RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
AudiDudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Uumm... I think this thread started regarding and is talking about RVTW.

Then that program might need updating if it does not give accurate or complete information. Point being, one might need to use more than one program to get the information one needs to use when traveling otherwise one might make uninformed decisions.
__________________

__________________
Mike & JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
'16 Prism 24G / '02 HitchHiker 38 LKTG
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Then that program might need updating if it does not give accurate or complete information. Point being, one might need to use more than one program to get the information one needs to use when traveling otherwise one might make uninformed decisions.
Yup
__________________

__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro 34 PA
2010 Pontiac G6
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Dutchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 8
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Uumm... I think this thread started regarding and is talking about RVTW.
Yes we are talking about Trip Wizzard.
This program costs $ 39.00 and is missing entirely too much info.
Dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #18
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Yes we are talking about Trip Wizzard.
This program costs $ 39.00 and is missing entirely too much info.
RVTW does an excellent job of trip planning. It does not do everything. If it showed every gas station in the US you still would not know if your rig would be able to fit. The developers choose to include truck stops where any rig can use.

What information is it missing relating to trip planning?
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 40' American Tradition & '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #19
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,688
This program is for trip planning, not gas station finding.



If gas stations are your primary need when trip planning use Gas Buddy.



I personally never use gas stations to plan my trips. I would rather see the country than plan around where a gas station is. I just fill up as needed. Have always found one when needed, never a problem.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #20
Dom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Kelowna B.C.
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I presume you are gas vs diesel. If yes, you will still need to check configuration of both Flying J/Pilot stations. Most Pilots have gas lanes perpendicular to the store building. Not all Flying J's have RV Lanes. You can go to the Pilot website and download a spreadsheet with each station's attributes, or you can download the Pilot/Flying J app to get the same.
On those stations that are perpendicular, I try to go into station on the right side along the store, then pull into the last set of pumps on the outside of them, if that makes sense. We are 36ft towing a full size jeep, with the fill tube at back of the motor home. seems to work good.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
RonLC's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I personally never use gas stations to plan my trips. I would rather see the country than plan around where a gas station is. I just fill up as needed. Have always found one when needed, never a problem.
It took some getting used to but I am really liking RV Wizard. Especially for finding camp grounds relative to my preferred driving distances.

I am not saying it for here but I would pay for a good app that lists stations (besides major truck stops like P/FJ) that have lanes with satellite pumps. I need to fuel both sides at the same time because my tanks do not have a crossover intended to equalize the levels between them. At close to 65' end to end towing I don't do much turning around in tight places.
__________________
Ron & Peggy Carter
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS
2017 Buick Enclave/AF1
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Alan_Hepburn's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Posts: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
This program is for trip planning, not gas station finding.

If gas stations are your primary need when trip planning use Gas Buddy.

I personally never use gas stations to plan my trips. I would rather see the country than plan around where a gas station is. I just fill up as needed. Have always found one when needed, never a problem.

I fully understand that the program cannot show EVERY gas station on EVERY road, but it would be nice to include maybe some of the top-tier stations along major non-interstate roads. We usually don't look ahead for gas, but when you're driving through the middle of nowhere it would be nice to see an upcoming station before you pass the exit! We use Gas Buddy a lot for that reason.
RVTW is nice enough to let us know when we hit our driving limit based on our reported fuel mileage, and reserve amount in our tank - why not go to the next step and show us where we can refuel?
__________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #23
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
It took some getting used to but I am really liking RV Wizard. Especially for finding camp grounds relative to my preferred driving distances.

I am not saying it for here but I would pay for a good app that lists stations (besides major truck stops like P/FJ) that have lanes with satellite pumps. I need to fuel both sides at the same time because my tanks do not have a crossover intended to equalize the levels between them. At close to 65' end to end towing I don't do much turning around in tight places.

Ron, All truck stops have master/slave pumps. I wouldn't waste my time on a regular gas station unless you are desperate.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:06 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
RonLC's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Ron, All truck stops have master/slave pumps. I wouldn't waste my time on a regular gas station unless you are desperate.
Pardon me Sue46 but Au Contraire. I have stumbled on, by accident, many regular stations with truck pumps out back. They are not "truck stops" nor do they have the normal amenities of a truck stop such as parking, showers or CB radiios for sale. And importantly, they don't have the high fuel prices of P/FJ, Loves or TA.

Rockies and BP for example frequently have truck lanes out back or on the side that have satellite diesel pumps. Fuelman and Trucker Path Apps will list stations as truck stops or 18 wheel friendly and not have satellite pumps. I always double check these apps with an air photo. Bottom line is that I would like to have an app showing all stations with satellite pumps, truck stop or not. But, RVTW is not where it should be.
__________________
Ron & Peggy Carter
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS
2017 Buick Enclave/AF1
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I fully understand that the program cannot show EVERY gas station on EVERY road, but it would be nice to include maybe some of the top-tier stations along major non-interstate roads. We usually don't look ahead for gas, but when you're driving through the middle of nowhere it would be nice to see an upcoming station before you pass the exit! We use Gas Buddy a lot for that reason.
RVTW is nice enough to let us know when we hit our driving limit based on our reported fuel mileage, and reserve amount in our tank - why not go to the next step and show us where we can refuel?
I'm with you Alan! Fuel stops are an important part of trip planning especially when you get off the interstates and there are long distances between small towns. We don't need all the gas stations, just the ones where the pump islands are parallel to the buildings.

We are new to RV navigation but have 30 years of navigating cruising sailboats. Our last boat navigation program did it all... a laptop system with route planning, turn-by-turn navigation, radar integration, weather, ship avoidance, and audible warning system. I am not impressed by RV navigation systems because I need too many to be effective. I need RVTW for route planning, campsite selection and hazard warning. For turn-by-turn I need a Garmin GPS; for a partial view of gas stations I need
Google Maps; to get traffic info I need Waze; I need Gas Buddy for more gas station info; and I need real paper maps since the GPS sometimes goes haywire. Most of the data is there, it just need someone to integrate it. Greg
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:25 AM   #26
Senior Member




 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,688
When we were driving a diesel we could go a long time between fillups. If I recall would normally go about 500-600 miles and still had plenty of reserve, that would be at the half tank level.



Our gasser has a small tank, 80 gal so we only drive 300-350 before we need to fill up.



Still have never had a problem finding a station that would fit us.


Ron I never heard of any of the stations you mentioned except BP and I thought they went out of business. Yes, you can find some stations that have truck fueling but for the OP he needs a master/slave and that is not always true in the smaller stations.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Victory Blue's Avatar
 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
I'm with you Alan! Fuel stops are an important part of trip planning especially when you get off the interstates and there are long distances between small towns. We don't need all the gas stations, just the ones where the pump islands are parallel to the buildings.

We are new to RV navigation but have 30 years of navigating cruising sailboats. Our last boat navigation program did it all... a laptop system with route planning, turn-by-turn navigation, radar integration, weather, ship avoidance, and audible warning system. I am not impressed by RV navigation systems because I need too many to be effective. I need RVTW for route planning, campsite selection and hazard warning. For turn-by-turn I need a Garmin GPS; for a partial view of gas stations I need
Google Maps; to get traffic info I need Waze; I need Gas Buddy for more gas station info; and I need real paper maps since the GPS sometimes goes haywire. Most of the data is there, it just need someone to integrate it. Greg
How much did your boat nav system cost? Much of what you’re using for your RV is free. Many users squawk when someone charges a nominal fee, like the $39 charged for RVTW, because the unreasonable expectation in today’s world is that an app (even a free one) should do everything. Although much of the data might be readily available no one is going to do the integration to produce another free or cheap app, and few will pay for the value they get.

I get by very well using RVTW and Copilot running on an iPad.
__________________
Bill & Lynne
Memphis, TN
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B - Victory Blue
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,622
Folks,

Do you want RVTW to do EVERYTHING for $40 a year? I don't because some of the data sources it would pull from would just clutter it with junk and more bad info RVTW has no control over.

I use Gasbuddy but not for fuel stop planning in the manner some seem to be asking about. Why? Gasbuddy doesn't have a clue what kind of vehicle I have and doesn't weed out small stations I would avoid like the plague. It's trip planner is no better, in fact worse for RVs, than RVTW's.

I still find I need to use a few separate resources to "trust but verify" things. Google maps to see satellite views of CGs and Fuel stops is a major part of my planning. I like to run google maps instead of blowing up the maps on RVTW. That is MY choice but you can use RVTW to do the same.

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder is another fueling resource.

The fuel reminder is nothing but a guide. It helps keep your mileage in perspective. It gives you a visual reference that might help you plan the best place to refuel. It helps overcome the fact that range rings are "as the crow flies" and not driving miles.

Another example is that RVTW has integrated elevation information into its maps. Most old school mountain drivers would say that it isn't a substitute for various trucker mountain guides. I find that helpful for general use.

Perhaps it is the pilot in me that has taught me to be thorough in my "flight plan" and take some time to save time and aggravation to the best extent possible.
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 2015 DSDP 4320 4369, FL Chassis, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import from one users Trip wizard to my wizard JFreitas RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics 2 07-06-2017 06:22 PM
Low bridge/rest stops/trk stops for US wb7auk Just Conversation 10 03-03-2014 05:38 AM
Good gas stops near Mandeville LA and Columbus TX seadogjim Navigation, Routes & Roads 9 12-15-2013 10:23 PM
Diesel prices at truck stops vs gas stations Jake21 MH-General Discussions & Problems 35 12-02-2012 09:37 PM
Onan Gold Marquis 5500 gas stops after 3-5 minutes smerrett Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 06-21-2012 06:41 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.