Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
it would be nice to be able to click on the FlyingJ on your route and in the details it would show RV fuel lanes if it has them. As it is, I have to go back and forth between apps using myPilot go see if a particular FJ has the the RV lanes.

I see the value in this but since it doesn’t exist, I know ahead of time where I’m getting gas on any given travel day. It’s just part of my routine now. I use the Allstays app the evening before travel. It confirms whether the FJ or any other station has RV fuel lanes.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #16

I live in southern Ontario Can. I have yet to have a problem around here getting close to a fuel pump to get my diesel. I'm planing a trip south this summer, do I have to look ahead to find a place for fuel?

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
I live in southern Ontario Can. I have yet to have a problem around here getting close to a fuel pump to get my diesel. I'm planing a trip south this summer, do I have to look ahead to find a place for fuel?
I don't see why unless you are loyal to a specific brand or on a very tight budget and need to find the lowest cost fuel. Truck stops with wide open lanes can be found up and down all interstates.

State routes are bit different, if you plan to travel state routes for any appreciable distance you either need to fill up before leaving interstate or plan ahead. I don't plan ahead for state routes but that sometimes means I pass a suitable station and need to circle the block to get back to it. This is not to say state routes do not have truck stops they are just not as plentiful as on interstates.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #18

Sdennislee......thankyou

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
RV Lanes

Being a Good Sam member, I mostly try to stop at Pilot/Flying J to get the 8 cents/gallon discount on diesel. Checking on Pilot/FlyingJ website I found on their "locations" page this option for All Locations: https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locations/ Click on the Download Locations and you can download all their locations information int .csv or Excel format. You can filter on stores that have RV lanes. I found that out of 683 locations only 187 have RV Lanes and they are not always where I need them when I need fuel. I DID use one just east of Columbus, OH and I happened to need propane, too, which was right there, but on the wrong side of my RV. I had to go all the way around their parking lot and pull thru the RV Lane the opposite direction, so they could fill the propane. It wasn't that big a deal, but it took some time.

Since I am towing, I am leery of trying the outside lanes of the auto section, because there usually is not enough room to swing wide with the toad. It is just easier to go to the truck lanes. If I need DEF, it's right there, too. I have used a credit card and Good Sam card for the $.08 discount with no problems. I rarely get a printed receipt, but I write down the details on a note pad, anyway.

Just be respectful of other drivers and pull forward after fueling, if you need to run inside for food or drink.

The one chain I dislike is Love's. They never have RV Lanes and you always have to go inside to have them pre-authorize your card (I usually go for $70) before you pump. They actually only charge your card for the actual purchase amount, not the $70.

For interstates, I use the app "iExit Trucks". It locates you on the interstate and which direction. You then can see truck stops ahead and what restaurant they have. You can tap on a truck stop to see details, then "View on Map" (Google or Apple) and then go to satellite view and see the layout of the station.

For non-interstates, I use Gas Buddy to find Diesel nearby.

One caveat, Road Ranger truck stops have Pilot diesel fuel, but they don't honor the Good Sam fuel discounts.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #20

+2 I am using multiple GPS and iPad apps and RVTP.
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #21

Some Flying J are set up for RVs.

https://pilotflyingj.com/media/36701...l-guide-16.pdf
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As confirmed by all the workarounds offered in response to the OP's original message, it would be nice for RVTW to work with Pilot/Flying J to provide data indicating which stations have RV Lanes (especially for gas RV's) within the app rather than make you go find that info outside of RVTW. I'd also add that RVTW beef up it's gas/diesel station database for off interstate travel. Currently it's very weighted to interstate travel and doesn't provide much travel planning help at all if you are not on the interstates. If RVTW wants to continue to evolve based on user input, these are two worthy areas to consider.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
For non-interstates, I use Gas Buddy to find Diesel nearby.
Twice within a week Gas Buddy has misled me about diesel fuel. Each station I pulled into said they had never carried diesel.
Mikes47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel