RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #15

Phone service

Check with AT&T to see if they have a daily plan for Canada. Verizon is $5/day for all services. Covers a 24 hour period only if you use any services.
Tim Horton's has a restaurant in every town except Watson Lake. They have free WiFi and a consistent menu. The Fort Nelson location has plenty of room for your rig. MacDonald's has free WiFi.The Dawson Creek, BC and Whitehorse Walmarts have MacDonald's in their stores.
Most of the roadhouses have WiFi and will give you the password. Only expect to check email. Most will not support streaming.
WiFi at campgrounds will be frustrating. You will be in a remote part of North America and the service to provide the type of service you are used to is not there. This is where I generally spend my $5 to get the job done on my phone.
You will probably be able to check email but not able to load web pages or browse.

bakedalaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #16

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalsmt View Post
I didnít want to get to Canada when there was still snow on the roads or we would leave a little earlier. Mike
42í Monaco Camelot PDQ
F-150 towd
The snow is gone by the end of March in most of BC, gone by April in the North.
They hardly ever get snow in Vancouver, and we have been having a very warm winter so far.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #17

We have Cricket(ATT MVNO) and Canada and Mexico are included in their unlimited plan. There is a caveat that the usage cannot be more than 50% of something. I haven't checked it out yet.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We plan to leave Texas mid May to be at the Canadian border first week of June then spend 3-4 weeks on the Alcan hwy on the way to Alaska. I didnít want to get to Canada when there was still snow on the roads or we would leave a little earlier. Now just have to find if itís better to get a phone in Canada or get international service with AT&T, friends say itís very expensive to get service there.

Thank you again you really helped me a lot with your comments/experience.

Regards

Mike

42í Monaco Camelot PDQ

F-150 towd
We made the same trip that you are planning last year from May 15th thru Sept 15th, entering Canada on June 1st from Marble Falls. You'll love this trip!!

We towed a Jeep without any rock protection on the Jeep and our MH mudflap removed. The Jeep got one rock chip and the MH two. Stopped in Whiteborse and had them repaired for $75.

When we got home, I had to wipe down the entire Jeep and the back of the MH with wax and grease remover to get all of the asphalt specs off of the paint. No real damage to either for the 12,000 + miles we traveled. Some of the roads are terrible! but we still had a great time. You just have to slow down. We saw several travel trailers at gas stations and visitor centers with broken springs (waiting on parts) from driving too fast over the frost heaves and put holes in the pavement.

Getting used to liters, kilometers, and $5 to $6/gal for diesel is the only hard part. : )

RandyClick image for larger version

Name:	UWKzk0rX-347800113.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	233355Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_093849.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	233356
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Damion,

You might want to do some research on your mud flaps. I have rad a lot of threads that mud flaps throw up more rocks with them on.

The best I can read is to go with flap directly behind wheels but remove large advertising flap all the way across the rear. Strictly going by what I've read on IRV2!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Call AT&T. Canada is included in our plan. It is a great trip, be safe and have a great time. I am ready to go again.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #21

Forget the phone in BC and the Yukon--after all, you're on vacation. WiFi will work in all the afore mentioned places. Once you get into Alaska the phones will work just as in the lower 48. (Including areas of no service)
I lived in AK for over 15 years and extensively travelled both the Alcan and the Cassiar Hwys. My best advice is don't overdrive your capabilities and SLOW down when you see orange cones/flags or red warning signs, if you don't, you will be sorry! Try and have no set schedule and enjoy yourselves and the beautiful country. Safe travels.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I am expecting the trip of a life time. Thank you for sharing your experience and advise.
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
snow in Canada

im from Whitecourt.Alberta ,,snow until May long weekend is normal here..we went to Alaska border 3 yrs ago.took picture of border crossing and stayed at Buck shot Bettys in Beaver creek we rented a room with shower, we towed a 8 ft scamper trailer that trip. we have a DP Motorhome now and are thinking of going to Dawson city this yr.turn around and head back to Beaver creek. we here the road from Dawson city to Chicken is terrible.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Alcan Hwy

Thank you for your experience. It helps me prepare for the trip, good road and bad.
kovalsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Booking RV Parks

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Is it a problem booking RV parks in advance or are they pretty much open with space?
Regards
Mike
--- It really depends on the time of year you are traveling. We have run into some problem as far south as Edmonton and all the way up. Once we get to Canada, I at least call first thing in the morning - so we know where will want to stop and find a place or plan to boondock. After a long slow day on the Alcan, we like to put our mind into the mode of either the RV site with full hookups or dry camping way before we get there.

We have driven the Alcan for the last 4years straight. As long as we travel before the caravans start heading North(early to mid May), we have only had a few full campsights.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We have Canada on our AT&T plan at no extra cost. Call and check with AT&T. We got 2 chips on the Jeep windshield and nothing on the MH. It is a great trip. Don't worry about rocks and just enjoy the trip. We plan to go back to Alaska in 2020. Lots of beautiful scenery. I am thankful for digital cameras. The way my wife takes pictures film would cost as much as fuel.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have Cricket(ATT MVNO) and Canada and Mexico are included in their unlimited plan. There is a caveat that the usage cannot be more than 50% of something. I haven't checked it out yet.

I moved to Cricket after checking out the 50% issue. Its looked at over a 3 month time-frame. The first Rep said after 15 days my service would stop even after showing her the 3 month blurb on their website. Geez. Contacted management and they said its over a 3 month period, its exactly like what it says on their website. -Bill
Old 04-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #28

I am still not sure how it works. 50% of all text(say I send 100 in US, I can then send 50 in CA), same with data and phone. Is there a warning message that comes up for each component? Many questions, CSR did not help with any answer.

Hopefully we won't need it at all driving through to AK.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, alaska, alaska trip, canada