RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #85
rb2

Before I got the Pilot/Flying J card NOBODY gave me the GS discount just s blank stare!

rb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2 View Post
Before I got the Pilot/Flying J card NOBODY gave me the GS discount just s blank stare!
I usually go to the truck lanes. Following the prompts on the pump screen (I may not have the order correct):
  • Swipe credit card
  • Swipe GS membership card
  • Skip unit number
  • Choose "Tractor"
  • Skip DEF (unless I need it)
  • Enter zip code
  • Start pumping

Some where in there the price on the pump is reduced by the discount. Rarely have I gotten a printed receipt, but I keep a paper log, to match up purchases with the credit card statement at end of the month. In 2.5 years, I have never encountered a clerk who did not know about GS discount. Only time the above did not work was at a Pilot in Las Vegas, NV. Clerk said there is so much credit card fraud, that they do not allow pay-at-the pump, but I still got my GS discount.

Mr.Goodbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #87

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
I usually go to the truck lanes. Following the prompts on the pump screen (I may not have the order correct):
  • Swipe credit card
  • Swipe GS membership card
  • Skip unit number
  • Choose "Tractor"
  • Skip DEF (unless I need it)
  • Enter zip code
  • Start pumping

Some where in there the price on the pump is reduced by the discount. Rarely have I gotten a printed receipt, but I keep a paper log, to match up purchases with the credit card statement at end of the month. In 2.5 years, I have never encountered a clerk who did not know about GS discount. Only time the above did not work was at a Pilot in Las Vegas, NV. Clerk said there is so much credit card fraud, that they do not allow pay-at-the pump, but I still got my GS discount.

So are you saying you use a credit card of choice not the FJ card? I donít use the truck lanes because I have a gasser I wonder if it works at the gas pumps?
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #88

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both the GS and FJ Card work at the gas pumps, but there are some exceptions based on station ownership. Best thing to do is go to the Pilot/Flying J website to download the station Excel file. It will give you all locations, whether they honor discounts or not, and also which stations have RV Lanes. I find it very useful when laying out a trip.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since Good Sam Trip Planner is now defunct, I guess this thread is also...
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Just FYI. GS trip planner isn't defunct. They had their new one up and running the day the old one disappeared. So far I do NOT like the new. May be time to bite the bullet and learn a different planner.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #91
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridafran View Post
May be time to bite the bullet and learn a different planner.
RV Trip Wizard has a 30 day full refund policy. If you watch some videos and take a little time to learn the system, you might like it.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
RV Trip Wizard vs Good Sam Trip Planner?

Once you get through the learning curve, imho nothing come close to RVTRIPWIZARD. I agree watch the videos online which are all a great help.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #93

Thumbs up RVTW over GS Trip Planner - Thanks for the posts!

Thank you all for having this forum re: the pros and cons of the RV Trip Planner. My recent attempt to plan our 30 day trip out west, was troublesome since I had only ever used the GSC Trip Planner in the past. It was functional and user friendly.. UNTIL!!! They upgraded on 4/10/2019 and I use that term loosely since to me it was a downgrade. They removed all my saved trips prior to 4/10 with a link to get to them that does not work. You can no longer see the distance between each stopping point and overall I was extremely dis-satisfied to find out it is no different than the new Mapquest which also does not suit my purposes. Sooooo you all were talking about this RV Trip Planner and I went to the Demo!! I am ecstatic. And the post I am replying too talked about the MPG and the ability to plan our trip and stops based on the miles we would like to travel every day. This is outstanding.. don't ever try to make your trip planner like MapQuest or GSC... I have cancelled my membership with GSC and am becoming a member of RVTW. Thank you all again... as the navigator of our yearly trips, this planner is a Blessing to me!! I can't wait to take it out for a test drive in August. The other features are just too many too mention. But, being able to track fuel usage and the cost of our stay including food??? That idea is over the top, excellent for me!
walkinspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinspirit View Post
Thank you all for having this forum re: the pros and cons of the RV Trip Planner. . I have cancelled my membership with GSC !

Please let us know how that works out ... Good Sam has a "no refund" policy.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #95

good sam trip planner

I have used the good Sam trip planner for over two years and found it to be very helpful. However, as of April 2019 they changed the format which is really clunky. Further, I do not see any way that you can save a trip in the event you wish to work on it at a different time. The save button only sends it to an email in a format that my computer does not recognize. Therefore the saved file cannot be opened. Does anyone know how to save a a trip using the good Sam trip planner?
rbkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #96
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkane View Post
Does anyone know how to save a a trip using the good Sam trip planner?
I don't think it's currently possible.

Consider signing up for RV Trip Wizard. There is a 30-day money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Tags
trip wizard