Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

New user questions: day trips and route highlight error

Is it possible to map and account for day trips when planning a trip? I'd like to see my mileage and time to destination for all the POIs we also intend to visit on our trip.

Also, using Chrome or Firefox, the program will highlight the route forward when I click on the stop on the left menu. However, the specs on the route as shown on the left don't match the route being highlighted on the right.

For example in this screen shot, I am hovered over a stop that took 5hrs 11min to get to, but the 52 minute segment happening to the next destination is being highlighted on the map. It's making it hard to reconcile map to text:

Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I think day trips are a long term goal. You can account for them by adding them in as stops after the arrival campground, but with 0 nights so it doesn't throw off your schedule. When clicking a stop in the left menu, the route forward is always highlighted on the map. The numbers associated with the stop on the left are the miles and time it takes to get to that stop. The logic is all carried from the starting point, which will have 0 time and 0 miles, and only a forward path.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I think day trips are a long term goal. You can account for them by adding them in as stops after the arrival campground, but with 0 nights so it doesn't throw off your schedule. When clicking a stop in the left menu, the route forward is always highlighted on the map. The numbers associated with the stop on the left are the miles and time it takes to get to that stop. The logic is all carried from the starting point, which will have 0 time and 0 miles, and only a forward path.
So what’s the reasoning for the forward path only? When you click on the final stop it doesn’t make the program crash when it can’t look “forward.” So why not do the same at the start point, just have it highlight the point, since no miles have been accumulated yet? Seems much more intuitive to match the data on the left with the map route highlighted on the right.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
So what’s the reasoning for the forward path only? When you click on the final stop it doesn’t make the program crash when it can’t look “forward.” So why not do the same at the start point, just have it highlight the point, since no miles have been accumulated yet? Seems much more intuitive to match the data on the left with the map route highlighted on the right.
I can see it either way, but prefer the way it works now. If highlighting a stop on the list means I'm already there (like the start point) I want to focus on the route to the next stop rather than the route I've already traveled; the miles shown are miles already traveled. At the start I see the route to my first stop; I just look at that first actual stop on the list to see the distance to be traveled.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I can see it either way, but prefer the way it works now. If highlighting a stop on the list means I'm already there (like the start point) I want to focus on the route to the next stop rather than the route I've already traveled; the miles shown are miles already traveled. At the start I see the route to my first stop; I just look at that first actual stop on the list to see the distance to be traveled.
But for planning purposes (not route guidance once you are on the road), it's confusing from the standpoint of trying to adjust trip segments based on travel time goals.

For example, if I want to keep my routes less than 5hrs in length, and I see a segment on the left that is over 5hrs, I need to find a site closer to my start point. If I click on that segment on the list on the left, because I see it is over 5hrs, I look to the map on the right to find a campground closer to my start point, to shorten the segment.

However, if I use the highlighted segment that is showing on the map as the indicator of the "offender" I'm trying to edit, I end up changing the wrong segment.

It's not intuitive from a planning standpoint (which is the main function of this software, not as a turn by turn GPS). You have to remember that the data you are seeing on the left doesn't correspond to the graphic you are seeing on the right.

I'm a big fan of KISS.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

(however, this is a minor complaint, overall I find this program to be excellent. Perhaps the programmers can take this observation under consideration for a future update.)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
But for planning purposes (not route guidance once you are on the road), it's confusing from the standpoint of trying to adjust trip segments based on travel time goals.

For example, if I want to keep my routes less than 5hrs in length, and I see a segment on the left that is over 5hrs, I need to find a site closer to my start point. If I click on that segment on the list on the left, because I see it is over 5hrs, I look to the map on the right to find a campground closer to my start point, to shorten the segment.

However, if I use the highlighted segment that is showing on the map as the indicator of the "offender" I'm trying to edit, I end up changing the wrong segment.

It's not intuitive from a planning standpoint (which is the main function of this software, not as a turn by turn GPS). You have to remember that the data you are seeing on the left doesn't correspond to the graphic you are seeing on the right.

I'm a big fan of KISS.
Just for clarification and not to be argumentative, I differentiate between trip planning and route planning so I don’t pay any attention to the route set by RVTW. I know the RVTW Route is going from CG A to CG B and the actual route and mileage in my nav system won’t be much different.

For trip planning I use the distance circles in RVTW; mine are set to 250, 350 and 400. Along the general route I know I’m going to be traveling I look for CGs inside those circles. Once I’ve chosen one and put it on the list of stops I look at the mileage to confirm it’s within my limits for the day; I don’t look at the route segments at all. If the distance is too great I touch the previous CG (the one I’m traveling from) and the distance circles are entered back on that CG.

Could you meet your 5 hour limit by using distance circles and setting the accordingly, perhaps 200, 250 and 300? Or do you already do that?
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, route