RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Feature Request: Trip Advisor for CG Reviews

So far every CG review that I pulled up for New England has not had any reviews listed for several years. It would seem the RVTW source may not be as popular as it once was.

Would it be possible to pull in another source of CG reviews such as Trip Advisor?

ScenicView is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I'm sorry you didn't find the info you needed but just taking a quick look at the recent reviews I see a number in New England just today: Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

The reviews found in Trip Wizard are from CampgroundReviews.com with over 19,313 Campgrounds and 361,999 Reviews.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I'm sorry you didn't find the info you needed but just taking a quick look at the recent reviews I see a number in New England just today: Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

The reviews found in Trip Wizard are from CampgroundReviews.com with over 19,313 Campgrounds and 361,999 Reviews.
361,999 reviews right? Iím certain a historian would find those reviews of interest, but someone who uses RVTW to plan camping trips would not.

How many of those 361,999 reviews are from the past 12 months?

RVTW needs a better source The more times I have to leave the app to find relevant information the less likely I am to renew.

RVTW needs to do better than being an ok trip router that can avoid tunnels and parkways.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
OP, how many reviews have you posted to campgroundreviews.com?

Your supposition that people don’t use RVTW to plan trips is erroneous. It’s the only source of info I use, and the only one I have used for nearly ten years.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

My point is that the information pulled in to select camp grounds by rating is often outdated. Garbage in garbage out.

It starts with the filters applied and the data used. If I want to see 4 star and higher campgrounds and most of the cgís pulled in have not had recent reviews for years or are based on two reviews in the past 12 months itís really bad data.

Why would anyone argue against pulling in more reviews from Trip Advisor or Google? Campground Reviews. com had its day, but I think if you take the number of reviews entered in the past year and divide it by the 19,000 campsites it will be very unimpressive.

There are other apps that show me campsites by location that donít cost $40 a year.

Why wouldnít an app incorporate user feedback to improve?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
...How many of those 361,999 reviews are from the past 12 months?

From the number of posts in this forum, it appears Trip Wizard subscriptions are growing at an exponential rate It can't be all that bad if people keep subscribing to it.

Maybe the campgrounds with old reviews you were pulling up aren't ones frequently visited by the type of members who submit reviews.

I'm a regular contributor of reviews to Campground Reviews, which I understand is the database for Trip Wizard. I feel the site team there takes pride in approving reviews that are real representations of RV'r experiences. I've had a couple of mine where I was asked to supply more information & I gladly complied. It made those reviews better for members wanting to know about a campground where I stayed. They truly want the reviews to be quality & accurately reflect the reviewer's experience. I will gladly pick a site with quality reviews, even though there are less of them, over a Yelp/Trip Advisor where quantity is held more important than quality. Do those sites screen reviews as carefully as Campground Reviews does? I doubt it.

The site is only as good as those who contribute to it. I, too, would like to know how many reviews the OP has submitted, especially how many in the past 12 months.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

Rather than attack the OP, another approach would be that improvements made to RVTW benefit everyone. You need to pull the data where it can be found.

CGR had its day. Since then Trip Advisor and others have become very popular for a whole new wave of campers who have never heard of CGR.

Again, why would someone argue against pulling in Trip Advisor and Google reviews and creating a CG meta score? Now that would be impressive.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
Rather than attack the OP, another approach would be that improvements made to RVTW benefit everyone. You need to pull the data where it can be found.

CGR had its day. Since then Trip Advisor and others have become very popular for a whole new wave of campers who have never heard of CGR.

Again, why would someone argue against pulling in Trip Advisor and Google reviews and creating a CG meta score? Now that would be impressive.
The OPs suggestion is worth considering but there are some draw backs. The big one is that review reliability is important. At CGR park owners cannot spin content and the site team works to keep reviews legit. Bogus reviews are a substantial issue at review sites and we work hard to sniff them out. The other issue is that you can't just use content at site e.g Trip Advisors content is proprietary.

All that said, I think most folks planning a trip will use all available resources and that's fair. RVTW has a great resource of review info available from within the app giving a great start to trip planning decisions. If deeper research is needed, then users can surely take appropriate steps to gather info.

The suggestion to include more review info from other sources is a valid one and will be consider by the dev team. No promises on implementation but almost all suggestions get looked at for future builds. More ideas = good for everyone.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Most people rely on more than one source when researching a potential campground. RVTW should never be your be all - end all source. Even if you find great reviews on RVTW you still still seek other sources of information.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
That's true. Although I don't have a Trip Wizard account (don't travel enough to use it) & even though I start with Campground Reviews when I'm searching for a campground, I will use other sources to get the best overall idea of experiences at campgrounds I'm considering. I do like that Campground Reviews is run by RV'rs for RV'rs rather than some huge corporate conglomerate that has reviews about everything including the kitchen sink.

I've been contributing to Campground Reviews since 2003, back when we had a tiny 24 foot travel trailer. I've even submitted new campgrounds to its database. It's come a long way since then. I don't think it's anywhere near outdated.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
A few things:

1) ScenicView - Can you provide some examples to campgrounds that are light on reviews at Campground Reviews and have lots of TripAdivsor?

Often times the ones that are light in Campground Reviews are boondocking/little infrastructure campgrounds. This is because of the history of Campground Reviews. It used to be called RV Park Reviews and the criteria for being listed was that the campground had enough infrastructure to be called an RV Park. Often time the more remote campgrounds with little to no services (ie. water, sewer or electric) are not covered as well as we wish.

2) We can't just take the reviews from TripAdvisor and show them in RV Trip Wizard because that would be illegal (copyright violation)

3) At some point we would like to have links from a campground to it's associated pages like TripAdvisor, Google Reviews, Facebook Reviews, etc. So we are working towards this but can't give an ETA.

4) Another thing to note about the differences between the reviews left at the various sites. TripAdvisor and Google both being more generic and not focused on RVing. For example, Campground Reviews asks for feedback on hookups, info about site spacing and if a site is open or shaded. RVers can also leave tips on things to do nearby which can be very useful (of course TripAdvisor has tons of this too but not Google).

You can also filter for reviews by 5th Wheels, Travel Trailers of Motorhomes. That can be useful since often what is desired changes based on the size of the rig.

Another thing to note is that folks on Campground Reviews tend to be a little more critical so often a campground will have a little lower rating on Campground Reviews. I'd chalk that up to more people just leaving 5 stars without leaving an actual review which, IMO, waters down the values of the reviews. If all campgrounds start skewing higher then it will be hard to tell the difference between a good campground and a great campground.

I agree that some type of meta system would be cool. Per my previous comment, we would like to link out to as many places as possible but we are working on some other larger projects right now. So maybe in the future we will get there.