RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

Rv trip wizard trip total

Please help me understand the TRIP TAB (RED) on the left side of the screen. I just came off a 21 day trip and i tried to keep my expenses for fuel and site rental in RVTW ( RV Trip Wizard ) this proved to be to difficult so i went back to the old pad and pencil.

Fast forward to my next trip in a couple weeks, 25 nights and 3027 miles. I started out by putting $0.00 in the TRIP TOOLS, TRIP SETTINGS. I did this because I am able to get real time site rates from the most current reviews or the website of the park. I am also able to look at daily contract fuel prices at Love's, TA, and Pilot fuel stops. This makes my planning for fuel squeeze out every dollar by making my fuel stops with the best price. I have set an average of 6.5 miles to the gallon in DEFAULT SETTING under my user name. This seems to be very accurate average on FUEL USED and ESTIMATED ARRIVAL FUEL.

Here is my question. I fill up about 2 miles from my house at the end of each trip so that i can start out with a full tank and i can keep track of the fuel used on that trip. So on stop number 1 my starting point i have $0.00 as fuel cost and 150 gallons of CALCULATED DEPARTURE FUEL. At the first stop after 407 miles at 6.5 miles to the gallon i should use 62.62 gallons of fuel just as RVTW displays in the EDIT tab for that stop. I also add the $40 for the CAMPING TOTAL. The next day i have LOVE"S set up as a stop with zero nights camping. The LOVE'S is 46 miles away another 7.1 FUEL USED. I have now used an estimated 69.72 gallons of fuel to get me back to my 150 full mark. I can see that the current contract price for diesel is $2.28 per gallon at this particular stop for a cost of $158.96. My next stop is 195 miles away where i use 30.12 gallons as noted in FUEL USED and $68.67 in FUEL COST adding an expense that i have already paid for under my TOTAL LEG COST.

At my next stop a LOVE'S i spend zero nights but i add 73.22 gallons at $2.75 per gallon for a total of $201.35 at this point i like to check the OVERRIDE BOX and put in the actual gallons shown on my receipt . This will allow me to keep detail records of actual fuel used and cost on a trip.

From what i can see is that RVTW wants me to put in the cost per gallon on my next stop and bill the fuel used to that particular leg of the trip as it is removed from the tank. From what i have seen in the trucking industry and in my life i want to know how much fuel i put in, where i was at, the cost of that fuel, to include any long idle periods or running of the generator. This gives a more realistic picture and matches up to my receipts for the fuel depot. The way it appears to be handled in RVTW is to charge the fuel out over several stops. I have tried to get RVTW to save the fuel as I fill up but it seems to default back to this allocation method. PLEASE EXPLAIN

With the ability to see contracted fuel prices i try to fill up at locations / States where the fuel is less expensive. The fuel prices in OK vs IL is $0.50 a gallon difference.

Thank you for your assistance.
RVTW should be able to look at my trip and see what i am talking about.

Jeff Voigt

JeffreyVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Jeff,
Take a look at this video and see if it helps.

The fuel features and functionality are, in my opinion, intended for accurate trip planning ahead of time. While the cost of fuel will vary, your need for the fuel won't vary that much. You can mitigate a fair amount of fluctuation by keeping a larger reserve. Motorhomes should keep at least 25% as reserve. For me that's 25 gallons, I plug in 30 in that field. That extra 5 gallons gives me a little more flexibility. I can plan a 3000 mile trip and hit every fuel stop on target. You do need to be cognizant of your MPG, yes. I know that I get around 8 mpg, but I am also all electric, so when it's hot the genny runs to power the A/C, and when it's cold I'm using the AquaHot a bit more. So I plug in 7.5mpg.

There is no reason to edit the details manually after the fact unless you just want to, or unless your initial assessment was way off. It may take a couple of trips, but you should be able to target every fuel stop almost exactly, and use a good all around value for the fuel cost and come out reasonably well.

The same applies for Camping costs. Pick a default value that more or less reflects your average cost and put it in as the default for budgeting. If you want exact costs, you can enter those manually as you book reservations ahead of time. For those that aren't booked or you aren't sure, leave the default unless you know it's a freebie.

Hope that helps a bit, holler if it doesn't.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

I have looked at the video for a 2nd time. I understand how it works. I am just trying to get it to do real time trip cost. It would be nice if if it would save the changes that I put into the Trip Calculator when I click on SAVE in the lower right hand corner. It saves the changes until you log off and then log back in.
RVTW has the capability of doing so much more with just a few updates. If you ever need a beta tester please let me know. I have done this for years in the automotive industry.

Jeff Voigt
JeffreyVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #4

I"ll pass along the word on that JeffreyVoigt. Really good beta testers are always needed.

Tags
trip wizard