Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > iRV2 Owners Registry
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Mr. T

Registry
RV Name Mr. T
Year 1980
Make Champion
Model TranStar
Length 24'
1980 Champion TranStar
1980 Champion TranStar 1980 Champion TranStar 1980 Champion TranStar
Basic Info 7.2L 440 V8 Dodge CB300 conversion motorhome with beautiful late 70s graphic design in the paintjob.
Exterior
1980 Champion TranStar Exterior
removed AC, removed rotted plastic roof storage.
Cleaned years of green and black organisms off exterior, took days of scrubbing.
Repaired two shattered windows with temp plexiglass using inner screens as templates.
TODO:
Needs a horn. (FIXED!)
Needs a generator. (No it doesn't!)
Needs opening top windows sealed shut. (I did that, time to really fix them)

Interior
Removed original interior, minus kitchen and bathroom. Removed and repaired 50% old soft flooring, other half due in the springtime.

Renovations and Repairs
Oh my, where to start... I'll try to tackle this in order.
* Thermoquad carb rebuilt, eventually replaced
* Brake Booster
* Alternator
* Voltage Regulator
* Battery, 800 CCA, 110 reserve
* Loads of crappy old wiring removed; house battery system was toast, fog lamps wired badly, generator was ripped out of the system carelessly, main wiring harness was also cut at van/RV junction and at rear, nearly 16 feet of main harness had to be rewired.
* Dodge charging system bypassed, eliminating the Ammeter
* Removed burnt-up cruise control system
* Removal of 15 years of old storage items, carpeting, Dodge truck parts, rat poop, broken glass, soft and rotten wood paneling, everything made of wood, flooring, all RV appointments.
* Remade two side windows out of plexiglass
* Cleaned ground points
* Starter cleaned up
* Heater blower motor cleaned up, rat poop blown out of heater system ducting
* Headliner cut out in sections
* Pacific NW moss cleaned out of window channels
* Years of green growth on exterior scrubbed off
* Power steering system rebuilt
* Most appliances rusty and damaged, removed.
* Main roofline seam cleaned of old sealant, resealed with RV sealant and HVAC tape over the seal.
* Removed rooftop AC by myself on a ladder. Sealed hole with plexiglass panel, riveted to roof.
* removed analog TV antenna
* Feb 2018 - Made a 20 mile round trip from Seattle to Burien and back without any deaths.

UPDATE! September 2020! The world is ending, but Mr. T is alive and kicking! I now live in my home town of Dallas, TX thanks to Mr. T making the 2000-mile journey loaded with all of our belongings from Seattle to Dallas via the Grand Canyon and a nasty blizzard through New Mexico! I've done so much to it since I settled in down here. I cut off the original exhast system and hand built a new one with Cherry Bomb glass packs straight back. I also installed a performace stock repro MOPAR ignition system down to a repro distributor. I now live 8 miles from Summit Racing and have been treating my last-of-the-line Chrysler 440 like the champion it is.
The straight through exhaust and glass packs sound like rolling thunder wide open on the highway. I love this van so much. As we speak, I am replacing the power steering pump and belts. Probably oil and a transmission inspection while it's down. New springs are on the shelf, too.
Comments: 1 / Views: 728
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

Had one of these

Would never think of another one. Last time I knew it was parked down in Florida somewhere.