RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rest Areas?

Where is the data coming from for rest areas? On my current trip I am finding a lot of locations with a rest area being shown on RVTW, but there is no rest area.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #2

I always use Google Maps for my search. Its nice to look at the size and number of truck/RV spaces before pulling in

Old 09-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #3

We use USA Rest Stops on our iPhones, and it's proven to be reliable in the past. We haven't taken a long trip and used it in the last few months, though.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #4

We don't use interstates very much but when we do we use the Iexit app. Tells you the rest areas and what is at each exit. Shows how many miles you have to the exit or rest area in real time.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

ruebenray, can you cite an example or two that can be researched?
Having accurate rest area data in Trip Wizard is important, it needs to be looked at and verified or fixed.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
A missed or wrong rest area I came across yesterday was on I-65 NB between Bowling Green and Louisville, Kentucky. RVTW shows a NB RA at MM 39. There was nothing there. There was a NB RA not shown on RVTW at MM 59.

There was another one on NB I-65, but I can't remember which one it was. It was either in North Alabama or South Tennessee.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:44 AM   #7

We use iExit and TruckMap. They come in handy when looking for places to fuel as well as rest areas etc.

TruckMap also shows Walmart’s and other places as well depending on what you search for.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #8

I have reported that erroneous rest stop, but it brings to mind another discipline I always use in RV Trip Wizard which is to vet every rest stop with a satellite view. Since it's already built-in, you can do it right there. I initially started doing this to make sure there was somewhere to take the dogs out, but now it's habit...both for that same reason, as well as to make sure it's there and check for big rig parking.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I have reported that erroneous rest stop, but it brings to mind another discipline I always use in RV Trip Wizard which is to vet every rest stop with a satellite view. Since it's already built-in, you can do it right there. I initially started doing this to make sure there was somewhere to take the dogs out, but now it's habit...both for that same reason, as well as to make sure it's there and check for big rig parking.
Is there a location that I can report these at as I come across them?
Old 09-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Is there a location that I can report these at as I come across them?
You can report it using the missing park feature or through the contact us tab from the Help button.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Since I have traveled I-65 frequently in the past 23 years to back home and visit family, I know this highway very well. Kentucky got rid of all of the old, small rest areas and now there are only 2 Northbound, Welcome Center just past TN border and one just north of Cave City at Horse Cave. Southbound there are only 2 rest areas, Welcome Center near Shepherdsville (approx MM 115) and one near Munfordville.

When we are on the road, I keep the app iExit or iExit Trucks running on my phone and it shows all of the upcoming rest areas.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I use AllStays first, and then verify with Google Maps. I like to see if there are enough truck parking spaces. I also look at recent Google reviews to confirm the stops are open, and not under construction that limits access or sites. Many states are closing rest stops due to budget constraints.

Roadmaster Invisibrake & Blue Ox towbar
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote