RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
GBS

Garmin and RVTW imported trip

Have struggled before with this, but gave it another go for our big trip from Minn. to PEI and back. Went through the steps from the RVTW help site, and although the Garmin Basecamp screens have changed, it wasn't too bad. I carefully changed the name of the legs to be in order alphabetically, and then generated the routes.
They all come up listed in the RV660, but in the wrong order. Any idea how to get them listed in the trip order?
Secondly, if I open one of the legs on the GPS, it shows correctly in the overview (campground A to campground B), but when I load it, instead of the leg, the GPS routes starting from my home base. Is this just because I'm at home testing it - and I should trust that when I am in campground A, it will start from there to get me to campground B?

All my routes were auto-generated by RVTripWizard - no dragging of the route. Do I trust the GPS to use the same route, or will it decide on it's own which way is best for each leg? Will it reroute if it knows about long delays due to traffic/construction like it does in normal use when getting traffic reports?

GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

From everything I read any GPS and Google Maps do their own thing. It is very frustrating. We have found putting in one leg at a time into the GPS and routing works much better.

Maybe, one day, all the apps will work together like we think they should.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
GBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
From everything I read any GPS and Google Maps do their own thing. It is very frustrating. We have found putting in one leg at a time into the GPS and routing works much better.

Maybe, one day, all the apps will work together like we think they should.
Hmm, no time to test now, but if so, there seems to be little point in downloading from RVTW to a GPS. Just enter the destinations each morning for the next campground. Might only be an advantage if you added a bunch of waypoints in RVTW by dragging routes....
GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:26 AM   #4

I personally have only tried Google Maps and not even with RVTW. I created a trip in PC Google Maps and downloaded it to my phone and Phone Google Maps did its own thing. When I went to research on several forums there is a lot of frustration that even within the same product you can't do downloads to another piece of hardware. This was about a year ago.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
All of this is exactly why I am excited about the future of the RV Life phone/tablet app that integrates with RVTW. The turn-by-turn GPS function is supposed to replace the traditional GPS apps such as google and copilot. I do not have any apple products so I am still waiting on the turn-by-turn function to come to android. In the mean time I will just continue to manually enter stops into copilot. It is really not that hard or time consuming to do. Why are we so obsessed with importing routes to our GPSs?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #6

Many people like to lay out their travels for weeks and months and are very specific as to where they are going and when. Need to have everything documented to a very detail level.

We tend to have a final destination idea but have no idea where we will wander or how long it will take to get there.

We also find the GPS, even in entering a Point A to Point B trip does very strange things. Yesterday we went from Point A to Point B, from RVTW I knew it should be about 200 miles. There was only one road so it should be simple. The GPS made a few strange turns at the end so it thought the days trip was close to 400 miles. We have seen that several times from the GPS. I can't imagine adding more than one day at a time because of this. The GPS is a Garmin RV one with updated maps.

I to am waiting for RVlife for Android but I believe you will still need your GPS. I would think the RVlife app will require cell phone coverage(it might not) which is hard to come by in many parts of the country.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sue,
I am pretty sure the RV Life app turn-by-turn gps feature can/will be used off line.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #8

I haven't played with what components work and what don't. I am patiently waiting for the Android release to see what will be available and what works.

I looked at RVlife the other day and my RVTW trips aren't even showing up anymore. I pretty much have decided to ignore it until the official release.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #9

RV life does not follow your rvtw plan...it is no different than planning a trip in rvtw and then getting into your rig with a "RV/truck" GPS and programming your destination and taking off. I just used the RV life app from Crater Lake NP to Lake Tahoe and the route it chose was hardly RV friendly and completely different than the rvtw plan. Further if you failed to download the offline apps for the state you are doing into and you have no cell service where you start you are screwed.
You will have to buy the mapping subscription to find this out. I too wanted this app to solve the download issue,. but it doesn't.
OpenRdAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
We’ve used RVTW for about 3 years. On the two trips before our most recent one, I downloaded the RVTW data to my Garmin 760 via Base Camp and had no issues.
We just completed a one week trip from Arkansas to Michigan and back. As before, I transferred the RVTW data to my Garmin using Base Camp. Note: I always, in parallel, look at my proposed trip on Google Maps ahead of time so I have some idea what to expect. This way, if Garmin deviates from what I had planned, I have some knowledge of that fact.

We had several glitches on our trip this time between what I put into RVTW and where the Garmin tried to take us.
1. I selected “avoid tolls” in RVTW. The Garmin proceeded to take us on I-80 in Indiana (a toll road). Cost $12 for 30 miles, and over the toll bridge in Louisville.
2. When I program RVTW, I select all waypoints such as gas stops, point of interest as well as RV parks usually using the most direct (except tolls) route. The Garmin tried to take us on a different route a couple of times.
3. On one occasion, the Garmin took us the proper route, but on arrival, it called the place we were arriving at, the place we just left.

I think on the next trip, I just might do the planning using RVTW, but then manually program the Garmin and avoid the Base Camp step.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

Using the RVLife app (IOS) Any trip I plan using RVTW shows up in the app. But when trying to use the app to navigate the trip I planned out in RVTW it will select a different route! Not Good!

I have found a clunky way around this, hopefully the app will someday take you on the exact route you planned in RVTW.

What I do in RVTW is plan my trip/route usually by dragging the route to the roads I want. Then I add stops, basically way-points, along the route (by right clicking) on the road where I want to go.

Then in the RVLife app when I choose that trip it will show the trip I planned in RVTW and all the stops and i can navigate to each one and then I can use the app to navigate the route I planned in RVTW.

In the image below if I had not added 1,2,3,4 and 5 the app would route me I84 to I91 which is not the way I wanted to go.

It is a clunky solution but it works.

edit-2.jpg by Craig Schriever, on Flickr