Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

How to keep google maps from rerouting

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, been a rv trip wizard user for approximately 2 years now. Last year we made our first long trip to yellowstone. I imported the rv trip wizard info to google maps. One problem I ran into was that sometimes google maps would try to reroute us and not go strictly to the plan route. I'm paranoid about low bridges and such so I don't want to deviate from trip wizard recommendations. Is there a way to turn off rerouting in google maps?
maximus216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

My eperienceis that once you create a route and then transfer the route to another device or mapping program the route is recofigured. Annoying as all get out. If you are worried about low bridges get a Garmin RV 660 or 770 where there is an option for low bridges.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

To prevent the rerouting, add waypoints along your preferred route. Basically, make sure there *is* no alternate route.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

way points is a good idea. don't want to get a $400 RV Garmin when google is free. I guess i could download the maps for offline and turn off my data and just us gps?
maximus216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #5

I always compare a Truckers Atlas to Google Maps when routing for a trip as a sense check. My third check is using a reg GPS and setting way points if it does not match my planned route.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

Yes there is a way. Create your route in TW then download it as a GPX file. Create a map in Google My Maps and download the created TW route into a new layer in My Maps. You will not have driving directions but it will show you your route as you created it in TW and your current location on that route.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I think you'll either have to download your trip to a GPS device or go old school - printed maps and directions.

I've run into the same issue. So I'm going to pull out a (very) old GPS I haven't used in a long time and load a GPX to see how that goes.

I tried that google mymaps thing. It works OK. But you don't get directions and can't load them into anything.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus216 View Post
I'm paranoid about low bridges and such so I don't want to deviate from trip wizard recommendations. Is there a way to turn off rerouting in google maps?
Someone please correct this if it's wrong, but I don't believe trip wizard's routing takes height/weight into account either, so you have to sanity check any routing it suggests anyway. There's another thread discussing these avoidance issues and the developers indicated the tool does not yet incorporate these concerns in its routing. I believe they stated the tool uses Google Maps for its routing.

The Garmin RV/Trucker GPSs have more "restriction intelligence" built into their routing.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Someone please correct this if it's wrong, but I don't believe trip wizard's routing takes height/weight into account either, so you have to sanity check any routing it suggests anyway. There's another thread discussing these avoidance issues and the developers indicated the tool does not yet incorporate these concerns in its routing. I believe they stated the tool uses Google Maps for its routing.

The Garmin RV/Trucker GPSs have more "restriction intelligence" built into their routing.
I have Trip Wizard and it does show low clearances. Once you enter your RV specifics, it routes accordingly and shows you the low clearances near your route.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
I have Trip Wizard and it does show low clearances. Once you enter your RV specifics, it routes accordingly and shows you the low clearances near your route.
The developers appear to disagree with the "routes accordingly" comment

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/trip...ml#post4635288

Quote:
At this time, RV Trip Wizard is using Google Maps for routing, therefore, no consideration for height or weight.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote