Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question RV Trip Wizard vs Good Sam Trip Planner?

I've been using the Good Sam Trip Planner for a few years, since we're already members of Good Sam. I'm interested in the RVTW, but can you please explain the differences and why it might be better? Thank you!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been using RV Trip Wizard for the past year after having used GS Trip Planner for years. Trip Wizard is extremely easy to use; allows you to filter sites by affiliation (great for us membership full timers) and so far has proven to be exceptionally accurate on locations, pricing and routing.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why do you need a trip planner?
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
18 rv parks/stops in three months and 19+ US states........a trip planner is very beneficial.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #5

I am my own trip planner and use all the tools at my fingertips to create my daily trip on word document. I include From and To locations, mileage, estimated travel time, price of campsite...

I then send this document to family, so they know our whereabouts.

I only do this for extended trips of at least a 20 day period.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
I've been using the Good Sam Trip Planner for a few years, since we're already members of Good Sam. I'm interested in the RVTW, but can you please explain the differences and why it might be better? Thank you!
One of the primary features of RV Trip Wizard is rooted in the fact that it's agnostic to discount clubs or affiliations. For example, the KOA trip planner will suggest KOAs. The Good Sam Trip planner will suggest Good Sam parks. RV Trip Wizard lets you select the various clubs/discounts/affiliations and sort them based on your preference.

RV Trip Wizard has other features that are unique as well. Many of them are related to your rig and specific information for your trip. For example, you can put in your MPG and it will figure out your fuel costs when you need to refuel, etc.

The Trip Wizard also provides more detailed trip cost information. For example, it takes the costs of campgrounds, fuel, daily expenses, etc and adds them up so you can more easily budget.

The RV Trip Wizard is also integrated with RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks so you can easily see ratings and link to reviews, tips, and Q&A from other RVers on nearly every park in the USA. Doesn't matter if the parks are or are not affiliated with any certain club/discount program.

You can also see elevation changes in RV Trip Wizard which are nice to make sure no grade on your route is too steep. Not sure you can do that on Good Sam Trip Planner.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The primary thing that drew me to RV Trip Wizard was the concentric distance circles. When planning a long trip, I need to know what stops are available at the end of the driving day. I have learned that under the Driving tab in Trip Preferences, I set My Average Driving speed as 55mph, then set my distance rings at 225 (inner) 250 (middle) and 275 (outer). This way I can shoot for the middle and find stops in that range. I use RVTW in conjunction with other tools, looking for other resources that are in those distance circles. There are tons of other great features, but it's all about the circles for me.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
One of the primary features of RV Trip Wizard is rooted in the fact that it's agnostic to discount clubs or affiliations. For example, the KOA trip planner will suggest KOAs. The Good Sam Trip planner will suggest Good Sam parks. RV Trip Wizard lets you select the various clubs/discounts/affiliations and sort them based on your preference.
The GS Trip Planner will show all campgrounds as long as you check boxes next to the three choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GS Trip Planner.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	192196  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
RV TripWizard is a fantastic tool for planning your trips. I've been using it for years!

Give it a Free try! https://www.rvtripwizard.com/

It can be used for planning any kind of trip. Any RV, Tent, Fishing, Touring...
The most versatile tool I've seen!

Safe Travels and enjoy the views!
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #10

Before using RV Trip Wizard I use the Good Sam planner. IMHO it is heads and tails better. Yes it is not free, but good things have to be paid for.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I've been using RV Trip Wizard for years also. In my opinion it's far superior to GS planner, worth every penny. The updates they have been making are really nice.
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just started to use trip wizard and one thing I miss from GS is the nearby attractions. I see the POIs but miss the call outs of the cool things nearby. Could be I just don’t know how to show them.

Jim
Warmrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 AM   #13
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

In the POI filter there is a button in the lower left called +Additional Area Attractions. Expand that and you can choose to have a variety of area attractions show up. Just hit the green Save and Close button in the lower right after you make your choices.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
The primary thing that drew me to RV Trip Wizard was the concentric distance circles. When planning a long trip, I need to know what stops are available at the end of the driving day. I have learned that under the Driving tab in Trip Preferences, I set My Average Driving speed as 55mph, then set my distance rings at 225 (inner) 250 (middle) and 275 (outer). This way I can shoot for the middle and find stops in that range. I use RVTW in conjunction with other tools, looking for other resources that are in those distance circles. There are tons of other great features, but it's all about the circles for me.
X2 for me.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard