Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I think that's what they used to say but I think you'll agree the crowd is starting to disperse.
Probably true RJay but I think most of those leaving are business owners.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
Don't go to WA, weather is terrible, if it's not raining it's snowing, roads are worse than wagon tracks, nowhere is flat, up or down only. Avalanches close the major passes regularly, even now SR20 is having avalanches in May!
Don't forget the Volcanos---- they are all over the place just waiting to get the unwary
Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
I have no fear of California's infrastructure and roads.

I simply don't intend to go there ever. With their bankrupt government that will probably be bailed out by my Fed tax dollars, crazy laws, attitude, and other things it's the last place where I would spend my money.

Why would I spend my money in California just to be abused by the freaks, odd laws etc. when there are so many other places that appreciate my tourist dollar without sqaundering it.

Yes, you've got it! Please spread the word among your fellow Texans. Colorado is a much, much better vacation choice. They really like texans there as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Yes, you've got it! Please spread the word among your fellow Texans. Colorado is a much, much better vacation choice. They really like texans there as well.
Problem is I'm not from Texas! And yes I would prefer Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Probably true RJay but I think most of those leaving are business owners.

Rick
Not according to this.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Yep and as the Yankees have moved to Texas, we now have an abundance of toll roads. They were welcomed, but they can take the toll roads and leave.

ken
Native Texan here and there are places within the state where I love to take the toll roads instead of the interstate.

Unless it's 2:00 a.m. the Austin drive is more like driving practice in a parking lot. Unless I need to go into downtown Austin, I'll gladly pay to take the tollway around it!!

BTW - Did you know that Austin is the only major city in the US that only has one interstate running through it? And they wonder what to do about grid lock....

Cheers from Central Texas!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I haven't driven in CA for years, so I can't compare their roads to what we've just been on. So far in our limited travels, I15 through Utah and I80 through Ohio (with the runner up being Indiana) were probably the worst, with Ohio and Indiana being all the more a slap in the face because I had to pay $32 and $20 respectively for the privilege of beating my suspension to hell.

Washington isn't bad once you get east of the Cascades. Beautiful 300 sunny days per year, moderately cold winters (rarely reaches 0F), stunning high desert vistas, wonderful lakes and rivers to kayak on... Oregon isn't bad either, but it isn't quite as picturesque. Both states' roads are decent to excellent.

We've found I90 from Wisconsin through Wyoming to be excellent...so far. The roads in Florida were all mostly excellent.

Keith
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a native Californian looking to escape. Since the housing crash the area I lived in turned from a middle class suburb into a ghetto. Much of the foreclosed housing has been bought up by investors and rented out to section 8. A once nice quiet town is now crime ridden. There are sign twirlers on every corner saying "we buy gold" that just encourages break ins. Brazen daytime robberies and drive bys occur every day. This is now the norm for my old town.
Sorry about the rant, now back to this threads subject.
I have found when Driving through LA and the Inland empire area you can go a little out of your way to drive on the foothills freeway I-210. It is a newer freeway that is not used nearly as much as the other north south freeways thru the LA basin. It's still in relatively good shape and usually has light traffic.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Quote:
Cost of Living Sucks; Everyone Leaving California
Don't believe the hype though, they are lying cause the last time I checked I still plan on staying right here where I can eat a bucket of chicken for $9.99. I plan to stay right here in land of gracious living (Yorba Linda, CA) indefinitely, so far so good.

But I do hope everybody leaves and nobody comes in, I'm gonna have an entire state all to my self.

BTW did you guys know that Camifornia is number 1 in the #2 list?

OGTerror's Off Road Videos
OGTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #38

Yea, I guess a lot of people, Except the people paying taxes. Careers: Benefits
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
Problem is I'm not from Texas! And yes I would prefer Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.

Ha! You mean Dallas GA isn't in TX?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #40

Don't know about CA, but we travel extensively (80K miles since 2005). We just came off a trip that saw us travel to and thru 17 states. The last leg took us on about 300 miles of the PA tkp. Agree with all who have a hard case against this monster. But, wife and I had a very pointed discussion about the general decay of all our roads (primarily interstate rts). Very noticable even from last year. In addition, we noticed the closure of a number of rest areas. As we crossed into AL from GA on I-20, we noticed that even the welcome center is closed. I could be wrong, but it seemingly is closed, permanently. We can only hope that the roads improve and those rest areas that we have come to depend on are restored soon.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
A few of the rest areas on I-40 between Needles, CA and Barstow, CA have been closed for a few years with signs that say "Closed For Repairs".
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #42

I have to drive on the roads in California, I live here.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard