RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #1

No "Coach length" consideration when route planning is a big problem

I was looking into the RV Trip Wizard program and wanted to know if Trip Wizard would route me around tight turns (my coach is 42 feet). The Demo did not help so I emailed Support.

I asked how I would be routed from my hometown to a destination where I know of a tight right turn (having just run into that turn via Google Maps planning).

Support ran the route and e-mailed me a gpx file (that I could import into Google Maps) so I could review the route. I's a good sign that RV Trip Wizard support is so very responsive to e-mails.

Unfortunately RV Trip Wizard routed me to the worse possible road. Even the State Park website warns against using this road due to narrow winding road.

So it looks like RV Trip Wizard just uses Google Maps (I suppose it adds the POIs for campsite and fuel) but doesn't protect me against taking roads that are too small/tight for my coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #2

I use trip wizard to plot course, find camping location based on the time or miles settings. I then load the destinations into my Garmin 770 to determine how to get from place to place. Maybe someday TW will include RV+ information, but till then I’ll still use Garmin. I don’t use Google maps since they can’t get me to my house, thus I don’t trust it.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

I don't know of any programs that have that ability.

I can't see much of the RVing population needing that. The RVing population is such a small group we should be happy that someone has seen a need and developed the programs.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am not aware of any trip planner that does everything the everyone wants. Heck, we also know GPS systems that don't do it that well either.

Maybe it is the pilot in me but I don't understand failure to trust through verification. Some folks think that driving a big RV should be as easy as driving a car and that "kick the tires and light the fires" gets them safely to their destination.

When we did last year's run up the west coast in our coach we know there were many restrictions to length in California. My Garmin RV GPS did a pretty good job on that front. However, there wasn't a single on-line trip planner that did.

In my personal "flight planning", I run it through both my GPS and RVTW. In some cases I force the GPS to go where I want it to go and in some cases RVTW gets routes dragged to where I want it to go. This is no different than when I used google maps instead of RVTW.

I always inspect new routes I've never been. I do that by using satellite views. I also use state level DOT information for mountainous areas.

Have I ever been given a bum route after doing all of this...you bet. However, I have nearly caught all of them before departure by cross checking my resources as I have mentioned.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't speak to Garmin, but my RM GPS system only uses the points programmed not the exact route that RVTW plotted. I often add additional waypoints to force the GPS to go the way I want to go.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

I think that is true of any migration from one mapping unit to another. Google Maps in the past(don't know now anymore) would just ignore any additional points you put in, always went the fastest way...............

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I don't know of any programs that have that ability.
I know of one... BUT !!!!
It is very very expensive!!!!!!!!
"PCMiler" by ALK
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm one of the people involved in developing RV Trip Wizard. You all are right, the system currently uses Google Maps so Google is the brains behind the routing. We are aware that there are places many rigs shouldn't go and are working on a solution. I can't give you an ETA but in the future, we'll be able to prevent you from taking certain pre-identified routes.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

To much depends on the skills of the driver and his capacity to handle a challenge to be able to come up with any such routing advisories. There is always the option of selecting reverse gear if things get too exciting
Old 05-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I was thinking more like an option to "Avoid routes through road sections reported as difficult to maneuver in an RV" Then we would probably rank these with must avoid all the way through possible but you need to be careful and here is why.

The idea is that people are planning and want to be able to avoid certain situations. We hear it loud and clear and will look for a way to help RVers planning. If you don't want to use a feature like that, just configure it how you want/disable it.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I was thinking more like an option to "Avoid routes through road sections reported as difficult to maneuver in an RV" Then we would probably rank these with must avoid all the way through possible but you need to be careful and here is why.

The idea is that people are planning and want to be able to avoid certain situations. We hear it loud and clear and will look for a way to help RVers planning. If you don't want to use a feature like that, just configure it how you want/disable it.

That is what most folks would love to see. However until the GPS makers and Google allow their product to accept the route created in RVTW without modifying it to the parameters set into their product, we are back to square one.

So you can spend hours creating the perfect route in RVTW only to have your GPS device ignore your work and reroute you to the parameters set into it.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #12

I was going to add a third factor and that is the type of RV which has a huge bearing on how they handle tough situations. Turning circle, length, overhang, power and braking equipment all make significant contributions that when added to poor driving skills turn a reasonable road into a no-go zone for some while the majority would be happy to drive it.

Still, I hear about GPS units that spell out the bends and curves coming up ahead and that some drivers actually drive by it, so for those drivers, I guess some very conservative classifications might be welcome
Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
When I am planning my preliminary routing, I don't want to see the yellow warnings because they obscure the CG's. I lowered my RV height to 8' as suggested in another thread but they still show up.

Any other ideas on how to get rid of/turn them off?

Thanks
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

As a developer, do you need input from RVTW users regarding routes that we will not take? I just had the trip wizard route me down a county road not far from my house. Around here we refer to the road as Hemorrhoid Road. I think that says it all. Beyond that, it has a couple of bridges that are one lane. There is no way I'd travel that road in my coach. In reality, it should be a state road. But Texas wont do it. My concern is that if RVTW will route me on this road, where will it route me in other parts of the nation I'm not familiar with?

RManning is offline   Reply With Quote