RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #29

Locking Dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMY92 View Post
Thanks for the help.

We are working on an update to where you will be able to lock dates for selected stops beyond the start date.

This is a major reword of the code, so it will take a while to write and test, but we will eventually have more options in date selection.
Any updates on this feature. Would love it if it is implemented soon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #30
Trip Wizard Support

It is still in progress. It touches almost every part of the program, so it is taking longer than expected.

EMY92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMY92 View Post
It is still in progress. It touches almost every part of the program, so it is taking longer than expected.
This would be a great addition. Trying to adjust trip dates to fit firm date stops is frustrating. Even if I could add a dummy or filler stop would help.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #32

You have been promising a fix for this issue in this thread for almost a year now. Either you don't really believe it matters or your programming skills just aren't up to the task. Either way, it leaves what could be a great program useless to anyone who doesn't plan every stop of their trip in advance. I'm done. Subscription has expired and will not be renewed. Cannot believe you cannot be bothered to provide a timely fix to what many clearly see as a significant flaw.
adriangordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriangordon View Post
You have been promising a fix for this issue in this thread for almost a year now. Either you don't really believe it matters or your programming skills just aren't up to the task. Either way, it leaves what could be a great program useless to anyone who doesn't plan every stop of their trip in advance. I'm done. Subscription has expired and will not be renewed. Cannot believe you cannot be bothered to provide a timely fix to what many clearly see as a significant flaw.
I'm just curious as to which programs do the date planning you are describing along with the features of RVTW. I wold very much like to consider them.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #34

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
They've been promising many fixes and updates since I subscribed last summer and I've seen only a few minor changes since subscribing. Like you, I don't plan to renew when my subscription runs out. if this was $2 app I wouldn't care but for $40/year I expect a lot more!
Ray-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Is this actually ever going to happen? Been using RVTW for the past year and has worked very well while we were starting out and planning every day and night of our trips before we left. Now that we are getting ready to do a little exploring and not have so rigid a schedule it just doesn't work for us at all. Having to go back and change start dates and number of nights at each campground, etc., is a huge PITA. Won't be renewing.
Find any other program that does what you want but I think it will require algorithms that can read the unknowable future. I respectfully disagree that changing start and/or number of nights is such a PITA. It is a lot easier than when you have to call up a stop over point to change your arrival and or number of nights.

How can developers create an interface that can make adhoc changes to a travel plan any easier than RVTW does even in its current iteration? It really isn't that difficult.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #36

Ouch!

I'm very pleased with the improvement I've seen since I subscribed a few years back. Well worth the money. IMHO.

But I agree I'd love to have a solution to the fixed-date problem.

My workaround for the problem is to "pad" unplanned segments with a dummy stop, adding or subtracting as many nights as necessary to keep my fixed dates in the same "place."

But it's a pain remembering to adjust my dummy stop every time I add or subtract a real stop. And then checking to make sure my fixed dates didn't change (I enter the fixed date in the "Comments" field for the stop, so I don't have to write it down separately.)

So that works, but it sure would be great if the program did that for me automatically -- enter a hidden "dummy stop." Maybe remind me that I'm falling short of or overshooting a fixed date. (Like, it's calculating a 1500-mile drive to the fixed stop, when my daily target is 300!) But I'm not a programmer and I'm probably missing something.
Launce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I'm just curious as to which programs do the date planning you are describing along with the features of RVTW. I wold very much like to consider them.
Frankly I don't know that any do, which is why I don't use the others and why I no longer use RV Trip wiazrd.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Find any other program that does what you want but I think it will require algorithms that can read the unknowable future. I respectfully disagree that changing start and/or number of nights is such a PITA. It is a lot easier than when you have to call up a stop over point to change your arrival and or number of nights.

How can developers create an interface that can make adhoc changes to a travel plan any easier than RVTW does even in its current iteration? It really isn't that difficult.
Nobody is asking for any magic algorithms that enable anyone to read the future, knowable or unknowable. I hope the problem here is that I haven't made it clear what I want because the alternative explanation for your comment is almost unimaginable.

I want a program that allows me to say say that I am going to be at campground A from May 1 to May 4 and at campground B from May 10 to May 15, and leaves the rest blank. As fantastic as that concept may seem to you, most of us use calendar programs that do exactly that. I can enter an appointment for June 1 and another for Jue 3 and they will stay on June 1 and June 3 even if I enter another appointment for June 2. I don't have to enter a dummy appoint for June 2 to keep the June 1 and June 3 appointments where they are and if I delete either the June 1 or June 3 appointment everything on my calendar after that doesn't move up a day. I don't have to schedule dummy appointments on days I don't have any. What makes that seem so magical to you? Have you ever used Outlook or Google calendar or any appointment program or app? I need to be able to delete (or add) an intervening stop without having RV Trip Wizzard change the dates on everything that comes after that, and I don't want to have to put in or change a dummy stop everytime I make a change because sooner or later something gets f---ed up. As you said, it really isn't all that difficult.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #39

I thought the problem was that the program is trying to compile an accurate running total of mileage and fuel cost estimates. Which the calendar program is not doing. But I could be wrong.

It also has to prevent you from adding more stops than there are days in a segment. But that doesn't seem difficult.

It could just be that the program was originally built on a certain model, so you have to change or tweak a lot of things when you change something basic.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #40

At minimum, or in the interim, it would be useful to show the reservation date in a separate field in the itinerary list. So you can quickly spot discrepancies. More than just the little checkbox that shows a reservation.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Nobody is asking for any magic algorithms that enable anyone to read the future, knowable or unknowable. I hope the problem here is that I haven't made it clear what I want because the alternative explanation for your comment is almost unimaginable.

I want a program that allows me to say say that I am going to be at campground A from May 1 to May 4 and at campground B from May 10 to May 15, and leaves the rest blank. As fantastic as that concept may seem to you, most of us use calendar programs that do exactly that. I can enter an appointment for June 1 and another for Jue 3 and they will stay on June 1 and June 3 even if I enter another appointment for June 2. I don't have to enter a dummy appoint for June 2 to keep the June 1 and June 3 appointments where they are and if I delete either the June 1 or June 3 appointment everything on my calendar after that doesn't move up a day. I don't have to schedule dummy appointments on days I don't have any. What makes that seem so magical to you? Have you ever used Outlook or Google calendar or any appointment program or app? I need to be able to delete (or add) an intervening stop without having RV Trip Wizzard change the dates on everything that comes after that, and I don't want to have to put in or change a dummy stop everytime I make a change because sooner or later something gets f---ed up. As you said, it really isn't all that difficult.
Well said. I agree completely - especially having messed up some dummy dates that the program forced me to put in...
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launce View Post
At minimum, or in the interim, it would be useful to show the reservation date in a separate field in the itinerary list. So you can quickly spot discrepancies. More than just the little checkbox that shows a reservation.
And I work around that by editing the stop name to add the reservation date.
This could all be a lot easier ...

Tags
trip wizard