RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeshel View Post
I entered my rig type and height fr a trip to Wilson NY (near Niagara Falls) on Lake Ontario. I wanted to avoid tolls and any difficulty. Unfortunately it sent me on the Lake Ontario State Parkway which had overpasses that allow only 11'7" at the shoulder and about 12' in the center. NOT a good fit for a Class A DP standing about 13".
Most of NY Parkways do not allow commercial vehicles (possibly for that very reason?) so I wonder why Trip Wizard would send me that way?
Can we get them to correct that so no other poor shnook gets in trouble?
Fortunatly for me I saw the sign in time and even better, there was an exit JUST b4 the over (under?)pass.
Did you set the "RV Safe" option in the trip routing settings of RVTW? "Standard" routing won't look at your RV height.

With the new RVTW, I went back to a year old trip that routed under a 10'11" RR underpass, even though it had a yellow diamond on the map under last year's RVTW. I turned on the "RV Safe" (even though it is in BETA) and RVTW changed the route to a better road, the "truck route".

Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
We have improved our low clearance data over time in RVTripWizard. The RV LIFE app provides turn by turn GPS directions based upon the height, weight, length, and propane status of your RV. This will provide an additional route check to your route. As others mentioned, no system is 100% guaranteed to be accurate. As the roads, obstacles, low clearances, etc are changing over time.
Does RVTW apply a safety margin? I other words, if I enter 12' 6" will it happily let me go under a bridge that it thinks is 12' 7"?

Or does RVTW give a "Close to limit" warning or similar? So if I put in 12' 6" it will alert me if I'm going to be routed under a 13' 5"?

If not, the latter would be a nice feature particularly if you let me pick the margin.

I've just started looking at your product and have no experience with it.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #17

We are 12.5' and enter 13.5' as our height. We provide our own safety margin. I would never trust a height measurement for a road that only gives my 1" of clearance. You don't know if the road has been repaved or the person measuring was a bit challenged that day.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We are 12.5' and enter 13.5' as our height. We provide our own safety margin. I would never trust a height measurement for a road that only gives my 1" of clearance. You don't know if the road has been repaved or the person measuring was a bit challenged that day.
Agreed and that is what I do as well. Road-induced bouncing, etc. it's all a complication.

It still would be nice to know what the app thinks the height is. That can make submitting corrections on "close ones" more meaningful.

Ray
Old 07-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #19

Knowing Height

As I am the OP, I can tell you that the new version seems to do the job. It also lists the height if you enable "Show Hazards" and zoom in on the "signs".
Nothing is perfect, but having a "buffer" zone and following the route on the map by zooming in will help (As I now see it)
I'll know more as I start going ful time next year, but for now - this was a great improvement.
Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeshel View Post
As I am the OP, I can tell you that the new version seems to do the job. It also lists the height if you enable "Show Hazards" and zoom in on the "signs".
Nothing is perfect, but having a "buffer" zone and following the route on the map by zooming in will help (As I now see it)
I'll know more as I start going ful time next year, but for now - this was a great improvement.
Thanks for the update.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #21

I find it completely unbelievable that ANYONE would depend on a computer program that would risk the multi-thousand dollar investment they have in their RV. These data are supposedly updated by other RV'ers? Anyone talked extensively with RV'ers for any amount of time?

For a number of years I was a land surveyor employed by the City of Newark, NJ, and it was my responsibility to measure bridge height clearances for repaired and resurfaced roads (in addition to other duties). A contractor would notify the city when such a project was completed, and that info would essentially filter to our office (couple of weeks give or take). We would then schedule a survey team out to actually measure the new clearances. (Another week or so). That info was then approved by the engineer in charge of the project to be sure it and a lot of other measurements met the contract requirements. Once completed, the info was then sent to the sign shop where a new signs were made (weeks, if not a month or or more), and then sent to a road crew who finally placed the signs. (perhaps another week to a month) Now the signage reflected the actual bridge height, and any changes an RV'er could be expected to report to the mapping software people. Are you beginning to get the idea on how this works and how long it takes??? For anyone to risk an RV on any data they get from a mapping program is ludicrous. DON'T DO IT, or you may be paying, big time.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
NXR

What's your suggestion?

I would think that relying on a hard print book like the Trucker's Atlas could be even further behind reality.

The reality is also that an astonishingly small percentage of vertical clearances change materially each year and the chances I will encounter one that has decreased is even smaller.

I use all information as data points for the decision I will ultimately make. As the driver the responsibility is ultimately mine. It's just situational awareness.

Ray
Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What's your suggestion?

I would think that relying on a hard print book like the Trucker's Atlas could be even further behind reality.

The reality is also that an astonishingly small percentage of vertical clearances change materially each year and the chances I will encounter one that has decreased is even smaller.

I use all information as data points for the decision I will ultimately make. As the driver the responsibility is ultimately mine. It's just situational awareness.

Ray
Yep, that's the solution. YOU are ultimately responsible. Don't think anything out there has the absolute truth. Pick your route with the best info available, verify it with any other info that you can find and then constantly watch where you are going. The signs are the best and most current information, but even they can't beat a sharp eye and suspicious nature. I've hit a few places where I was in opposing traffic lanes to get under something that was either mis-marked, or suspicious. Me hanging on the ladder while DW inched under something has not been necessary YET, but it's the final arrow in my quiver. Your rig, your problem.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yep, that's the solution. YOU are ultimately responsible. Don't think anything out there has the absolute truth. Pick your route with the best info available, verify it with any other info that you can find and then constantly watch where you are going. The signs are the best and most current information, but even they can't beat a sharp eye and suspicious nature. I've hit a few places where I was in opposing traffic lanes to get under something that was either mis-marked, or suspicious. Me hanging on the ladder while DW inched under something has not been necessary YET, but it's the final arrow in my quiver. Your rig, your problem.
Good luck seeing the height sign soon enough to do anything about it....going 60 mph.

Use all the computer, apps and trucker atlas in preplanning. When a sign says this is not a truck route then do not test if they are telling you the truth.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Good luck seeing the height sign soon enough to do anything about it....going 60 mph.

Use all the computer, apps and trucker atlas in preplanning. When a sign says this is not a truck route then do not test if they are telling you the truth.
Then maybe you shouldn't be going 60mph in areas where a questionable bridge is coming up???

YOUR RIG, Your Responsibility! However you do it.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Then maybe you shouldn't be going 60mph in areas where a questionable bridge is coming up???

YOUR RIG, Your Responsibility! However you do it.
Who drives any where at 60 when questionable. How do you know when it is questionable? No map indicates this area is questionable be aware