Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #29

I have a Garmin Dezl 760 and my wife has a Garmin 5" auto GPS on her side. In both units I've added extra Points of Interests (POI's), for example : Walmart's, Flying J's, rest stops, Camp grounds, parks, Camping Woulds, National & State parks, Truck stops, etc. POI Files for United States & Elsewhere | POI Factory
Also I'll plan each days drive the night before on Microsoft Streets & Trips. It's easy to see the " big picture" of the route and it shows how many miles. I'll then program both Garmin's. If the laptop said the next days drive is 467 miles, I expect both Garmins to be about the same.
If parking overnight at a Walmart, Camping World, or planing a fuel stop and I'm concerned about access , I use Google Earth and view it from above .
While on the road, my wife will use the GPS on her side to find an upcoming rest stop , or Walmart or gas stop if necessary, while I leave the GPS on my side programmed to the final destination of the day.

GREGORYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Yikes, Stu! Just like a discontinuity inserted in the RNAV approach.....
For the most part, those route discontinuities were intentionally inserted and known to both pilots. No surprises.

That's not always the case when driving the motorhome.

Also, one other difference with the RNAV approach discontinuities...my copilots were very skilled at resolving the discontinuity. My current copilot has other, different strengths.

Take care,
Stu

Old 11-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to plan travel routes for large DP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuades View Post
we added a new rule on our last trip. When looking for a fuel station from the interstate, don't rely on the road signs. If you can't see the station keep going. In Ohio last week we got off on an exit because the highway signs (state signs) stated there were 2 stations with diesel. Neither station visible from the exit. Made the mistake of looking for them, after an hour of trying to return to the interstate, we still didn't have fuel (neither station was big rig friendly). Finally ended up at a Loves in Indiana.

Good advise, been there... )-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
To plan our trips I start with RV Trip Wizard, an on-line subscription service. I use it because I can define "range" rings for establishing RV Parks at specific driving distances. I also like it because I can download the trip into an Excel Spreadsheet format with all campground information including telephone numbers. Now for the actual trip, I use a Garmin DEZL 760... but I don't trust it (NO GPS is infallible)!! Anytime the trip takes me off of major highways or the interstates I "fly the course" using Google Maps! When driving a tall, 45' Coach I HATE surprises! I also pre-fly all fueling stops. Again, using Google Maps I confirm the entry and exits of the planned Truck Stops! This may sound a little anal but it keeps me from doing something STUPID (usually) and it provides a comfort level for the days drive. One other advantage of using Trip Wizard, I keep the Excel Spreadsheets in a note book. I add a column to the sheet for "qualitative campground comments" which becomes a record of our trips and a "go to" source for firsthand campground comments for future trips.

Wow.

I put the key in, start it up and go. 65' long towing a Chevy Avalanche behind a 40' DP. Been from Georgia to Montana to Maine and Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island.

When I need fuel, I pull into a gas station. No pre-planning involved.

No problem.

Cheers!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #33

The trip planners and GPS gadgets may be fine but nothing is better than learning how to use Google Earth while traveling. You can see what you are in for before you get there and avoid a lot of trouble. I use it to see if we can fit in a camping site at an RV park to determine which RV park is best suited for us. The measuring tool can help you determine how much space you are going to have in your site. It is a great tool, and more accurate than hearsay from other RVers or the RV park manager.

Common sense and a truckers' atlas can help you avoid most low clearance bridges. Get the atlas from most any truck stop. Never turn down a street that you haven't checked out on Google Earth. In 6 years with our 42 ft. MH and towing a vehicle we have never had to unhook to turn around because of a deadend street or alley or the back end of a Walmart. Generally, if you are thinking of turning off the main highway onto a city street, it is worth it to pull over and check things out on Google Earth.

Don
Old 11-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #34

All you need is some very simple skills

#1 get used to driving in three dimensions rather than two. Third dimension is low bridges, low cables and trees and low awnings. It isn't difficult, just most of us never had to do it, but now we do.

#2 if you tow, get good at disconnecting with a minimum of fuss, so if you do end up at a dead end or tight fuel station you can disconnect, move the toad somewhere safe and out of the way and then get the MH sorted out..

#3 practice reversing the rig - in daylight and night.

#4 remember that when in doubt, getting out and walking a couple of hundred yards is a lot smarter than just blundering in - and you probably need the exercise anyway after sitting behind the wheel all day

then all that time you would have spent worrying about what route to take can be spent enjoying your new lifestyle.

AND most important, if you have a copilot, practice and practice using a standard system for SAFELY spotting you in and out of tight situations. None of this frantic waving of little fingers or getting run over or banging futilely on the side of the rig. Need big clear arm movements like they use at airports and the spotter must also spot in three dimensions and avoid becoming fixated on one part of the scene.

Have fun. We do and I'll bet that Alpha 99 and the other ones who just wing it do too.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
All you need is some very simple skills

#1 get used to driving in three dimensions rather than two. Third dimension is low bridges, low cables and trees and low awnings. It isn't difficult, just most of us never had to do it, but now we do.

#2 if you tow, get good at disconnecting with a minimum of fuss, so if you do end up at a dead end or tight fuel station you can disconnect, move the toad somewhere safe and out of the way and then get the MH sorted out..

#3 practice reversing the rig - in daylight and night.

#4 remember that when in doubt, getting out and walking a couple of hundred yards is a lot smarter than just blundering in - and you probably need the exercise anyway after sitting behind the wheel all day

then all that time you would have spent worrying about what route to take can be spent enjoying your new lifestyle.

AND most important, if you have a copilot, practice and practice using a standard system for SAFELY spotting you in and out of tight situations. None of this frantic waving of little fingers or getting run over or banging futilely on the side of the rig. Need big clear arm movements like they use at airports and the spotter must also spot in three dimensions and avoid becoming fixated on one part of the scene.

Have fun. We do and I'll bet that Alpha 99 and the other ones who just wing it do too.

Thanks Tony and All,

Your rules of thumb make sense. I'm sure over time these rules will become second nature to me. And if I forget, I am sure one of my brothers will be somewhere nearby taking a video of me making a fool of myself.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Wow.

I put the key in, start it up and go. 65' long towing a Chevy Avalanche behind a 40' DP. Been from Georgia to Montana to Maine and Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island.

No problem.

Cheers!

Absolute great plan !! Check the oil first.

Russell
Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Wow.

No problem.

Cheers!
I've known many "Bold" Pilots"... And I've known many "Old Pilots"... BUT, I've known damn few "Old, Bold Pilots"... It's a DNA thing...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Funny stuff, Stu!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
We also use "next exit". If it is RV friendly it shows up in RED.
If we are staying in a cg for more than one night we will scout out
a fuel stop for when we leave.
Use the Garmin RV and entered all the coaches info.
We were going up 101 and it kept trying to get us over onto another route.
Finally just outside of Florence the screen went red and stated a LOW CLEARANCE.
We found a place to pull over, unhooked the car, and drove up the road.
There was a tunnel with a side clearance of 11'6, but a middle clearance
of 12'6.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My problem with Next Exit... Annie knows where every Kohls, Pier 1 etc is... other than that
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Been playing with TruckMiles.com by ProMiles Software - Free Truck Routing, Maps, Trips, Mileages, Diesel Fuel Prices, Road Conditions and more!. Free truck routing which I load into laptop as it doesn't use a map, only route logs. By clicking on route truck stops it take you to TruckStopGuide.com for list of ALL truck stops on the route.
I have fun playing with it, but I only use the info gained, don't follow every turn. And I'm not recommending, only a FYI.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Wow.

Yessir...that's how we usually do it! Too much planning takes the some of the fun out of the trip. You can go almost anywhere on the interstates and U.S. routes without any problems. A truckers or RV GPS with your height and weight set in it is a big help.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP

Tags
travel, trip wizard