Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Avoid California Highways

In the past several months we have traveled north and south on I-5, fronm Oregon border to LA, we have traveled Hwy 99 both directions, east on 15 from Bakersfield and by far the worst was Hwy 80 from Sacremento to Reno. I will not drive these highways ever again, they tear up your coach. On Hwy 80 going to Reno the road is basically falling apart, the holes hit so hard that trim pieces broke off in the interior of our coach. The California definition of road repair is to place a sign warning rough road ahead, and just as you read the sign you hit the rough road. Folks these roads will damage your coach, it just aint worth it. Interesting, on Hwy 80, as soon as you crossed the state line into Nevada the road was smooth. California is all but bankrupt and these roads are only going to get worse.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We're from Sacramento area and have traveled 34 states in the past 4 years. Without a doubt, California's roads are the worst... although the Pennsylvania Turnpike comes in a close second and charged us a $48 toll!!!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
As the debt problems get deeper in California more and more of its infrastructure will deteriorate. Also, because of the debt, the state is setting speed limits so drivers become susceptible to their exorbitant fines. Now I'm not say that you shouldn't get a ticket if you speed, but increasing the likelihood that you unknowingly will and then charging the offender their exorbitant fines is immoral. I'm fortunate to have experienced the state early in my fulltiming experience and I have no intentions of returning!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
After living in CA for over 16 years and then in this past year, I drove from Valencia CA to as far north as Fairbanks AK, then back to Valencia CA. A few months later we traveled across the country to Florida and finally up to the Adirondacks of upstate NY. All of that driving came to over 15,000 miles through 19 states and 2 Canadian Providences.

California, by far wins hands down for the WORST roads in the entire North American continent. All of those fuel tax dollars that are being paid at the pump are not going into roads. They are most likely in some politicians pocket or has gone to some useless Pork infested political ideas.

Now, I can also say with conviction that the state of Pennsylvania comes in a close second to California.

I still have 31 more states to go.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We're from Sacramento area and have traveled 34 states in the past 4 years. Without a doubt, California's roads are the worst... although the Pennsylvania Turnpike comes in a close second and charged us a $48 toll!!!

Rick
The east coast states, especially the northeast, have learned that tolls are a cash cow and will continue to charge tolls long after the highways are paid.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a native born Californian and a life long resident it is an embarasment to me when I return to our state line and botom out the suspension on my motor home/car. For years our semi permanent residents in Sacramento have been diverting fuel tax road funds to "Whats best for us", like light rail that goes from nowhere to nowhere and on and on and on. The eventual goal is to ride buses, trains and bicycles.

You can't fix stupid but you can vote them out.

Thanks for pulling my chain!

Don
Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep and as the Yankees have moved to Texas, we now have an abundance of toll roads. They were welcomed, but they can take the toll roads and leave.

ken
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Also, because of the debt, the state is setting speed limits so drivers become susceptible to their exorbitant fines. Now I'm not say that you shouldn't get a ticket if you speed, but increasing the likelihood that you unknowingly will and then charging the offender their exorbitant fines is immoral.
I hadn't heard that one RJay. Maximum speed limit while towing anything has always been 55 and I'll bet they catch plenty RVers on that one alone.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Have to agree with everyone on CA roads from my experiances. I thought going east on I-80 to Reno from CA was bad, causing one of my tire sensors to vibrate loose, but later that month using I-15 out of NV to I-10 around San Bernardino over to I-8 to Yuma was worse. The constant bumping of the "road" caused my Hydraulic Reservoir for my jacks to vibrate loose where only one screw was holding it and it finally gave up and broke the upper lip of the reservoir. If anyone ever needs an excellent welder in the Yuma area I can attest to the expertise of the Harley shop off I-8.
I would gladly give up driving my MH into CA but we have a lot of family in Barstow, CA. One of my nephews from there suggested last time that we take 247 out of Barstow to Yuma. Only a two lane hwy but I think I know where the hwy tax money is being spent, it's on the little hwys as that road was virtually hole/bump free.
I would class CA's freeway system right alongside the trails/dirt roads I use while hunting elk. Rutted, washed out and missing sections.

Anyone been on Route 66 from AZ to Barstow, is it better then I-40??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #10

"Smooth paved roads", a perfect example of how our government waste our tax dollars.

Message payed for by 4x4 off road club.

OGTerror's Off Road Videos
OGTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Yep and as the Yankees have moved to Texas, we now have an abundance of toll roads. They were welcomed, but they can take the toll roads and leave.

ken
Tex,
I'm presently in Austin, TX and dealing with the I-35 traffic and the tolls on 130. I can't tell you how many times I've made a wrong turn and ended up on 130 going the wrong way and having the privilege to pay for it. The I-35 traffic is bad but not nearly as bad as in Boston. At least here in TX you don't pay state income tax on top of a toll.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been the length and back in California on I-5 to many times to count. In the Northwest we call em' fish ladders and in Costa Rica the potholes are "parking garages".

I swing over to the coast first chance I get and take the two lanes---many are in much better shape. But you get into mountains etc; 101 from Monterrey down to Oxnard is better than I-5 but then you are pushed into LA, through Thousand Oaks-----nasty. This April trip we did the Reagan library and followed our gps out and found a better freeway longer trip but worth it and came out around all that 101 in LA-----

395 the length of the state is beautiful and much better maintained--or at least the last time we were there---but it goes over 8000' in at least one spot---so weather can be a problem.

May we all find a thousand miles of new straight level asphalt.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

What I find hard to believe on I-5 is the expansion joints on and off a bridge. They are scary. The other thing is that the repairs on the roads are sometimes worse than the original pot hole. It is like they hire anyone to work on the roads and don't teach them or supervise them. I live in Georgia and I think that this State has some of the best roads in the USA.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #14

I hear you guys. I drove into LA (won't make that mistake again) and nearly knocked my fillings out in a pot hole at 20 mph. We enjoy CA very much but have learned to take it slow and easy on those wagon ruts they call roads.

Tags
trip wizard