Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > iRV2 Owners Registry
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Ernestine

Registry
RV Name Ernestine
Year 1970
Make SHasta
Model Loflyte
Length 15 feet
1970 SHasta Loflyte
Basic Info Ernestine is named after my father Ernest who loved to camp and fish. His closest experience to an RV was living on a sailboat back in the 30s. I have a picture in the trailer of him on his sailboat.
I bought Ernestine in 2012 a year after retiring. Much of
Exterior
1970 SHasta Loflyte Exterior 1970 SHasta Loflyte Exterior 1970 SHasta Loflyte Exterior
I am a total ignoramus about things mechanical. when it turned out Ernestine needed her aluminum skin removed to reframe the rotted wood below the windows, I spent the first 2 weeks trying to remove 8 rusted screws across the front of the rock guard. When a handy friend dropped by and had them all out in 45 minutes I realized this work was above my paygrade and I hired a friend who needed work. For the next 3 months, we rebuilt the front, back, and sides of Ernestine. I joined an antique Shasta forum that was invaluable as I know this one will be. Ernestine went to Minnesota for a season but DH decided to buy a double axle trailer and it now resides in Minnesota for Summer camping and my beloved Shasta lives in our yard here in Florida serving as a guest house and camper, mostly for State parks which in Florida are fabulous. SHe got the frame checked, new tires and brakes fixed at a local trailer fabricator and we just had the 40+-year-old gas lines and regulator replaced.

Interior
1970 SHasta Loflyte Interior 1970 SHasta Loflyte Interior 1970 SHasta Loflyte Interior
the interior has a lot of original equipment including floors and counters and original couch cushions. I added lined curtains and removed the water tank and gas heater. we use fans and a portable heater when needed and she has a tiny window Ac that is quite adequate.
The layout is perfect for us with a dinette at one end and bed at the other with a kitchen and 3-way fridge and closet and cupboards on the sides. The door is right by the dinette. i Love the overhead cabinets with doors the lift up and latch at the hinge so you don't bang your head like we constantly do in the new trailer.

Customizations
1970 SHasta Loflyte Customizations 1970 SHasta Loflyte Customizations 1970 SHasta Loflyte Customizations
Removing the gas heater and water tank gave us a lot of extra storage. Adding lined curtains made it easier to sleep. My friend who worked on the trailer also added an additional 30 am circuit. My brother who is very handy added an outdoor outlet. Our biggest mod was buying an Epod screen room for 150$ on eBay which fit the awning channel on Ernestine perfectly. This doubles our living area and has waterproof curtains for rain and cold days.

Renovations and Repairs
1970 SHasta Loflyte Renovations and Repairs
See above under exterior. She is resealed, has a new 3-way fridge, new gas lines and the 40-year-old stove is cleaned and repaired so it still works. The back double paned window had standing water so I removed it and had it rebuilt for 100$ by a local window repair. SHe is framed with cedar and oak instead of pine now. A long and never-ending journey. But if you take care of these old aluminum trailers you can fix anything. Just carefully take the aluminum skin off and rebuild. Luckily the birch on the interior is mostly in good shape. I did remove the original decorations on the overhead cabinets. They were damaged and to my eyes ugly. I replaced them with Florida Highwaymen prints form a calendar of their work. I got to meet one of the original highwaymen in the process which was a delight. He is in his 80s and still painting. I love the painting genre but can't afford the original paintings that now cost thousands.

Tow Vehicle
1970 SHasta Loflyte Tow Vehicle
I traded my hybrid for 2008 6 cylinder Subaru outback with a tow rating of 3000 lbs. Since the trailer is less than 2000 lbs we are good to go.

Favorite Camping Destinations
1970 SHasta Loflyte Favorite Camping Destinations 1970 SHasta Loflyte Favorite Camping Destinations 1970 SHasta Loflyte Favorite Camping Destinations
Florida State parks and great places. We are at Fort Clinch in April and Sebastion in May. The furtherest I have taken her is Hunting Island in SC. We have also been to Collier, Hillsborough, Little Talbot, St Joes, Anastasia, Gamble Rogers SRA, all Fl State Parks.
Comments: 0 / Views: 600
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!