RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Max vs Average Speed.

I would like to see a setting to use "Max" speed vs Average speed. To me that is more "accurate" in calculating time in route. That is because it removes some of the error built into guessing the average speed over a route that may have many different speed limits. As an example I currently use 60 MPH as an average speed. If I am on a route where the bulk of my travel will be on interstates I know that my max speed will be a max of 65 MPH because of my toad restriction. Conversely, If I am on a route with slower speeds I might be doing less than the 60 MPH average.

I know this is a little bit like government tolerances. Measure with a micrometer, mark with a grease pencil, cut with a chain saw. LOL Still, I think MAX speed is better than Average speed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #2

Comes with travel time on the road as to what the best guess might be. After 15 years of full time RV travel, I can safely predict my travel will be 55 MPH average in the lower US. In Mexico, it's 50 MPH. In Canada it's 50 MPH.

If the weather is bad, strong rain or wind storms along my route, I also guess 50 MPH in the US.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

I'm having trouble understanding how max speed would be helpful.

If you're using 60 as an average that's hard to maintain.

I do fine using 50 as an average. IOW, in an 8 hour day, I can usually do about 400 miles. I'm rolling down the freeway at 68 or so, but with stops for meals and fuel, 50 works out pretty well. If you're doing a lot of state highways or two-lanes with slower speed limits you'll average even less.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #4

"average" is just a word. If you want to put in 65 go ahaead though we find 50 works well with stops etc.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
About 45 for me over the years
In all reality
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ya'll are welcome to use average speed. No skin off my back and if they don't act on my request/suggestion I won't loose a wink of sleep. BTW, I would love for my GPS to do the same. But, anyway...

Here is the difference as I think it would work. I say think because I don't know if it would work as I see it.

The difference is that average speed doesn't take into consideration posted speeds. Sometimes your average speed will be more than posted and other times less.

Max speed would use posted speeds up to the max speed setting. So, while it calculates and it sees a section of speeds over the max setting the max speed would be used instead of posted.

Heck, they could keep average speed for those of you that want it but add a max speed setting.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm like Ed, I am having trouble understanding how Max speed has anything to do with calculating estimating times. Maybe getting a good definition of Max speed would be helpful. To me max speed means the fastest speed you have obtained on the speedometer in a given time frame, such as a day. This means that I could have reached a speed of 78mph for only a few seconds one or 2 times while going down a hill or passing a big rig on the interstate. The rest of the time I am maintaining a speed of 62-65. Using this definition max speed has virtually no effect on ETA. If you have a different definition of max speed please clarify.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I'm like Ed, I am having trouble understanding how Max speed has anything to do with calculating estimating times. Maybe getting a good definition of Max speed would be helpful. ...
It really isn't that hard. Max speed would be the maximum speed you would travel at. Since I'm restricted to 65 MPH because of my toad I won't do 70-80 MPH when posted that high. Instead, I go 65 MPH. When RVTW sees posted speeds exceeding the maximum speed it would substituted that for the posted speed. If the posted speed is less than the maximum it would use posted.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Ya'll are welcome to use average speed. No skin off my back and if they don't act on my request/suggestion I won't loose a wink of sleep. BTW, I would love for my GPS to do the same. But, anyway...

Here is the difference as I think it would work. I say think because I don't know if it would work as I see it.

The difference is that average speed doesn't take into consideration posted speeds. Sometimes your average speed will be more than posted and other times less.

Max speed would use posted speeds up to the max speed setting. So, while it calculates and it sees a section of speeds over the max setting the max speed would be used instead of posted.

Heck, they could keep average speed for those of you that want it but add a max speed setting.
I was posting my comment about defining the term max speed at the same time you were doing just that. What you are describing is what I think of as road speed limits. AFAIK, that is exactly what the "Use Routing Engine Estimate" is supposed to do, along with other factors.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:

Well, I understand what you're saying, but there are just too many variables. How long do you allocate for road construction, lunch, accidents? How many fuel stops do you need? How long will they take?

Have you ever calculated how much longer it takes to get somewhere at 65 than 70 or 75? It probably affects the arrival time less than you'd think.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
It really isn't that hard. Max speed would be the maximum speed you would travel at. Since I'm restricted to 65 MPH because of my toad I won't do 70-80 MPH when posted that high. Instead, I go 65 MPH. When RVTW sees posted speeds exceeding the maximum speed it would substituted that for the posted speed. If the posted speed is less than the maximum it would use posted.
I would have never guessed that is what you meant by max speed. BTW, RVTW uses a third party routing engine so they have limited control over things like how it calculates estimated driving times.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 AM   #12

Maybe I am having a slow lightbulb this morning but I just don't see the need or benefit of this.

Average speed has worked for many years for me and seems to be pretty accurate.

Somehow, whatever the GPS uses is pretty accurate also.

Good enough to keep me happy.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Maybe I am having a slow lightbulb this morning but I just don't see the need or benefit of this.

Average speed has worked for many years for me and seems to be pretty accurate.

Somehow, whatever the GPS uses is pretty accurate also.

Good enough to keep me happy.
I agree with you Sue! Each person has a slightly different driving routine, lunch breaks, potty breaks, etc.. or not, that can be all accounted for by adjusting the average speed. My gps has a trip computer that keeps track of moving time, stopped time, and total time. It also keeps track of avg speed for all those times. I pay close attention to avg total speed. Mine has pretty consistently stayed at around 50mph. This takes into account all my stops. If I know I will be making fewer or more stops or I know I will be driving mostly on interstates or on 2 lane roads I can adjust my avg speed in the trip settings accordingly.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #14

I also use 50, have for about 20 years. It is good enough!!!!

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y