Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
RV Travel planning

I'm a new member to IRV2, so if this is not the correct forum let me know. I'm starting to plan a cross country trip in 2017, does anyone know of a web site or software I can use to plan the trip.

As part of the trip we plan to hit Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, I know campgrounds will be long lead time to book.
RI GlenKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Good Sams has a nice interactive trip planning map with nice options for sight-seeing attractions, camping sites, and filters that will let you plan. Allstays camp and RV PLUS is a good app to use. and then there is Passport America app, with a small yearly fee. There are so many helps out there including a good RV GPS which is a must have. I've found using just one is not the best but using several apps is better for us.
Davisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

I don't have any specific website I use... My method is... once a location has been determined.. I google the route to see what is considered the best "general" route.. and then I study/investigate options along the way...

Of course obsessing over my trips tends to give me an over abundance of idea's..

So, other than google (and a good ol' fashion map), I have started to use tripadvisor.com... it usually gives me some ideas on what to do in a particular area I plan to pass thru..

You've found the other great website I use.. IRV2 and its members are a wealth of information on: campgrounds.. activities in the area.. routes to take... things to do, and not to do.. places worth the time and not worth the time..

Generally speaking, I dare say you couldn't ask about a destination where someone on IRV2 hasn't been to..

Good luck..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us.

Tell us a bit more. Such as what kind of RV do you have, also it's size, and where will you be starting out from. I did that trip last summer without Grand Canyon. There are so many options of places to see. Your campground reservations will be determined by the area you go to. Rushmore has an abundance of CGs. Other places not so. You can always find a place to stay at the last minute. Problem with reservations is if you find a place you want t stay at a couple of extra days you will not make it to you next reservation and lose money in doing so.

Good luck with the plans and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisual View Post
Good Sams has a nice interactive trip planning map with nice options for sight-seeing attractions, camping sites, and filters that will let you plan. Allstays camp and RV PLUS is a good app to use. and then there is Passport America app, with a small yearly fee. There are so many helps out there including a good RV GPS which is a must have. I've found using just one is not the best but using several apps is better for us.

Meeeee 2
Old 02-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

How much time will you have? Do you like full hookups or public parks? RV size?

There really isn't one tool to plan your whole trip. You have to gather information from various sources. To start I'd go to WalMart and get a U.S. road atlas - usually found near the checkouts. Then study each state you'll be driving through and highlight what you want to see. If you have the time, I'd also suggest you don't try to stay on the interstates. You'll see lots more of this beautiful country. Keep highlighting over the coming months as you hear or read about interesting places. Then take your marker and connect the dots.

When you reach this point of knowing what you want to see you can also use a mapping program to create your route by putting in a lot of vias. These programs will first give you the most direct route. However, you can route whichever way you want. It just takes time.

Once you have your route, then pick your stops and search for campgrounds nearby. Come back on this forum when you deciding on a particular area and post a question on where to stay. It's hard for us to help plan your whole trip without knowing much more.

For instance, between Yellowstone and Grand Canyon there's lots to see depending on your time and if you want to deviate a little.

A big trip does take time but I think that's the fun of it - the planning and anticipation.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for the responses. I currently have a 36 ft Class A towing my Wrangler. I prefer full hookups if available but this is camping right? I will keep checking, sounds like there is a need out there.
RI GlenKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

The Allstays ap is grand
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 AM   #9

Put www.campgroundreviews.com in your favorites. It's not an end all, but it'll list RV parks all over the country.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #10

Ramets and CampDaven x2

I like to follow this process:

1. Allstays (worthwhile $10 investment)
2. www.rvparkreviews
3. Websites of the prospective CGs
4. Passport America (also a worthwhile investment)
5. Google Earth

Yes, a bit involved but this gets you to the best CGs and sites within (if choice is available) within the desired price range.

Good luck and enjoy!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RV Parky is a fairly decent app and it's free.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI GlenKathy View Post
I'm a new member to IRV2, so if this is not the correct forum let me know. I'm starting to plan a cross country trip in 2017, does anyone know of a web site or software I can use to plan the trip.

As part of the trip we plan to hit Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, I know campgrounds will be long lead time to book.
For me planning is one of the best parts of trip figuring where to go and what is possible. I start off by using Google Maps - I start with my address and put in the main destinations and then drag the route to where I want to see things. When I want to check if there are campgrounds in a specific area I center the map on the area and do a search for "campgrounds and rv parks" and they show up as red dots. So my first suggestion is Google Maps http://maps.google.com. You can save the routes with your free Google logon. I like google because of the street view feature. I like to look at the campground and exits before hand to get a feel of the road and know what to look for. I also check out the road to see what type it is (2 or 4 lane, curves, etc.) and general scenery. I find planning leads to less stress for me.

When I have my trip figured out on where I am going and as I am a member of the Good Sam Club I use their Good Sam Trip Planner http://trips.goodsamclub.com/ if you are not a Good Sam Member you can get the virtual same program called the Rand McNally Tripmaker Rand McNally - TripMaker. The only difference is the GS version has a link to display the Campground and the Rand McNally you have to search "campgrounds" and they show up along the route like the GS one does. This is a free website and you can create a free logon to save your trips. It also has an extensive list of rest stops and tourist sights that show up on your route if selected. Like the Good Sam Trip Planner which Rand McNally created you can upload your trips to your GPS or print it out. I do my final route on the GS trip planner as I upload the trip to my GPS.

As I look at my trips as more about the destination than where I am staying at I first figure out where I am going and what route I would like to take I then figure out the campground stops along the way. On my cross country trips I try to hold to the 5 hours or 300 mile rule between stops which gives me time to sight see along the way and flexibility to do some sightseeing at my overnight stop by getting there early.

Regarding bookings at Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon - I did Yellowstone in late July in 2013 and had no problem getting in making reservations at the first of the year. We needed the reservations as the place was full. However for the Grand Canyon (South Rim) which I did in late July 2014 the place was not full however we did make reservations six months out for that one. Probably the temperature was the difference.

Last comment - When I am in planning mode one program doesn't do it all for me. I saved on my browser a folder with links to Google Maps, GS Trip planner, Passport America, Escapees, KOA, Rand McNally trip maker. I open all the links in different tabs and find my self going from one tab to another looking stuff up and ultimately making changes to the Trip Planner from what I learned on the other tabs.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #13

X2 on all the above ideas; however, we've started using RV Trip Wizard for planning this year's trip. It's based on google maps, but pulls data from several campground databases. Also, allows for low clearances and steep grades. Once your trip is planned it will print a detailed report. It's worth checking out.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Ramets and CampDaven x2

I like to follow this process:

1. Allstays (worthwhile $10 investment)

2. www.rvparkreviews

3. Websites of the prospective CGs

4. Passport America (also a worthwhile investment)

5. Google Earth

Yes, a bit involved but this gets you to the best CGs and sites within (if choice is available) within the desired price range.

Good luck and enjoy!

And then check your route against the "mountain guide" for truckers and RV'rs for any questionable road conditions.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel planning, trip wizard