Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Cross Country trip- somewhat newbie with questions

Hi All. I have a 35 foot gas motor home. We are pulling a Chevy equinox. We are leaving from Delaware and headed to Washington State(stopping at various places on the way) and then headed to San Diego California(again stopping at various places ) and then to Florida. I planned it all out on RV Wizard and I manually entered it in my RV GPS Garmin 770. With that said... I compared the two for turn by turn directions and they are different even though I put the rv info in both(height, etc). I will be using the GPS Garmin as the final say so. I am worried about driving the RV on mountains? Is there any advice or any information anyone can give me who has taken this route with a Gas motor RV? I see that the RV wizard does show elevation and grade but I am not sure what grade we can drive with our set up. ? Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Thank you!!
babs894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What route does it have you taking through the rockies? That's going to be your steepest grade on the trip from my experience.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard!

i have a few questions....

Year, make and model of your motorhome and what engine does it have?

Start and end dates?

Where in Washington?

Have you done any mountain driving anywhere?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

Thank you!!
@Arch Hoagland and @nukeries. We have a 2014 Georgetown Class A- with a Ford Motor. -v10 Triton. We have not been on any significant mountains thus far. We will be leaving Delaware on September 2nd and head to Washington. We will be going I95, I470, I77, I71, I275... we are stopping at Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone Park. We are going towards West Virginia, Cleveland Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming and will then arrive in Bellingham Washington. We will head to California from Washington. That looks like its taking us through Oregon towards Yosemite National Park, to San Diego California. Then on to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana and then back towards Florida. We will arrive back in Florida around November 11th. Upon doing some research people are just saying to go slow and steady and we should be good. I entered the destinations on our Garmin and I am hoping it takes us the best route possible!!
babs894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll do fine in the mountains. I pull a 4,000lb toad all over the west in my gas 8.1.

I recommend starting down mountains at about 45 to 50 and drop your gears so your engine helps on the braking. Don't ride the brakes.

Does your toad have auxiliary brakes?

That time of year is excellent for travelling, especially in California as the summer crowd is back at school, etc.

Do you have windshield insurance and towing coverage?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs894 View Post
Hi All. I have a 35 foot gas motor home. We are pulling a Chevy equinox. We are leaving from Delaware and headed to Washington State(stopping at various places on the way) and then headed to San Diego California(again stopping at various places ) and then to Florida. I planned it all out on RV Wizard and I manually entered it in my RV GPS Garmin 770. With that said... I compared the two for turn by turn directions and they are different even though I put the rv info in both(height, etc). I will be using the GPS Garmin as the final say so. I am worried about driving the RV on mountains? Is there any advice or any information anyone can give me who has taken this route with a Gas motor RV? I see that the RV wizard does show elevation and grade but I am not sure what grade we can drive with our set up. ? Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Thank you!!
First off Don't worry - your unit will do fine in the Mountains - just gear down and take you time going DOWN!

We've been all over the country in gas units and they did Fine.

As for the GPS that you are using - just check it daily against the paper maps you pick up at the visitor centers as you travel.

Where are you planning on going - Yellowstone - Black Hills - Colorado - Glacier - So much to see and do all around these beautiful areas that you really need to have some idea so others can clue you in on the local sites you might miss.

Spend more time trying to figure out how to see it all and less on how to get your GPS to work - just wead West then a little North and you will be fine.

Best of Luck,

Be sure to have a GOOD TRAVEL CAMERA - the images you take will be the best part of the trip - as they will last forever,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags