Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Has anyone downloaded an RVTRIP WIZARD trip to the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S?

Thanks!
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #2

I have to my Garmin 660 LMT. The procedure is probably the same.

I have not be able to get POI loader to work, so I download the trip created in
Trip Wizard to Garmin's free PC mapping software "Base Camp". I then download it to my Garmin 660.
You don't need to know much about Base Camp to do this. Just know that when you import the trip created in Trip Wizard to Base Camp, it is imported as a "Track" not a Route. Have Base Camp convert it to a route then download it to your GPS.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

How do you download to basecamp?

How did you download the rvtripwizard itinerary to basecamp?
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
How did you download the rvtripwizard itinerary to basecamp?
Open the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Transferring Routes from Trip Wizard to Garmin.pdf (461.2 KB, 371 views)
Both sold
Old 05-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Question Transferring RVTW to Garmin sounds VERY time consuming

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Open the attachment.
Having to merge tracks in routes one by one (if I understand) seems like a lot of work!

Surely RVTW could write a conversion that would make it usable?

Just my 2 cents. I had the Rand McNally which worked well with RVTW but the screen was not usable except at night :-(
twestheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

If you have created a trip in RVTW consisting of more than one stop or leg and import it into Base Camp, Base Camp separates each leg and displays each leg as a track. I prefer it this way and it's pretty easy to convert the track to a route.

However, as far as I am able to determine when you transfer the route from Base Camp to your Garmin GPS, the transfer simply transfers the start and end points of the route and the GPS then creates driving instructions from the start and end points using the parameters set in the GPS.

So if the trip created in Trip Wizard is modified using the drag feature and is imported into Base Camp and thus transferred to your GPS, those modifications using the drag feature do not transfer to your GPS. You can however create sufficient waypoints in Base Camp to define the route thus forcing the GPS to navigate from waypoint to waypoint resulting in the GPS following or closely following the route you created in Trip Wizard.

This is probably far more work than most people are willing to spend.

So I use RVTW strictly as a planning tool to find fuel stops and camp sites within my desired driving time and with sufficient fuel reserves. If I want to avoid an area or town (like Atlanta during rush hour) I research the alternate routes on RVTW using the drag feature but then I manually make the modifications on my Garmin 660, which does allow me to do this before I start the days drive.

However almost all the time the route I created in RVTW will be the same as the route on my GPS. I just make sure the avoidance parameters in the GPS and RVTW are the same.

If you want to know more visit the Garmin and Google forums. There is a lot of discussions, confusions and complaints to both companies about modified routes not showing up on GPS devices.
Both sold
Old 05-27-2018, 03:55 AM   #7

Thanks for your helpful reply
Old 06-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #8

Those of you planning lengthy trips might benefit from my learning curve experience.

I planned a 48 stop trip from Florida to Prince Edward Island and back, to take place between mid-June and the end of November. I really took advantage of RV Trip Wizard in the planning, but when I attempted to download to Garmin's BaseCamp and my RV 760, I found that BaseCamp only accepted 20 of my tracks. I contacted Wizard's help desk and we figured out that it is a Garmin thing and not a problem with Wixard. To get around it and load the whole thing into Basecamp, I did the following.

From my full 48-stop trip, I used the "Send to GPS" tool as prescribed in the documentation for Wizard. Since I only got 20 tracks, I copied my Wizard trip into a new Wizard trip (with a unique name) and deleted the first 19 stops in the copied version. Then I followed the procedure for sending to GPS again, using a unique folder in BaseCamp to accept the second set of data. Again I only got 20 stops, but they were the next 20 stops I needed, so I copied this second/shorter Wizard trip again and deleted the next 19 stops. This left me with the last nine stops I needed to complete my trip. Once more I used the "Send to GPS" tool in Wizard to get the last 9 stops into a new folder in BaseCamp.

Combining all the tracks of three folders into one in BaseCamp is not all that difficult. I just highlighted the twenty tracks in my second download folder and copied them to the track section of my first BaseCamp folder. Then, I copied the nine tracks from the third download into the first, and Voila, I had a complete trip. Just delete the second and third data folders in BaeCamp to conserve space.

I did find converting my 48 tracks into 48 routes in Wizard rather tedeous; however, I'm not sure I really needed to. I THINK, I could have transferred just the tracks, which are really just waypoints, to the RV 760 and had everything I needed. Just enter the desired destination from your current location and the GPS will compute the route. Right?
FLCracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCracker2 View Post
Snip....Just enter the desired destination from your current location and the GPS will compute the route. Right?

Well yes that's what a GPS is suppose to do. BUT you need to know that the GPS creates a route using the avoidances you set.

If you use RVTW or Base Camp or any other trip planning software you must make sure the avoidances are the same in all the software if you want the route to be the same in your trip planning software as it is in the GPS. And even then it's best to review the route in the GPS to make sure it's what's you want.

It's frustrating I know but that's how it works.
Both sold
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #10

RVTRIP

My opinion. A great product, and use it for planning only, not worth effort to send it to Garman 2689. I just use Base Camp and no headaches. Both are great software for what they were designed for.
genecusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #11

I totally agree re Rand McNally so I bought the Garmin :-(

Garmin screen is "night and day" better BUT their roads database is seriously lacking :-( I expected much more from Garmin.
From what I have done RVTW is good if you are a compulsive pre-planner otherwise it is not useful without Internet access and for us plans changed daily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twestheimer View Post
Having to merge tracks in routes one by one (if I understand) seems like a lot of work!

Just my 2 cents. I had the Rand McNally which worked well with RVTW but the screen was not usable except at night :-(
Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twestheimer View Post

(

I believe RVTW is working on a more seamless way of getting the trip you created in RVTW to your GPS. Perhaps someone from RVTW will chime in here.
In the meantime the conversion from RVTW to Base Camp is not difficult as long as you understand the limitations.

I'm hopeful that RVTW will create an app that will allow a tablet or cellphone to be used for navigation without internet access. You can get RVTW to display on your cell phone by going to the website but you must have internet access. Once displayed, if you want to navigate with it you will continuously need interest access, something that's not practical.
Both sold
Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #13

After using tripwizard I print out route I including contact info for the intended stops, then enter into Garmin 660 for each days leg. As said things change in mid trip, find easier to do daily than try to make changes to the entire route. Especially when you are in limited,or no service areas, you still have the info with you to setup Garmin for next leg of journey. Hopefully have your reservation set by then for the nights stop.

Tags
trip wizard