Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Routing issue - US Hwy 129 in NC/TN

Hi Folks,

Discovered a potential issue w/ routing that could cause some problems. Routing from N Georgia to Eastern TN it's sending me up US Highway 129 through the towns of Robbinsville NC and Chilhowee TN. NC forbids vehicles w/ trailers over 30' on that section of roadway and TN forbids all vehicles w/ a combined length over 30'. My current config in TripWizard is set to the overall length of my rig of 60' (40' Camper + 20' of truck).

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is there some missing data in the TripWizard calculations?
twhayes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

You do not want to try that route with an rv. TripWizard is in need of an update. See https://tailofthedragon.com/
Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

Exactly, a quick google search and you'll an ample number of photo's of rigs that didn't make it and in some cases caused some serious accidents.

Fun road on a motorcycle or sports car, not so much in a big RV...

https://tailofthedragon.com/trucks-on-the-dragon/
Old 09-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Did you confirm that you were on RV Routing and not Standard Routing?
Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
Did you confirm that you were on RV Routing and not Standard Routing?
Yep, first thing I checked followed by the RV length settings for the trip.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

I would notify RVtripwizard, they need to be made aware of this.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhayes99 View Post
Hi Folks,

Discovered a potential issue w/ routing that could cause some problems. Routing from N Georgia to Eastern TN it's sending me up US Highway 129 through the towns of Robbinsville NC and Chilhowee TN. NC forbids vehicles w/ trailers over 30' on that section of roadway and TN forbids all vehicles w/ a combined length over 30'. My current config in TripWizard is set to the overall length of my rig of 60' (40' Camper + 20' of truck).

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is there some missing data in the TripWizard calculations?
That is the "Tail of the Dragon" the most challenging bike path in the Eastern US. <https://tailofthedragon.com/>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
That is the "Tail of the Dragon" the most challenging bike path in the Eastern US. <https://tailofthedragon.com/>
Dunno about that, but it's certainly a challenging and fun ride. I prefer Cherohala or NC 28, or Back of the Dragon (Virginia St Rt 16 between Marion and Tazewell).
Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Dunno about that, but it's certainly a challenging and fun ride. I prefer Cherohala or NC 28, or Back of the Dragon (Virginia St Rt 16 between Marion and Tazewell).
+1 on the Cherohala and 28

Monty
Old 09-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Hi Folks,

First make sure you are changing the Trip Settings and not your User Default Settings. Now make sure you have RV Routing selected on the Routing & Driving tab in trip settings. Be sure to save your changes.
If you are still routed wrong, it needs to be reported to RVTW.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #11

Do not travel US Highway 129

I live in this area and have taken out of state friends over this route many times in a 4 wheeler. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AREA IN A RV! There are may local restrictions on vehicle size in the 129 route. The roads are narrow with a zillon hairpin curves.
It is beautiful country but not in a RV.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #12

Sitting at the Yonah Campground now on 129.....between Cleveland and Helen.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #13

US 129

The area of US 129 that I'm referring to is between Robinsville NC and just south of Maryville TN also known as the Tail of the Dragon.
This area is very popular for motorcycles and sport cars. There are 113 curves in 13 miles. A number of these curves are 180° turns. There are some 8° elevation changes. The desire of the motorcycle riders is speed challenging curves.
There are at least 30 - 50 photographers with websites selling pictures of the action on this highway. www.129photos.com is one.
As I have taken out of state friends over this route many times in my pickup a word of caution to all regular autos, BE PREPARED TO PULL OVER AND LET THE FASTER DRIVERS GO BY. It prevents them from getting upset taking dangerous chances and passing you on the double yellow lines. It has a no passing double line the entire 13 miles.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomonk View Post
The area of US 129 that I'm referring to is between Robinsville NC and just south of Maryville TN also known as the Tail of the Dragon.
This area is very popular for motorcycles and sport cars. There are 113 curves in 13 miles. A number of these curves are 180° turns. There are some 8° elevation changes. The desire of the motorcycle riders is speed challenging curves.
There are at least 30 - 50 photographers with websites selling pictures of the action on this highway. 129 Photos | Highest Quality Photos on the Dragon and Skyway is one.
As I have taken out of state friends over this route many times in my pickup a word of caution to all regular autos, BE PREPARED TO PULL OVER AND LET THE FASTER DRIVERS GO BY. It prevents them from getting upset taking dangerous chances and passing you on the double yellow lines. It has a no passing double line the entire 13 miles.
Even worse, Nomonk...The Dragon has 313 curves in 11 miles....more extreme than you mentioned....grew up, learning to drive on that stretch. It didn't have the fame that it does currently, but was always such a fun road. Last time, I drove thru there, met a tractor trailer in a curve (illegal access). The problem is, you will either bottom out on a grade or block both lanes of traffic, when making a curve....STAY AWAY IN A VEHICLE OF ANY LENGTH.
zonie911 is offline   Reply With Quote