Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard Reviews

I didn't even know this tool existed until I saw it on the RM thread! It looks like a great tool to have, but wanted to get the opinions of those using it. Any comments will be appreciated!

http://www.rvtripwizard.com/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use it and find it useful.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use it and find it useful, too. Not ALL campgrounds are displayed.

I like the print feature to print to an Excel spreadsheet because it's easy to keep a travel record.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

We use it as well
Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 AM   #6

It is my main trip planner.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've been using the Trip Wizard for a few weeks now. In my opinion, it falls well short of what I had been using for years (but is no longer sold or supported), the Trailer Life, then RV Roadtrip Navigator software.

First, the old software filled my screen with the map. With Trip Wizard I have my choice of a mini map with a tool bar and list of stops entered so far, or a bigger map (still no more than a third of my screen) with no tool bar, no view of the route so far. In fact, it doesn't even have the Google navigation buttons described in the user manual.

I like to use our Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card, but most of the Pilot/Flying J truck stops don't show on the map.

To search or add something to the trip you have to be on the mini map screen. When I go back to the larger map I have to resize and re-center the map, it will not take me back to where I left off.

If this was the first trip routing program I'd ever seen I might be impressed. This program has potential, but in my opinion is falling far short of what I was using many years ago.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 07-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

I have been using trip wizard since it launched and although it does work ok it is far from perfect. JMonroe does a good job in highlighting issues and I fully agree with him. My biggest issue is that in almost 3 years of using it it has not substantially changed. The small map, the lack of being able to color segments of your route (which would help when one leg of a trip overlaps another) are all factors in my probably not renewing my subscription.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
RVTW is a fairly recent addition to the Social Knowledge Community. The software is archaic & it does not have the campground database that RV Park Reviews does. If a campground is missing, please click on the Missing Campground link, fill out as much info as you can & submit it so it can get added to the database.

Good news is changes are coming to both in the not too distant future which will greatly improve the experience on both sites.

Lori-
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #10

Rv Trip Wizard and Fuel Stops

Thinking about subscribing to this but have a question. Fuel stops are able to be calculating in based on your route. I do agree having Pilot/FlyingJ would be nice. But what I am not seeing is the ability to recommend or not a fuel stop that cannot accommodate your rig size. Does this software take that into account when you pick a fuel stop?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnw0411 View Post
Does this software take that into account when you pick a fuel stop?
Hi Jim,

Not that I can see. Honestly, I've used RV Trip Wizard for trip planning for a couple of years (most recently a 7,000 mile cross country and return trip) and have found it quite useful for planning stops. However, I've never used it for planning fuel stops.

What I have used for planning fuel stops is this web based application: Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder Although it's specifically targeted at diesel truck use, you may fine it helpful. I'd guess that many of the "truck stop" fuel stations recommended on that website are friendly to your gas powered motorhome, too.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just started using it because I liked the radius tool and the RV park links. Not so keen on the idea that it is web-based and not an APP, but will give it a try. So far I found it works better on the bigger screens of desk top and laptop computers than tablets (iPad), but I do use the iPad more often and have been moving that way for some time. I have not used the fuel stop tools with it yet. I've an 8-9 day trip planned from Colorado Springs, CO to NW Washington State later this month. That will be my first test flight with it. I've planned a couple routes for this trip using primarily interstate highways, but one route would use a state highway. We shall see how things go, but I'll not be relying on it 100% (or any other routing tool for that matter). I see where it could be my primary route planning tool, but not yet sure it would be a good tool for real-time route variances due to the web-based nature of it.

The Hamptons, (Wally & Wendy)
NW Washington State
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

What I have used for planning fuel stops is this web based application: Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder Although it's specifically targeted at diesel truck use, you may fine it helpful. I'd guess that many of the "truck stop" fuel stations recommended on that website are friendly to your gas powered motorhome, too.
Thanks Stu. The Truckmaster Fuel Finder looks like a nice tool for finding fuel.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
JFN

I have been using it for a couple years, The most annoying thing is the ring tool, as it calculates as the crow flies not driving miles. Other than that I find it useful.

Before I found RVTP I used the old Sams club trip planner which I liked. the new one is useless as far as i am concerned.
Closed Thread

Tags
trip wizard