Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
As the debt problems get deeper in California more and more of its infrastructure will deteriorate. Also, because of the debt, the state is setting speed limits so drivers become susceptible to their exorbitant fines. Now I'm not say that you shouldn't get a ticket if you speed, but increasing the likelihood that you unknowingly will and then charging the offender their exorbitant fines is immoral. I'm fortunate to have experienced the state early in my fulltiming experience and I have no intentions of returning!
California puts speed limit signs miles apart so you really don't know what the speed limit is until a trooper tells you what it is and then about 2-3 weeks later you'll get a "courtesy" citation in the mail which will break your bank. If you go to Ca. for gods sake don't speed or make any mistakes driving. Big Bro is watching !!
__________________

__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
tbfirm's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 138
Just came over the pass on I80 from Sacremento to Reno. I could not believe how bad the road is. Third world came to mind. As someone mentioned as soon as you enter Nevada the road is in great shape. Harry Reid?
__________________

__________________
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 514
Lets see, Cant go west because of 3rd world roads cant go east because it is the Wizard Of Oz all over again. I guess we'll camp out in our back yard. Today however we'll have 50 Mph winds. Oh well think of all the money we'll save on gas. Theres always a bright side to every story. Sort of puts the screws to the words "Lets go Rv'ing"
Happy Motoring
__________________
Don and Maxine McQueen
1996 Damon Intruder
F53 Chassis 33 ft
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #46
Member
 
chofujohn's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Lets see, Cant go west because of 3rd world roads cant go east because it is the Wizard Of Oz all over again. I guess we'll camp out in our back yard. Today however we'll have 50 Mph winds. Oh well think of all the money we'll save on gas. Theres always a bright side to every story. Sort of puts the screws to the words "Lets go Rv'ing"
Happy Motoring
I say go NW. Colorado, Wyoming and Montana are calling to me. I bought my bear spray a month ago. Now if I can just get my chores done so I can hit the road.

Regards,

John
__________________
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
chofujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
DCTENT's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Young America, Minnesota
Posts: 365
Just read About I-80 In Calif, Now I'm Scared, We are planning on leaving July 5th For Sacremento area with MH.
Question!, Is it possible to Take Hwy 89 Thru Lake Tahoe area To Hwy 50 to Sac?, Can we travel those Highways With 44 Foot MH?
__________________
45' Newmar Essex, Towing 24' Trailer, 2007 Mini Cooper Conv as well as Street Legal Golf Cart inside.
Anyone wanna play Golf??.
DCTENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Mochisme's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Shoreline, WA
Posts: 361
I just came over I-80 from Reno to Sacramento and could not belive the poor condition of the road and I was driving a pickup with Camper and towing a car trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wheelchair strapped on it. Stopped for a restroom call and found the wheelchair hanging on one of the Jeep Tie Down straps and another strap busted.

I would not drive ANYTHING on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno and I was driving 50 miles an hour at the fastest.
__________________
Mochisme "Ted"
2000 34' La Palma
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #49
Member
 
Rapid Robert's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sothern Arizona
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTENT View Post
Just read About I-80 In Calif, Now I'm Scared, We are planning on leaving July 5th For Sacremento area with MH.
Question!, Is it possible to Take Hwy 89 Thru Lake Tahoe area To Hwy 50 to Sac?, Can we travel those Highways With 44 Foot MH?
Yes, but it will take a bit longer. You may want to take hwy 88 to Jackson and then hwy 49 almost to Plymouth then hwy 16 to Sacto. This route is longer but very nice drive through gold rush country and worth the trip. Some very neat little towns to visit. There is a nice RV park just before Jackson ( Jackson Rancherea Indian Casino and RV park) We used to live in the Sutter Creek area and the roads were good all the way over the hill to Reno via Carson City. We made the drive to Sacto every weekday for 12 years but that was 6 years ago. If you are in a hurry take 89 to 50 but for sightseeing I recommend 88, either way is much better then 80 in my opinion. Drive safely and enjoy the trip.
__________________
"Got a dog for my kid, the best trade I ever made"
Bob, Rita and the better half of my trade, Pudgy
2011 Serrano, 2012 Jeep Patriot on tow dolly
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #50
Member
 
Rapid Robert's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sothern Arizona
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTENT View Post
Just read About I-80 In Calif, Now I'm Scared, We are planning on leaving July 5th For Sacremento area with MH.
Question!, Is it possible to Take Hwy 89 Thru Lake Tahoe area To Hwy 50 to Sac?, Can we travel those Highways With 44 Foot MH?
I just reread your post and that 44 footer will be happier on the hwy 50 route. Although it would make it on either road 88 has more curves. The climb out of the Carson Valley is steeper on 50 getting up to Tahoe but used to be very good road. Do not try to take 89 around the lake as this road is narrow and tight.
__________________
"Got a dog for my kid, the best trade I ever made"
Bob, Rita and the better half of my trade, Pudgy
2011 Serrano, 2012 Jeep Patriot on tow dolly
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
DCTENT's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Young America, Minnesota
Posts: 365
Thanks For All The Info, MAYBE, I'll Take The Buick instead!!!!!!
__________________
45' Newmar Essex, Towing 24' Trailer, 2007 Mini Cooper Conv as well as Street Legal Golf Cart inside.
Anyone wanna play Golf??.
DCTENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #52
Member
 
HohoDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTENT View Post
Just read About I-80 In Calif, Now I'm Scared, We are planning on leaving July 5th For Sacremento area with MH.
Question!, Is it possible to Take Hwy 89 Thru Lake Tahoe area To Hwy 50 to Sac?, Can we travel those Highways With 44 Foot MH?
DC you can not travel Hwy 89 around Lake Tahoe in your 44' MH, it is closed to MH / Buses over 40' from Homewood to Hwy 50... Be real careful you do not get stopped on one of the restricted roads. If you are stopped be real nice the the CHP officer, he has the power to put you out of service on the spot and you will have to haul the MH out on a slidebed trailer. When I managed a Peterbilt dealership in Northern California we made a lot of money with our slidebed doing just that.
Check out:
45' Motorhomes

Cheers
Ted
__________________
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #53
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,566
Ok, as a lifelong native born here is some current and accurate information. I have not received a ticket in my driving life of 41 years now. The speed limit is 55 when towing. Very simple. My gps even tells me the speed limits. The I80 over the Donnor Summit is one of the most traveled highways in the world with trucking feeding the world. The amount of traffic is amazing. The Summit reaches 5000 feet and can get 30 feet of snow and ice in the winter but you seldom see the roads close more than 24 hours. The horrible freezing and pounding traffic did anniliate the route and I definitely avoided it like the plague. However I just took a trip over the summit a couple of weeks ago. I picked up I80 from 20 so there is still a lot of terrible road to the West of that. There was about 5 miles of rough road and then brand new highway all the way to Nevada. Very very nice. I'm still not satisfied however because I5 and 99 are terrible and as you mention the state spends a tremendous amount of money on public transportation. Often the 2 dollar ride cost the state 20 dollars. We have a busing system in our town that uses 35 foot buses and seldom carry more than 4 or 5 passengers. Until we can drown or burn out the politicians that are picking our pockets we will never get this state back to the Golden State.

My registration on the MH went from 800/yr to 1600/yr. We pay prison guards 100K + retirement and medical. Our local fire chief retired at 55 with a 100K pension and 150K in "vacation etc". Full medical benefits for life.

We have a beautiful state, wonderful food, but we are the land of fruits and nuts.
http://vimeo.com/24937995 Watch the video of La Malfa reading a constituents letter. From me that is. Not to be political, it is about taxes and ca.
__________________
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bakersfield CA
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ok, as a lifelong native born here is some current and accurate information. I have not received a ticket in my driving life of 41 years now. The speed limit is 55 when towing. Very simple. My gps even tells me the speed limits. The I80 over the Donnor Summit is one of the most traveled highways in the world with trucking feeding the world. The amount of traffic is amazing. The Summit reaches 5000 feet and can get 30 feet of snow and ice in the winter but you seldom see the roads close more than 24 hours. The horrible freezing and pounding traffic did anniliate the route and I definitely avoided it like the plague. However I just took a trip over the summit a couple of weeks ago. I picked up I80 from 20 so there is still a lot of terrible road to the West of that. There was about 5 miles of rough road and then brand new highway all the way to Nevada. Very very nice. I'm still not satisfied however because I5 and 99 are terrible and as you mention the state spends a tremendous amount of money on public transportation. Often the 2 dollar ride cost the state 20 dollars. We have a busing system in our town that uses 35 foot buses and seldom carry more than 4 or 5 passengers. Until we can drown or burn out the politicians that are picking our pockets we will never get this state back to the Golden State.

My registration on the MH went from 800/yr to 1600/yr. We pay prison guards 100K + retirement and medical. Our local fire chief retired at 55 with a 100K pension and 150K in "vacation etc". Full medical benefits for life.

We have a beautiful state, wonderful food, but we are the land of fruits and nuts.
LaMalfa Reade Constituent Letter on Taxes 6/10/2011 on Vimeo Watch the video of La Malfa reading a constituents letter. From me that is. Not to be political, it is about taxes and ca.
Your observations are right on target. Years ago Caltrans spent money on building roads and freeways. Now Caltrans and ALL other California government agencies spend money on salaries and retirement pensions! The taxes we pay on each gallon of gas is adequate to repair and build roads and freeways, but the money is divirted to exorbinate pay and pensions for employees.
__________________

__________________
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trip wizard



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
California Base- Camp Recommendations dustytwo Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 22 05-04-2011 10:54 AM
California Highways are tough on rigs Janshark iRV2.com General Discussion 75 02-13-2011 09:50 PM
New California Laws from LA Times Larry & Rita Just Conversation 50 01-19-2011 05:22 PM
Quake in California now near certain apackof2 Just Conversation 24 08-03-2008 12:00 AM
California wireless phone laws take effect July 1 Tom N Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 16 04-24-2008 07:28 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.