Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Advice: Savannah to Ft Pierce FL

Need advice on best RV friendly route from Savannah, Ga to Ft Pierce, FL. Would like to avoid Jacksonville traffic. Planning to visit the Navy Seal museum in Ft Pierce. Thanks.

GigiShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would just stay on I-95 but take the bypass around Jacksonville. Never had a problem going that way.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

The bypass on the east side has a little less traffic and also a little shorter than the west side.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

We always stay on I-95, by the time you get there (unless your planning on hitting the road at 4:00 am) rush hour will be over and you will sail right on through. Keep left as I-10 bears off to the right and just watch out for the 1 left hand exit on the north side of the city. You have two lanes all the way through. We have been through Jacksonvilled twice this past year with the Bounder and toad and another 8 times back and forth in the toad going to and from JAX.

Bob
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

I run highway 9 around the east side of Jacksonville, we travel at night with no traffic. I know this doesn't work for all but the fuel mileage and less stress is worth it. We like night driving.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

We ran that route last July returning from a month on the road. It is a straight shot on I-95 use the bypass as mentioned. A good campground in Ft. Pierce is Road Runner, get off I-95 on Orange avenue, go West to Kings Highway, go North to Saint Lucie Blvd which goes by the airport, go East to Road Runner which is on the left about 1 1/2 miles from Kings Highway. Hope this helps. DACOTAH
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I-95 through Jacksonville. Do not take the East bypass 9A (in the process of being changed to 295) as there is construction on the Dane's Point bridge and they usually have some South bound lanes closed. Besides, unless you hit at rush hour, straight through is much faster.
David
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

Thanks to all for the help. This will be our first trip of any length. We will be leaving from northeast GA with good "back roads" to I-16 into I-95 at Savannah. Thanks for info on Road Runner. Love this iRV2 Forum.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look for some really rough roads on I-16, from your directions, I would consider taking US441 to McRae then US341 and hit I-95 at Brunswick. Four lane, really good road almost all the way.

We went to Savannah recently and I-16 was really bad in some places, especially south of Dublin.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would stay on 95 through jax... traffic isnt bad even at rush hour. Now if theres an accident... different story.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

Wizard, thanks for routing info. I would like to stay off I-95 as much as possible. We will probably come down 441 from NE Ga anyway.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Advice: NE Ga to Ft Pierce FL

We have changed our possible route AGAIN! Has anyone gone south on US 17 to US 1 then I-95?
Since this is our first "long" trip in Class A we are trying to be careful about road conditions. Of course, we prefer 4 lane but no more interstates than necessary.
Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiShaw View Post
We have changed our possible route AGAIN! Has anyone gone south on US 17 to US 1 then I-95?
Since this is our first "long" trip in Class A we are trying to be careful about road conditions. Of course, we prefer 4 lane but no more interstates than necessary.
Thanks.
not sure what your aversion is to 95??? 17 runs through the "hood" in Jacksonville. Its not a nice road. US1 is a traffic light mecca... even more useless since the speed limit is 10mph less than the interstate.

Stay in the center lane into Jax... and follow the signs. Youll get a nice view of downtown on your way over the Fuller Warren and concrete interstate. 3 lane all the way through.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #14

Gigishaw, stay on the main roads (Interstate) if you have a problem you have a "emergency lane" to stop safely. You are over thinking this. You will be safer than in the hood, get much better fuel mileage and arrive sooner. Fall in behind another RV and enjoy the ride.