RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Exclamation RVTW marks wrong location using Address Search feature

I'm planing a trip to visit family. Plugging in the home address (319 RT31 north, Washington NJ) RVTW marks the spot on the map and routes to it. But it is not the correct location. It's off by a couple of miles, which makes RVTW take a route that is not correct. The big problem is that RVTW had me coming up Jackson valley Rd and turning right on RT31 (headign south), when it should have been a left turn (heading north) on RT31.

Putting the same address in Google Maps, the address/location is shown at the correct place on the Map.

In the screen shot below, for RVTW, I had to pick the correct the spot on the Map and make it a Custom stop. The larger "purple marker pin" is where RVTW thinks the location is. The smaller marker-pin (red with "D") is the correct location.

So, to developers, can you fix this? It's not a big deal on this trip since I know where I'm going - but could be a problem if trying to route to a campsite or location that I haven't been to before, as RVTW would route me to the wrong place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google Maps location.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	258349   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVTW location.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	258350  

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

Google the address and drop that little man (lower right corner) onto the street in front of the push pin. And then zoom down on the spot. Somewhere while you're zooming, you'll see the coordinates on the lower bottom of the screen. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where they show up, but they do. Write those down.

Now go to your GPS (I don't know what a RVTW is but assume it's a GPS brand?) and enter those coordinates as your destination. What I got was: 40.782155, -74.974274

Waiting for developers to fix something might take far too long.

Did a google check for RVTW and it comes up as RV Trip Wizard. Can you input coordinates instead of an address? Every GPS app or device I've ever used allows that so probably RVTW does too. At least it's worth checking.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim,
The Google coordinates are 40.7819586,-74.9741961,19.75 (same as you found, within a few feet I think) but apparently those are not GPS coordinates - but some coordinate scheme Google came up with (?). So one can't use those numbers outside of Google.

However it's not a problem as I was able to add the correct location in RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) by scrolling up the map and then clicking on the correct location and entering that location as a "Custom" stop. Then I deleted the location RVTW picked for the address. So no problem for me on this trip.

The real problem is - if I did not recognize that the location RVTW used was wrong (say first time to a new campground) I would not know there was a problem until I'm near the campground and cant find it (or the routing tells me to turn left instead of right - which could take a while to recover from).

I noticed in "my" RVTW program, the the program developers have been in there and created a new trip to that location (presumably to verify what is going on) so they are looking at this.

It could be a one off (no one will ever experience this) or maybe some coding error in the program that RVTW is now aware of. Either way, I've reported it and they took notice.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

What I showed above are indeed GPS coordinates...it's just ONE of several methods used to show a spot on the globe. There are math formulas to convert one method to another which I have and occasionally have to use but it's rare these days I have to do the conversion. Sure one system might use a different system of coordinates, but they all take you to the same place. It's not a 'Google' system, it's a universal system. I use it all the time with my generic eBay sourced GPS device. Get the coordinates from google, plug them into the GPS. No address needed.

It's called the Degree & Decimal minutes coordinate system or the DD system. Then there's the DMS system, which is Degrees, Minutes, Seconds system. Here's a tool to convert from one to another or to convert an address to the coordinates: GPS Coordinate Converter

Well, whatever, it's good to hear the RVTW guys are watching for things to pop up on the RV'ing forums and got to looking at your issue so quickly.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for that info and link. I learned something new today.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Waiting for developers to fix something might take far too long.
Not necessarily, I have contacted RVTW support and found them pretty responsive to fix things like this within a 2-3 days. Things like wrong location of fuel station, wrong name of a CG, etc.

If you are wanting some new feature, then that might take longer.

Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat