RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
RV trip wizard to Rand McNally

I have spent hours laying out a new trip on trip wizard and believe I have it done correctly as this is my first attempt. Because I have been using the Rand McNally 7735 for year I want to put the new trip into the 7735 GPS so I can drive with it. I keep trying to save it in trip wizard then putting it into the Rand McNally dock but can't seem to pull this off. Most of the day gone and I still can't get the Rand to see the trip.
Please any help will be appreciated.

oldsaltyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I put it in by hand because it is not worth my time to do what you just did. Sometimes these automated processes take longer than doing it the old fashioned way.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #3

Have you used the "Send to GPS" option in Trip Wizard. It's listed after clicking on the wrench icon. There is information there on using the Rand McNally dock. I'm not a RM user so can't help there.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I intend to load a trip into my RM GPS in a few days via the export to GPS function. I will use the Dock software to get the trip onto the SIM card.

I'll report back my experience, as this is the first time I've done this as well
Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I tried the send to gps and saved it to my desktop in both file formats but then can not get it into the dock successfully.
I did like someone else suggested and just load it by hand to the RM. This works but makes twice the work.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

OK...back with an update.

I could find no way to import RV Trip Wizard into the RD Dock software. I even tried importing the Trip Wizard routing into Good Sams or into TripMaker....no option for that in either one.

As much as I like RV Trip Wizard, it's only good for planning... No help in getting your planned route into the Rand McNally Navigation System
Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thats what I am finding also. I plan the trip on trip wizard then manually apply the stops to RM. Im not sure trip wizard is worth all the trouble. I do like the circles for distance traveled though.
Dave
Old 04-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I like entering the trip by hand from the computer (or cellphone) into my GPS (sorry, not a RM, couldn't see them, anyway that's a different story). There Is a couple of reasons or this.
First, GPS's make mistakes. I am sure you have seen or heard of some strange moves by GPS.I always double check maps before I enter anything in GPS. The map may be Trip Wizard or Google maps, or even the old fashion paper ones.
Next, sometimes she wants to go a different way than I do and if I am sure I am going the right way I may add waypoints that makes sure we go where I want, not her.
And if I do it by hand I am even more familiar with the trip incase the GPS (or My Dear Bride) want to go wandering around somewhere else.
Regardless don't forget to have Phun.
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I've been using the RV Trip Wizard and I like it's features very much.

I'm very disappointed that I cannot export the route into my Rand McMally Tablet 80. I used the Send to GPS function for Rand McNally. The only option is the Rand McNally Dock. I tried installing the the RM Dock on my computer. It said I must connect a device. I connected my Tablet 80 to my computer and tried again. Same message, it did not recognize my RM Tablet 80.

This is very disappointing and makes the trip wizard useless if I can't use my route to naviagate.
eewilson818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Of course you can use your route to navigate. Just do as ChuckD37 says. I totally agree with him. Following a computer route without double checking it can lead you astray with the best of programs. Entering it into your GPS by hand gives you a chance to understand the route, correct mistakes, and modify it to suit your needs.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:17 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD37 View Post
I like entering the trip by hand from the computer (or cellphone) into my GPS (sorry, not a RM, couldn't see them, anyway that's a different story). There Is a couple of reasons or this.
First, GPS's make mistakes. I am sure you have seen or heard of some strange moves by GPS.I always double check maps before I enter anything in GPS. The map may be Trip Wizard or Google maps, or even the old fashion paper ones.
Next, sometimes she wants to go a different way than I do and if I am sure I am going the right way I may add waypoints that makes sure we go where I want, not her.
And if I do it by hand I am even more familiar with the trip incase the GPS (or My Dear Bride) want to go wandering around somewhere else.
Regardless don't forget to have Phun.
Thanks Chuck
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #12

We still use MS Street & Trips for planning. We do a whole season route. Once we have the route planned, we transfer the route, a leg at a time into ALK CoPilot.

Since we use two tablets for driving, one for each of us, we do the entering of the trip legs on one of our smartphones and transfer the legs routes into the tablets using WiFi transfer. One of the advantages of using Android units.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsaltyone View Post
I have spent hours laying out a new trip on trip wizard and believe I have it done correctly as this is my first attempt. Because I have been using the Rand McNally 7735 for year I want to put the new trip into the 7735 GPS so I can drive with it. I keep trying to save it in trip wizard then putting it into the Rand McNally dock but can't seem to pull this off. Most of the day gone and I still can't get the Rand to see the trip.
Please any help will be appreciated.
My RM is integrated into an Xite Infotainment system. Do you have a removable SD Card that works with the Docking software. If so, you download the gps file as Download CSV file. Then copy the downloaded file to the SD card.

On the SD card is a folder named RM. Open the RM folder. Open the ImportTrip folder and copy the GPS CSV into this folder. I change the name of the file from gps-download.csv to the nameofthetrip.csv.

When you plug the SD card back into the GPS it will then import the file and remove it from the ImportTrip folder. The trip will be in the MUTISTOP TRIPS under the name you gave the file.

Hope this works for your system. If you are into file editing, you can edit the csv file contents.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Have you used the "Send to GPS" option in Trip Wizard. It's listed after clicking on the wrench icon. There is information there on using the Rand McNally dock. I'm not a RM user so can't help there.
I tried but couldn't make it work with dock. Thanks