Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
New user of RVTW

I have two issues/problems:
1) My MH is 10 ft 10 in high. I put in 11 ft 6 in in the Trip Preferences, yet when I set up all my CG stops for an upcoming trip, it ignored my setting and routed my right up a highway in Geneseo, IL with a 10 ft 0 in RR bridge in the route, I had to drag the route over a couple of streets to avoid the low clearance. I thought the RVTW would rout me around the low clearance.

2) Fuel Stops - (Tank is 26 with 5 reserve) I put in the first fuel stop, for a Pilot station several miles before the low fuel point on the route. First I add the POI for the station, then I clicked the pencil for edit to enter fuel. It said correctly that I had used 19.42 gal and had 6.58, so entered 19.42 for fuel added. So far so good. In 68 miles, we stop for 1 night at a CG, and I put zero for fuel added.
The the low fuel marker shows further along the route. I put in another fuel stop many miles before the next CG on the trip, like before. Problem is that the number of miles travelled is only 7 mile more than the first fuel leg, but it shows only 14.76 gallons used and no matter that I enter 19.4 added at 3.26/gal, the RVTW only shows that the cost is $48 (14.7 gal.)

If I go back and click the pencil on the first Pilot station it shows 26 gal Remaining. If I click the pencil for edit on the second fuel stop, it show 26 gal Remaining. The Low Fuel Warning marker HAS moved up the road. Are there a bugs in the fuel stops calculations? It kinda makes it frustrating to try to use this feature.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 03:25 AM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
1) My MH is 10 ft 10 in high. I put in 11 ft 6 in in the Trip Preferences, yet when I set up all my CG stops for an upcoming trip, it ignored my setting and routed my right up a highway in Geneseo, IL with a 10 ft 0 in RR bridge in the route, I had to drag the route over a couple of streets to avoid the low clearance. I thought the RVTW would rout me around the low clearance.

Are you sure this was on your rout and you weren'e driving over the low clearance? We have found a lot of low clearances we are driving over but the programs can't distinguish the difference and post the low clearance symbol.

2) Fuel Stops - (Tank is 26 with 5 reserve) I put in the first fuel stop, for a Pilot station several miles before the low fuel point on the route. First I add the POI for the station, then I clicked the pencil for edit to enter fuel. It said correctly that I had used 19.42 gal and had 6.58, so entered 19.42 for fuel added. So far so good. In 68 miles, we stop for 1 night at a CG, and I put zero for fuel added.
The the low fuel marker shows further along the route. I put in another fuel stop many miles before the next CG on the trip, like before. Problem is that the number of miles travelled is only 7 mile more than the first fuel leg, but it shows only 14.76 gallons used and no matter that I enter 19.4 added at 3.26/gal, the RVTW only shows that the cost is $48 (14.7 gal.)

If I go back and click the pencil on the first Pilot station it shows 26 gal Remaining. If I click the pencil for edit on the second fuel stop, it show 26 gal Remaining. The Low Fuel Warning marker HAS moved up the road. Are there a bugs in the fuel stops calculations? It kinda makes it frustrating to try to use this feature.

I don't use this feature as I can't see how it can be very accurate. I use the fuel gauge and drive on the top half of my tank. Asking RVTW to tell you your fuel stops is a guessing game. We have had 30-40 MPH head winds that kill any gas mileage, mountain driving is another killer.

I would contact RVTW for both these items if you feel they are true bugs.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post

Mr. Goodbar.....let me take a crack at this one.

I will agree with you, that the fuel calculations are a bit convoluted and not how I expected them to work, initially.

But I believe the issue is that RVTW is calculating the fuel cost [and usage] per leg of the trip.

So, if we use you trip....the reason the first one seems correct is because your fuel stop was the end of your First leg... therefore, the cost of that leg and fuel usage was X.

Then you made a 2nd stop, for which RVTW calculated the cost and usage of that leg and fuel usage was Y. You enter zero fuel added.

Then for your 3rd stop (Fuel Stop) RVTW calculated that leg just like the other 2 legs... we'll say Z

Therefore, you need to add the 68 miles for the 2nd leg to get the fuel usage and cost for those 2 legs together. I believe if you add those together, it will total your 19ish gallon for the stop. ie A = Y+Z

I believe the key phrase here is "Calculated for each Leg" of you trip.

If I am wrong about this, hopefully some else will chime in.

Good luck and safe travels!

Dr. Q
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Are you sure this was on your rout and you weren'e driving over the low clearance? We have found a lot of low clearances we are driving over but the programs can't distinguish the difference and post the low clearance symbol.

Sue46, I zoomed in on the map to the warning icon, which by the way said 10 ft 11 in, and when I clicked on the warning icon, the pop up said 10 ft 0 in. I went Google Maps and zoomed in on satellite and street view. From the state highway running thru town there was a RR track with the road going under and Low Bridge signs saying 10 ft 0 in. It's strange in the fact that all of the other streets in town are grade crossings and the one on the state route is the only one that goes under the tracks. I just dragged the route over to the street a couple blocks away that was recommended by the CG people.

I sent an email to RVTW support, but have not heard back from them.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Thanks, it's not a big problem if I don't pre-plan fuel stops. i usually watch the gauge and when it's down to 3 bars plan the next stop. I agree about the headwinds. Last fall we went to Las Vegas, NV. The headwinds in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, were fierce. Worst MPG I got was going south from Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ, only got 10.1. 3-4 days later on a leg from Gallup, NM to Santa Rosa, NM we got 16.4 MPG. Some tailwind! My average is around 13.2 MPG, which is what i use for estimating. On interstates, I use the iExit Trucks app to look ahead for the next truck stops. It's great because it tells me exactly how many miles to each upcoming exit and I can plan accordingly. Even though I have 5 gallon reserve, mentally seeing that low fuel light on and the 1 bar blinking on the fuel gauge reminds me of the urgency of a fuel stop.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I give up on planning fuel stops. When I add the fuel stops to an existing trip, the low fuel icon does not always move and updating the fuel stop takes multiple attempts to get thing updated correctly. I usually plan the route with campgrounds and then go back and add potential fuel stops. I don't always buy fuel right before or right after a stop for the night, so that seems to screw up RVTW fuel planning.
Just went on trip thru Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota.
None of these truck stop/gas station chains were found by RVTW along the routes that we took:

Kum & Go
Cenex
Conoco
Tesero
Kwik Trip

Pilot/Flying J and Loves aren't that common in the Dakotas or in MN so the fuel planning feature is not really helpful.

Kwik Trip & Cenex seem to be generally Truck/RV friendly in their layout.

I just set Fuel Tank to 10,000 gal and reserve to 1,000 and will forget trying to get fuel planning to work.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

I'm not sure this is going to help you much but this is how I use the fuel burn with RVTW. I have a silverleaf vehicle monitoring system that calculates and displays fuel remaining. When I stop at a campground I update the fuel remaining in RVTW at that campground. RVTW then shows where I need to refuel going forward. I do not put fuel stops into my trip because most times I don't know in advance exactly where I will refuel. This works and seems pretty accurate. However if you plan a fuel stop and put it into RVTW I don't see why it wouldn't show you where you would need to refuel going forward.

As far as display fuel stops, I think RVTW uses POI's, but where they got them from I don't know. They may not be that comprehensive. In addition to using RVTW, I use truck stop POI's from POI factory and display them as a layer in Google maps. Those POI's don't have all the refueling stations either.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

We believe in the KISS methodology. At a half tank, we look at Gas Buddy(assuming we have service), see where the stations are and start looking for stations that we fit in(we are a gasser).

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
We believe in the KISS methodology. At a half tank, we look at Gas Buddy(assuming we have service), see where the stations are and start looking for stations that we fit in(we are a gasser).
Thanks for the feedback.

3 bars on my fuel gauge is about 1/4 tank, not counting the 5 gal. reserve. The instrument panel has a trip odometer and I check how many miles I have gone at 1/2 tank and gives me pretty good idea if I'm getting better or worse than my 13.2 MPG average. (Also, consider any headwind or tailwind). I keep iExit Truck version or iExit regular version running to help find truck stops down the road and it updates constantly with the miles to that exit. (also, rest stops).
Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
RV LIFE Support Team

We use Iexit also, but it is limited to the Interstates which we try not to travel.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Yes, I use Gas Buddy, when on non-interstates.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #12

Seems if this program advertises this gas feature, it should work properly. One of the reasons I bought this is because I"m a newbie driver and I don't have a copilot to watch out for things. I was also having trouble adding in fuel stops as every Flying J from Texarkana to Little Rock was listed with the same address. I backed out of the program several times and refreshed several times and it finally straightened itself out. So far, I am not impressed with this paid program.
GoJipSeeGo is offline   Reply With Quote