RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

Creating Routes with BaseCamp

Sensing the frustration that some have with BaseCamp. Perhaps this will help. The information below seems like just too much work. But it really goes fast once learned.
Mac version but pc is very similar

Routes are a collection of waypoints in a specific order. If you can create one waypoint you can create several and from those you can create a route. I’m self taught and like a challenge, BaseCamp provided it. It is free and the only gps with its own application I have found.

Creating a Folder in BaseCamp
1. Folders and Waypoints (wp) reside to the left of the BaseCamp (BC) map
2. From the File menu in BC select “New List Folder” and change the name to “Test”
3. With Test selected. From the File menu select New List
4. The wp that you create will reside in New List (at the bottom of the column)

Creating a WayPoint in BaseCamp
1. The BC Tools menu includes: Hand, Zoom, Selector, Waypoint, Route, Track, Measure.
2. Select the wp tool
3. Move the wp tool to the BC map and click
4. A wp window appears entitled “001” which contains info about your new wp.
5. Under the General tab you can change the symbol and rename the wp.
6. Under the Advanced tab you can view the coordinates of your wp or change the coordinates.

Gathering WayPoints from GoogleEarth
Because of added features like Street View I prefer to use Google Earth (GE) and gather my coordinates there. I am going to create a route from Emporia, KS to the Garmin Headquarters in Olathe, KS.
1. Launch GE
2. Type “Emporia, KS” in the Search box and click Search
3. Zoom in using the +,- tool beneath the Street View icon
4. In the View menu place a check mark next to Toolbar by clicking on it. This is an on/off switch and the Toolbar should reside above the map.
5. Find the intersection of Highways 50 & 99. Which is also the intersection of Commercial St & 6th Ave.
6. Select the Placemark from the Toolbar and reposition it to the intersection of 50 & 99.
7. If the Placemark window covers the intersection move it out of the way.
8. I got the following coordinates: 38.405015° -96.180136° .
9. Don’t add a comma or anything between these coordinates; just a space to separate them
10. The GE - New Placemark window is a great place to assemble the data for use in BC.
11. Using the open space below the “Add Link” button.
12. My assembled info: 38.405015° -96.180136° Emporia, KS
13. I copy and paste this info to a word/pages document, to be used in BC.
14. Using GE, type Garmin in the search box and choose …East 151 Street…
15. Zoom in on the map so you can see the S parking lot and place the “Placemark” in the lot
16. My coordinates are: 38.855047° -94.799449° Garmin
17. I doubt that I will need more wp but if I do I will add them later. Again I place these coordinates on my word/pages document.

Note: If I were going through a city and wanted a specific route I would select more wp within the city or I would avoid the city and create my route so I did not go the default route the Garmin would take me. Garmin's usually take the shortest or fastest route depending on how you set your preferences. Creating your own route with your own wp is one way to stop this. Sometimes I have as many as 10-12 wp. To keep them in order, I number them. For example: 2_ 38.855047° -94.799449° Garmin Don’t allow the number to be part of the coordinate.

Bringing it All Together in BaseCamp
Refer to: Creating a WayPoint in BaseCamp (above)
1. Launch BC Click the wp tool at any location on the BC map. (it doesn’t make any difference where)
2. In the wp window under Comment: paste your starting point: 38.405015° -96.180136° Emporia, KS
3. Copy & Paste “Emporia, KS” into the Name: box
4. Copy the coordinates, click on the Advanced tab, select the coordinates that exist and Paste the “Emporia” coordinates, then click the General tab.
5. Click the “Show on Map” button and your wp should be anchored at the intersection of 99 & 50 in Emporia. (if it is a little off you can drag it into place and the coordinates will change automatically)
6. Follow this same procedure for the Gamin Parking Lot wp.
7. Both wp should reside in New List

Creating the Route
Connecting your GPS to your computer so that the route created follows the highway and allows your route to be uploaded to your gps.
1. From the Edit menu select Create Route (not Create Trip)
2. Drag Emporia into the Start Box
3. Drag Garmin into the Destination
4. Click Go
5. The route should appear on your BC map. Distance & Total Time should appear at the bottom of the BC window. Double Click on the route or route name to view information about the route. Color can be changed by clicking the info button.

Uploading Routes to GPS
1. With your gps connected to your computer
2. Select “New List”
3. From the Transfer menu select “Send New List to device”
4. A “Garmin GPS Transfer” window will appear with the connected gps named.
5. I check Routes, Tracks and Waypoints and click "Send"
6. Disconnect gps from your computer
7. Power up gps
8. Tap Apps
9. Tap "Trip Planner”

Your route should appear, tap on it, then tap on “Map” or “Go”
“Go” will give you a choice depending on your location but either way will get you to Garmin.

Any comments are appreciated.
Safe Travels

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 AM   #2

PC Version 4.6.2
Creating Folders and List Folders

1. Folders and Waypoints (wp) reside to the left of the BaseCamp (BC) map
2. From the File menu in BC select “New List Folder” and change the name to “Test”
3. Right click on “Test” and select New List.
4. The wp you create will reside in New List which is the heading of the bottom column.

Creating a WayPoint in BaseCamp
The BC Tools menu includes: Pan, Zoom, Select, Measure. plus a second set: Waypoint, Route, Track, BirdsEye. The third set is grayed out at this point.
1. Select the wp tool ( When the wp arrow has a small square box with it the wp tool is selected.
2. Move the wp tool to the BC map and left click anywhere.
3. To get information about this wp. Go to New List and select your wp, right click on the symbol (probably a blue flag) and select Open. Or double left click on the wp in New List. A wp window will appear with details about your wp. For now you can change the name, Symbol and choose to display Symbol, Symbol and Name, Symbol and Comment. You can also adjust the Position.

Gathering WayPoints from GoogleEarth
Because of added features like Street View I prefer to use GE and gather my coordinates there. I am going to create a route from Emporia, KS to the Garmin Headquarters in Olathe, KS.
1. Launch GE
2. Type “Emporia, KS” in the Search box and click Search
3. Zoom in using the +,- tool beneath the Street View icon
4. In the View menu place a check mark next to Toolbar by clicking on it. This is an on/off switch and the Toolbar should reside above the map.
5. Find the intersection of Highways 50 & 99. Which is also the intersection of Commercial St & 6th Ave.
6. Select the Placemark from the Toolbar and reposition it to the intersection of 50 & 99.
7. If the Placemark window covers the intersection move it out of the way.
8. I got the following coordinates: 38.405015° -96.180136° .
9. Don’t add a comma or anything between these coordinates; just a space to separate them
10. The GE - New Placemark window is a great place to assemble the data for use in BC.
11. Using the open space below the “Add Link” button.
12. My assembled info: 38.405015° -96.180136° Emporia, KS
13. I copy and paste this info to a word/pages document, to be used in BC.
14. Using GE, type Garmin in the search box and choose …East 151 Street…
15. Zoom in on the map so you can see the S parking lot and place the “Placemark” in the lot
16. My coordinates are: 38.855047° -94.799449° Garmin
17. I doubt that I will need more wp but if I do I will add them later. Again I place these coordinates on my word/pages document.

Note: If I were going through a city and want a specific route I would select more wp within the city or I would avoid the city and create my route so I did not go the default route the Garmin would take me. Garmin's usually take the shortest or fastest route depending on how you set your preferences. Creating your own route with your own wp is one way to stop this. Sometimes I have as many as 10-12 wp. To keep them in order, I number them. For example: 2 Garmin 38.855047° -94.799449° Don’t allow the number to be part of the coordinate.

Bringing it All Together in BaseCamp
Refer to: Creating a WayPoint in BaseCamp (above)

To create the wp Emporia & Garmin left click on the Find menu and choose "Locate Coordinates". Copy and Paste the coordinates in the "Center at:" box and select "Recenter", then select "Create Waypoint". Do the same for both.

Creating the Route
Connecting your GPS to your computer so that the route created follows the highway and allows your route to be uploaded to your gps.
1. From the Edit menu select Create Route
2. Drag Emporia into the Start Box
3. Drag Garmin into the Destination
4. Click Go
5. The route should appear on your BC map. Distance & Total Time should appear at the bottom of the BC window. Double Left Click on the route or route name to view information about the route. Route Color can be changed in the Properties Tap

Uploading Routes to GPS
1. With your gps connected to your computer
2. Select “New List” (which should contain your wp and route)
3. From the Device menu select “Send to Device>Send New List to device”
4. A “Select Device” window will appear if you have a chip in your GPS. If not you may wish to get one. Either select the hard drive or the chip.
5. Click “OK”
6. Disconnect gps from your computer
7. Power up gps
8. Tap Apps
9. Tap "Trip Planner”

Your route should appear, tap on it, then tap on “Map” or “Go”
“Go” will give you a choice depending on your location but either way will get you to Garmin.

Safe Travels

Old 04-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

BaseCamp Routes:

Place the selection arrow tool on the route and the distance from the starting point to the point selected is given in miles along with other info about that location. Works with Windows and Mac. Very helpful info when planning for an RV park or place to boondock.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #4

I didn't get a chance to read carefully yet, but will! Just picked up a 770RV and loaded Basecamp to my Mac. I tried for a half hour and got nowhere. Soon as I can, I will be using this post to try again! Thank you.
tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

BASE CAMP: Google Maps shows the roads but not the coordinates, Google Earth shows the coordinates but not the roads. Anyone know how to make either one of them show both the coordinates AND the roads ?

Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #6

Not sure if this will help but google earth is apparently the old(er) program...the new one is "Google Earth Pro", its still free and can be download to your computer in addition to base camp.

I have the Garmin RV660LMT and just downloaded Base Camp because the OP explained how to use it so well step by step. Then I see that it has in the view drop down menu something about using google earth. So then I downloaded Google Earth Pro. Pretty cool

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
BASE CAMP: Google Maps shows the roads but not the coordinates, Google Earth shows the coordinates but not the roads. Anyone know how to make either one of them show both the coordinates AND the roads ?

Google Earth or Google Earth Pro

To show roads > go to "Layers" in the Left hand column and place a check mark in the little box to the left of "Roads"

Additional Info
Layers can be turned on and off with the check mark.

Coordinates and Elevation show up in the lower right hand side of the map. But it is much easier and faster to use the Placemark and the Placemark window. This allows you to copy and paste the coordinates so that you do not mix up the numbers in the coordinate. Refer to: Gathering WP from GE item 6.

The bottom right corner also give elevation. I watch the elevation as I drag the cursor over a boondocking area to try and determine how level the ground is. This works part of the time.

As a Jeeper, I'm amazed how many 4 wheel drive roads show up on BC.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #8

Finding Coordinates on Google Maps: Mac

1. Place the arrow on the map
2. Click on the map (one click shows the coordinate, clicking again removes it)
3. A small window appears with the coordinate
4. Click on the coordinate in the small window
5. The location is given in two coordinate formats (either one will work)
6. Copy and Paste the coordinate into pages for use in BaseCamp