Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The RVTW doesn't use the dock for importing the trip. It simply downloads the
GPS file to your disk then you need to rename the file and copy itto the SD Card. No dock required.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 04:57 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
My RM is integrated into an Xite Infotainment system. Do you have a removable SD Card that works with the Docking software. If so, you download the gps file as Download CSV file. Then copy the downloaded file to the SD card. On the SD card is a folder named RM. Open the RM folder. Open the ImportTrip folder and copy the GPS CSV into this folder. I change the name of the file from gps-download.csv to the nameofthetrip.csv. When you plug the SD card back into the GPS it will then import the file and remove it from the ImportTrip folder. The trip will be in the MUTISTOP TRIPS under the name you gave the file.

Hope this works for your system. If you are into file editing, you can edit the csv file contents.
Thanks for the "Leg work" on this. This method worked perfectly...
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #17

I have done the same and am about to call the techs at RVTrip Wizard or RandMcNally to find out what they can advise. I will post here when I get an answer.
oldiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
I had the same issue with my RVND7. The only way I could get a trip from another program to load through DOCK was to download it as a poi. Now that may work if you know anything about GPS unit, but I am still learning how to use one.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:43 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post
I had the same issue with my RVND7. The only way I could get a trip from another program to load through DOCK was to download it as a poi. Now that may work if you know anything about GPS unit, but I am still learning how to use one.
The Dock POI import has a provision for loading into the Address Book. The problem for me with this is I use waypoints in RVTripWizard to force the Nav to go a certain roads and when the file is imported thru the POI it changes the order of the waypoints and it also adds each waypoint to the address book. The file is placed in Groups, but reordered.

By copying the CVS file into TripImport folder the order remains intact ad the individual waypoints don't get added to the address book.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I have saved the .csv file to a folder on my desktop then when I try to import it into the dock software it does not show up as a multi stop trip.
Shouldn't that be the same as putting it on a sd card?
Thanks
Dave
oldsaltyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
YC1

I tried this last night. I exported the trip and imported it into the Rand. It showed up as addresses and not a trip.

Rv Trip Wizard just does not work well for me. It really frustrates me.

I think the way to improve the operation is to break the long trips down into daily trips and then it will recalculate quicker.

Streets and trips still lives on my computer and it is used too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #22

Quote:
My RM is integrated into an Xite Infotainment system. Do you have a removable SD Card that works with the Docking software. If so, you download the gps file as Download CSV file. Then copy the downloaded file to the SD card. On the SD card is a folder named RM. Open the RM folder. Open the ImportTrip folder and copy the GPS CSV into this folder. I change the name of the file from gps-download.csv to the nameofthetrip.csv. When you plug the SD card back into the GPS it will then import the file and remove it from the ImportTrip folder. The trip will be in the MUTISTOP TRIPS under the name you gave the file.

Hope this works for your system. If you are into file editing, you can edit the csv file contents.
This was exactly the information I was looking for. The RV is new to me and I have been getting familiar with the systems. Transferring the GPS file was getting frustrating. I would just enter by hand. Your guidance to use the .csv was the one thing I had not tried. Touchdown! Crowd goes wild.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I tried this last night. I exported the trip and imported it into the Rand. It showed up as addresses and not a trip.

Rv Trip Wizard just does not work well for me. It really frustrates me.

I think the way to improve the operation is to break the long trips down into daily trips and then it will recalculate quicker.

Streets and trips still lives on my computer and it is used too.
The only way I have found to import a Multipoint trip as one trip is be copying the file from your computer to the SD card directly and not using the Dock software. If you have never imported a trip from Good Sam or Rand McNally you may not have the folder "ImportTrip" in the "RM" folder on your SD card. In that case you will need to create the folder. Once the folder is created it will remain on the SD card. When you copy the CSV file into the "RM/ImportTrip" folder be sure it has a meaningful name. When the SD card is inserted into the GPS (Turned OFF) and the GPS is turned ON the system will acknowledge the importing of the trip. Once imported, the file is deleted from the SD card but the folder empty remains. The new trip will be placed under Multipoint Trips.

Be sure you have "Fast Recalc" set ON. This will then only recalc for the next point and not the entire trip.

If you want the entire trip imported as a trip and individual addresses also then using the POI import on the Dock software will do that. It puts each stop as an address in your Address Book and the entire trip in the Groups tab. It does sort Group stops either alphabetically or by distance which I find unusable as I seldom travel by either of these but you can always use the stops which are now in your address book and select them each day.

As an aside here, I make a backup of all the files on my SD card often onto my hard drive. The SD card can not be duplicated, but all of the files can be saved and copied back onto the card should it become corrupt for some reason. I have had this happen a couple of times. I always turn the Nav System OFF before removing or inserting the SD card as precaution.

I find RVTripWizard does not work well with Chrome. It is much better with MS Edge. My all time favorite planning tool is the now unsupported
"RV Plan and Go 3013". When doing long trips I still do them in that program and then manually enter into RVTripWizard. Over all I find RVTW to be a pretty good, evolving program.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
YC1

George,
That is an amazing tutorial and I will save that and experiment with it. The tip about using an SD card is excellent.

I know from working in Electronics for over 50 years that one must read the book, and if that does not work, then follow it.

Yes I must admit I have not gone to work on the manual as I would have in days past.

I had a SD card in my prior Rand so will see if it is still in there. If not, they are cheap.

I took my long trip from Florida to Calif and broke it down into daily trips last night and then made sure all of the address's got into the Rand. Printing out the long form of the trip will make it easy to see what the next waypoint is.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
YC1

George,
Thanks again. While messing with my long trip I was deleting some of the waypoints and accidentally deleted the wrong one.

I did a help search and did not find an undo shortcut. What am I missing to be able to put it back in?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
George,
Thanks again. While messing with my long trip I was deleting some of the waypoints and accidentally deleted the wrong one.

I did a help search and did not find an undo shortcut. What am I missing to be able to put it back in?
Sadly, you are not missing anything, there is no Undo. I keep asking RVTW for that.

If you know how to edit CSV files it is pretty easy to go into the file and label waypoints to something more meaningful than waypoint 1 before copying them over to the SD card.

Just to be clear you can not make a working copy of the SD card (or at least I've not figured out how). Just a backup that you can copy back onto the original.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #27

Quote:

Thanks for this suggestion, I am going to give it a try. Like others in this posting, I have been planning our trips in RVTW, and then manually inputting it into our GSRM system. It takes time, but the greater benefits and capabilities of RVTW make the effort worth it. By the time we hit the road, I am fully prepared to instruct DH pilot where to go and when.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just for clarity.

The ImportTrip folder may not exist in the RM folder. It is only created if you use the Dock software to import from Good Sam or Rand McNally. If it is not on your SD card just create it. Once created (either by the Dock or you) it will remain on the card even after importing. Only the csv file getts deleted after importing.