual adjustable tempurpedic. I am trying to design a way to install some sort of adjustable bed. I don't mind losing the storage space. I did install an inflatable thing that lifts the head but rarely use it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace