RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

RV Trip Wizard Wrong Campground Location

I made reservations at Uchee Creek military campground near Columbus, Ga and the detail screen shows address as 7 Uchee Creek Dr which is correct. When I used RVT to plan my route, it located campground at Ft Benning Welcome Center which is several miles away. The actual location of campground does show on map, but it was not used to plan my route. Very confusing until I figured out what happened. Greg

svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

I ended up deleting the Uchee Creek campground stop and added a new stop with the correct address of the campground. That solved my routing issue except it complicated my route change in Copilot for turn by turn navigation. There were so many corrections in Copilot I had to cancel trip and start over to correct the true route.

Now when I look at my list of stops,Trip Wizard shows the distance from Niceville Fl to Uchee Creek (Columbus, Ga) as 777 miles and 12+ hours enroute. The real distance is around 200 miles. How do I get program to recalculate correct distance? Greg

Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #3

I finally got the routing correct (except for the incorrect mileage from Niceville Fl to Columbus Ga) for my trip so I used the tools to list the turn-by-turn directions. The list showed on the screen, but I couldn't print the 15 pages. I got a screen error that it didn't print and I needed to check my printer. While I was trying to do the print again, the RVT program just closed itself with no warnings. I have been using Chrome browser. I finally ran out of time to finish planning my trip on RVT so I will have to rely on other turn-by-turn devices.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
I finally got the routing correct (except for the incorrect mileage from Niceville Fl to Columbus Ga) for my trip so I used the tools to list the turn-by-turn directions. The list showed on the screen, but I couldn't print the 15 pages. I got a screen error that it didn't print and I needed to check my printer. While I was trying to do the print again, the RVT program just closed itself with no warnings. I have been using Chrome browser. I finally ran out of time to finish planning my trip on RVT so I will have to rely on other turn-by-turn devices.
I made some progress on printing problem. When I had a total screen freeze on RVT I decided to reboot computer to see if it made a difference. After the reboot I was able to print and solved the screen freeze. I have no idea whether my laptop was part of the problem, but have not had any freeze ups in any other program.

Regarding the extra 500 miles on my route to Columbus. I looked at the turn by turn printout and found a great circular route that happened when I did a an accidental "route drag" function. I didn't think that part of route was active since it was not as bright as main route. I could not figure out how to erase that part of route. Is there a route erase function I'm missing? Greg
Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #5

Be sure to report the incorrect map location for the campground to the RVTW folks. They will fix it. I had an issue with a campground in SD that showed up on the RVTW map across the river in NE. (The map location was another campground that had a similar name). But, after reporting the issue, they got it straightened out on their map.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
I made some progress on printing problem. When I had a total screen freeze on RVT I decided to reboot computer to see if it made a difference. After the reboot I was able to print and solved the screen freeze. I have no idea whether my laptop was part of the problem, but have not had any freeze ups in any other program.

Regarding the extra 500 miles on my route to Columbus. I looked at the turn by turn printout and found a great circular route that happened when I did a an accidental "route drag" function. I didn't think that part of route was active since it was not as bright as main route. I could not figure out how to erase that part of route. Is there a route erase function I'm missing? Greg
Typically if you get an unreasonable milage number in your route it's because either a stop is out of order or what you found in your case. It's not always visually obvious, but if your highlighted route is darker in one or more sections, it's being traveled more than once and you need to understand why. Happy travels.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Typically if you get an unreasonable milage number in your route it's because either a stop is out of order or what you found in your case. It's not always visually obvious, but if your highlighted route is darker in one or more sections, it's being traveled more than once and you need to understand why. Happy travels.
Mike, thanks for the help. You're right about the route being traveled more than once. My route was going passed my stop at Uchee Creek Campground, around Atlanta, almost to Augusta and back to our campground near Columbus.

The route drag function can mess you up if you forget to click it off after you move a route. Every time you touch your key pad or click your mouse a new route will appear. After playing with it for awhile, I noticed that all the routes created by the route drag function had a new little circle on the map that represented a waypoint. I couldn't delete these waypoints/routes on the map, but I found the waypoints listed under the itinerary stops on the left side of screen. Next to the waypoint is a little trash can icon which I used to delete the extraneous waypoints. As I deleted these waypoints the associated routes on the maps began to disappear. I kept deleting these waypoints until the map showed just the real routing I wanted to keep. This means of deleting routes was not intuitive to me. I suggest that a "right click" on waypoint symbol on the map with a confirmation "delete waypoint" box would be a more intuitive way to delete unwanted routes.

Once I figured out how to delete extra routes, my frustration with RVTW eased and I was able to fix my routing quickly. I also got quick feedback on fixing the correct lat/long for the Uchee Creek Campground. I am excited again about the capabilities of RVTW to plan an extended trip. If the plan to transition it to a turn-by-turn function is successful, it will be hugely popular with the RV community. Greg
Old 04-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just one other comment about setting waypoints. If you have some set in your planning itinerary, and you subsequently decide to move the adjacent destinations around in your itinerary, or add/subtract some, those waypoints will not necessarily move with the destination they are associated with. I haven't quite figured out what actually happens, I just know now that if I manipulate my itinerary and waypoints had been part of the original, then I better check where they landed after I moved things around. But I do love this tool. I used to use MS Streets and Trips and it set a very high bar. But now that MS no longer supports it, RVTW for me is the next best thing. It still has a way to go, but it certainly is a useful tool.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Just one other comment about setting waypoints. If you have some set in your planning itinerary, and you subsequently decide to move the adjacent destinations around in your itinerary, or add/subtract some, those waypoints will not necessarily move with the destination they are associated with. I haven't quite figured out what actually happens, I just know now that if I manipulate my itinerary and waypoints had been part of the original, then I better check where they landed after I moved things around. But I do love this tool. I used to use MS Streets and Trips and it set a very high bar. But now that MS no longer supports it, RVTW for me is the next best thing. It still has a way to go, but it certainly is a useful tool.
Mike, thanks for the tip on waypoints. I agree with your assessment that RVTW is a useful tool and I especially like how you can review and choose campgrounds along your route. The route drag function was also a great tool for changing routing after I learned the pitfalls of what happens if you forget to click off the function when you're done. I think RVTW is probably the best candidate to be a comprehensive RV navigation system if they can transition it to a turn-by-turn system on a phone or tablet.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is one RV park in Wisconsin that two different GPS units will lead you far away from. The problem is the GPS is using the company mailing address and not their physical address. I suspect something similar is going on here.

I agree with the prior post, report it and it will quickly be fixed.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
This is why after I print out the stops from RVTW I confirm the lat/long coordinates.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, cat, trip wizard