Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #1

Plan Entire Trip or Segments?

I am thinking about getting the wizard and wonder if it is best to put in the final destination point at the start or work up to it with a series of shorter trips.

For example, we are leaving Florida for Seattle at the end of the month and wonder how to plan.

Thanks
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

I find it is easier to manage by doing it in segments. I find too many stops gets difficult to manage.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I find it is easier to manage by doing it in segments. I find too many stops gets difficult to manage.
I agree with Sue, both in method and reason.
It's much easier, I think, to tweak a segment.
It's MUCH less annoying if you blow it up trying to make a tweak, if you only have to rebuild one segment and not the entire trip.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Another question: I am more concerned with finding which campgrounds are located at specific driving distances from my last location. Say 100 miles, 150 miles and 200 miles? I am not overly in need of cost information or mileage. My Scan Gauge gives me plenty of info.

Is it possible to enter a specific mileage for a segment without a geographical destination?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

You can, it is called driving radius and you can have up to 3 distances. Go under settings, driving and they can be st up there.

To activate them go to you last stop and on the initial info pane you will see in the upper rihtred and blue circle, just click on that.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You can, it is called driving radius and you can have up to 3 distances. Go under settings, driving and they can be st up there.

To activate them go to you last stop and on the initial info pane you will see in the upper rihtred and blue circle, just click on that.
So this is a circle all around your last location rather than a vector in the direction you want to go?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #7

I have to disagree with the other poster about doing it in segments.

I find it much easier to start with starting point to end point.
I just created my trip from East to West coast and have all KOA stops, gas and rest stops. I like knowing my gas usage. Milage until gas is getting low. Having my driving radius at each stop. The time and distance between all the stops. I can look at my entire trip and know the time and milage from any given point to the next.
But I like planning my trips to now have any issues. I'm not pleasure driving this trip. It is moving to West coast and want to be as accurate as I can because I'm on a timeline.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
So this is a circle all around your last location rather than a vector in the direction you want to go?

Right, you can have up to 3. I usually have 150 200 250 when in traveling mode.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 05-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I generally do my trip as one big trip and then copy the trip and break it down into individual segments. For me this gives me the best results. I can then transfer all the segments into my Rand McNally GPS.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Ron, give www.furkot.com a try. Create your trip using your start and end points, go to the Trip tab and set up your driving speed along with desired start and finish time of day. Then go to the map tab, here you will see suggested overnight stops based on the trip criteria you entered. Now go to the Sleep tab and select CGR (Campground Reviews) and KOA. Go back to the map and you will see all campgrounds on your route. Zoom in to fine tune any particular leg of the trip. If you pick a campground before your suggested first night stop it will reorganize all the stops thereafter for suggested driving distances based on the criteria you set up at the start. I plan each leg as I go so that if we stopped after only 200 miles on any given day, the remainder of the trip gets adjusted accordingly. Play with it, there are lots of features.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Did a trip one time where I planned the entire distance (6000 miles) as one segment. It overwhelmed the GPS whenever a detour was encountered.

Now I will plan the entire trip, run it, see the route it chooses, check it on the map and then create a number of "points" to run as segments. Each way point which is longer than my planned days travel is input at the beginning of the day. GPS likes it and recalculation is lightning fast if a detour is encountered.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #12

I do my trips from home to the furthest point. Once I have a general idea of my route I plan my trip back home. Once I have a general idea of my entire route I start checking for campgounds in my range of driving distance each travel day. Once I get the route confirmed and campgrounds reserved I print out my route. I insert my travel day info one at a time in my CoPilot.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I insert my travel day info one at a time in my CoPilot.
Could the route be inserted into a Garmin RV BBT 600 series multi function device?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #14

I have GPS calculate a route start to stop. Do the same with Google maps look it over to see if I am OK and then program the GPS in segments.

I plan segments of 200/300 miles per day check for CG at approximately 150, 200, 250 and 300. We had winds so bad one day I barley made 85 miles before giving up and finding the closest CG miles.
I do not make reservations but many times I will call the 200 and 250 to see if I will need a reservation. Seldom required.

Once we hit the road it is no longer a trip but an adventure so we have the attitude of just deal with whatever and enjoy. The few misadventures we have had like turning around less than 100 miles from home go back replace front brake lines fortunately NAPA had parts in stock so only a short delay. We dealt with it by camping in our drive way for the 1st night of our adventure.