RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
RV Trip Wizard
Question Rand McNally - Road Avoid?

I have been playing with the demo as well. I have not found a way to mark a specific road segment to avoid. Is that possible? I specifically want to avoid the George Washington Bridge through NYC on every trip. Is there an option in RV Wizard to do that?

Any one here import to Rand McNally? Does the imported routing recalculate if you go off route? Or does it take you back to the previous route even if that means back tracking?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
on the rm 7720 you will have to set the recalculate to manual for it not to automatically recalculate. Don't know about other models.

giteup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by giteup View Post
on the rm 7720 you will have to set the recalculate to manual for it not to automatically recalculate. Don't know about other models.
Thanks for the reply. Just so I understand, if I don't set to manual and I am following a route imported from RVTW and go off route, will it recalculate to my original destination or back to the imported route?

Any input on setting a road segment to avoid in RVTW?
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe to original destination. To get back on the original route you would have to zoom out and find your way back to the original.
giteup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I do import RV Trip Wizard route to Rand McNally.. If I deviate from the intended route, RM will recalculate to either get me back on the intended route, eventually. This functions no different than if I input the route on RM manually.

I have owned navigation systems that allowed the exclusion of parts of cities to prevent navigation through there. I believe that was a Garmin navigation system, but it was a long time ago. I am not familiar with that option on RM, but have not looked for that specifically.

Since RVTW is a "planning" tool and not a navigation system, I use RVTW to plan the route and use waypoint to prevent going through various parts of a city or to completely change the route RM might otherwise take me.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With the RM system if you have set any waypoints to force a specific route it will always route to that waypoint. If you want to deviate from the waypoint you need to go to the RM menu and select skip waypoint. I did forget this early on and kept going in circles! Seems pretty obvious now but not at the time.

Also, remember that the RM, as well as most other GPS units, does it's own routing. The RVTW only exports the starting, set stops, waypoints, and the ending point. Everything between these points is calculated by the GPS.

As to setting a permanent avoid for a section or area my RM has this but I have not been able to get it to work. Tried everything I could think of but no success. Some how I did seem to set an avoid on a road I do use often and can not find where or how to clear it. RVTW does not have this as nearly as I can find.

aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote