Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
How to find highway height clearances on the internet?

going to be driving from I75 exit 217 (central FL) to I95 exit 110 via state route 70 connecting with RT 98. I've been looking on the web and can not find height clearance for these roads. need 13 ft 5 inches of clearance...guess i need to buy one of the trucker road atlas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #2

why? are you concerned that there are overpasses less than 13'6" along a route in FLORIDA??
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #3

We use trucker road atlas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
why? are you concerned that there are overpasses less than 13'6" along a route in FLORIDA??
Yep!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Try this site for bridge heights and a bunch more info. It should be fairly current:

http://aitaonline.com/information
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Yep!
in FLORIDA?? really?

just use google maps overview of the road and you'll quickly see if there any along your path, and you can even use streetview mode to see the posted height, though I seriously doubt you have any in Florida that is less than the minimum mandated height of 13'6", otherwise semi trucks could not use that road.... if you see a semi there, then you should be good...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
going to be driving from I75 exit 217 (central FL) to I95 exit 110 via state route 70 connecting with RT 98. I've been looking on the web and can not find height clearance for these roads. need 13 ft 5 inches of clearance...guess i need to buy one of the trucker road atlas.
In my area, we have MANY low clearances...

I found an add-in layer for Google Maps that shows bridge/underpass heights. That's OK, but not great, as it doesn't "route" you around ones that are too low.

I ended up so far, with SmartRV Route on my Android phone. It has clearances and will make you a route around them. I did find it missing one that we would not be able to comfortably drive under, however. The only other thing about it is that it CONSTANTLY gives audio warnings of hills (up and down), over and over AND OVER... haha

I tried the CoPilot app on my phone recently, and did a very short review of it on a post. It was OK, but not great. It DID, however, find the underpass that the SmartRV Route missed!

I'm on the fence right now as to which one I'll use next summer... maybe both, and compare them!
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #8

Both "All Stays Truck and Travel" and "All Stays Camp and RV" apps for smart phones and tablets show low clearence.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How to find highway height clearances on the internet?

Oldeguy....
X2 on the AITA website mentioned by Blast. I've been using that in combo with Google Maps for over four years now, since the RM tried to tear my roof off. I realized I don't need someone to give me directions-- I know how to read a map and read a highway sign. I need to decide for myself based on accurate, reliable information.

Most of the RV focused sites and services buy their clearance information database from the same sources, and for the most part they'll buy the cheapest they can find if they think it's reasonably accurate. AITA and its members, otoh, have a compelling personal interest in getting it right. I believe they're likely to be more reliable.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Thanks to all...I like the AITA site! again, thanks
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV TRIP WIZARD will also route you around low clearances.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As far as traveling ANY interstate in the U.S. I never have any worries! Of course you always want to know your height, especially on secondary roads and pay close attention to the posted heights.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking at the AITA website, it also uses third party information (in the disclaimer), and I noticed that it is missing all of the covered bridges in my area, some of which are very easy to "stumble upon" if you don't know where they are.

If anyone uses that in Vermont, they might run into trouble. Possibly other New England areas with covered bridges.

So far, in my area, Co-Pilot has the most low clearances listed, followed by SmartRoute RV (or Truck).
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #14

the poi factory has a excellent app. just beware that the height of most tunnels is taken at the fog line not the center of the road
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote