RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #1

RVTW Routing Criteria

May I tell my wife that RVTW generated routes are RV friendly?

We are leaving West Yellowstone next week for Banff via Glacier NP. She is worried that some of the roads along the RVTW route might be white knuckle for her.

We are not newbies but she tends to fret a little at times.

2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Currently RV Trip Wizard only warns you about low clearances and lets you route around them. There is an upgrade coming very soon that is supposed to be RV Friendly and take height, weight, length, and propane status into consideration and route an RV Safe route for you automatically. I think it's probably only a week or two away.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

The RV LIfe App(new recently) which is part of the same corporation has this available. No matter what an app says it does I would take it all with a large grain of salt and verify.

What is OK for one person is not OK for another so I don't see how an app can do what you want.

If you get onto a road that she is uncomfortable on and she is driving, take over the driving for that road.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Welcome.

The addition of RV size criteria to RVTW, as mentioned above, will add to your route confidence, but itís not there right now.

Iíve found that, even using a GPS-based, RV specific nav system, itís a good idea to ďflyĒ the non-interstate part of the route Iím going to be driving using Google maps in satellite mode. I look specifically for tight turns and switchbacks and sections of the route that might expand out to 4 lanes. I also look for the presence of semi trailer trucks that might have been on the route when the satellite photos were taken; if there are trucks my confidence level goes up.

Flying the route also allows me to double check that the route takes me to exactly the right destination and not just close because the nav software couldnít resolve the address.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

You might want to get the RM Truckers

Atlas.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #6

Great answers. Thanks.

So, what criteria does RVTW use for going from A to B? Shortest distance, mostly freeways, scenic, Google Directions?

The routes that I have seen so far and used since having the app were just fine.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Per an email, I had this week from RV Life support, the RV routing they are using in the new app is coming to RV Trip Wizard in the next few weeks. They told me they are still using Google Maps [right now] for the maps, but not Google routing, in preparation for the upcoming changeover.

If anyone is interested in the new RV Life App GPS and Campgrounds, you get a discount for being an RV Trip Wizard subscriber.

Let's hope we see a new RV Trip Wizard update in the very near future!