RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Sent me on Road with LOW Bridges

I entered my rig type and height fr a trip to Wilson NY (near Niagara Falls) on Lake Ontario. I wanted to avoid tolls and any difficulty. Unfortunately it sent me on the Lake Ontario State Parkway which had overpasses that allow only 11'7" at the shoulder and about 12' in the center. NOT a good fit for a Class A DP standing about 13".
Most of NY Parkways do not allow commercial vehicles (possibly for that very reason?) so I wonder why Trip Wizard would send me that way?
Can we get them to correct that so no other poor shnook gets in trouble?
Fortunatly for me I saw the sign in time and even better, there was an exit JUST b4 the over (under?)pass.

Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

Many of us have said that you need to verify the route. Ieither with th RM Truckers Atlas or drive the route with Google maps. I would never "assume" anything, even an interstate.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

If you blindly follow a gps, or follow someone else's directions you will eventually have this happen again.

The only way to be sure you will not have this happen is to consult a Trucker's Atlas prior to travel. It only takes a few minutes to check your route and check for low clearance issues.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Low clearances need to be submitted for inclusion in the database. The database was built with member input & still is.

You can use the Contact Us link on the site to enter where & GPS coordinates for any low clearance.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Did you enter your rigís height into the program? You need to do this.

Cheers

DJ
Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeshel View Post
I entered my rig type and height fr a trip to Wilson NY (near Niagara Falls) on Lake Ontario. I wanted to avoid tolls and any difficulty. Unfortunately it sent me on the Lake Ontario State Parkway which had overpasses that allow only 11'7" at the shoulder and about 12' in the center. NOT a good fit for a Class A DP standing about 13".
Most of NY Parkways do not allow commercial vehicles (possibly for that very reason?) so I wonder why Trip Wizard would send me that way?
Can we get them to correct that so no other poor shnook gets in trouble?
Fortunatly for me I saw the sign in time and even better, there was an exit JUST b4 the over (under?)pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Did you enter your rigís height into the program? You need to do this.

Cheers

DJ
Does that help?

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

Add Info to Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Low clearances need to be submitted for inclusion in the database. The database was built with member input & still is.

You can use the Contact Us link on the site to enter where & GPS coordinates for any low clearance.

Lori-
I looked for that link first and did not see it so I thought I would post it here.
The entire Parkway should be off-limits for any vehicle over 11'7" since most of the over/underpasses are the same or close.
As for the "RM Truckers Atlas", I wish I had known about it. We are new to this and still learning. I checked the route on Google and my GPS as best I could.
Would an dedicated RV GPS have helped?
Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #8

A dedicated GPS might help but it is only as good as its data base. There is a webstite, lowclearances.com that you an download and then load the POIs onto th GPS. Nothing is perfect and never will be.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 06-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #9

You also have the unexpected. We were in Oklahoma last year and a road was closed due to construction, took the detour and there was a low bridge plus we exceeded the weight. Luckily we were able to turn into an oil well site and parked. While we were pulling out our maps the supervisor came over, told him our problem and he told us which way to go. This was in the middle of nowhere so we were very appreciative of his local knowledge.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 06-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
RVTW

Ikeshel - sorry to hear about your experience. Submitting updates to support@rvtripwizard.com or via the app is the best way to update the system.

As Lori mentioned, we do appreciate updates from the community as it makes the data better for everyone as a whole.

RV Trip Wizard currently shows low clearances based upon the height of your RV so that you can determine the best way around the obstacle.

We have improved our low clearance data over time in RVTripWizard. The RV LIFE app provides turn by turn GPS directions based upon the height, weight, length, and propane status of your RV. This will provide an additional route check to your route. As others mentioned, no system is 100% guaranteed to be accurate. As the roads, obstacles, low clearances, etc are changing over time.

Also, stay tuned for an announcement regarding RV Trip Wizard as well.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Like a few others stated. Don’t put your blind faith in any database or GPS. I spent a career working with and reconciling databases. There is still something to be said for good old fashioned manual investigation. Use a guide such as this but verify using RM Truckers Atlas. It has an entire section devoted to low clearances. Review it ahead of time and you’ll have a much better shot of an uneventful trip due to a low clearance.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:21 AM   #12

Don't feel bad. Google Maps once put me on this one with no warning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Low Bridge.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	250835  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #13
RVTW

Check out the RV Safe Routing feature from the video below. Now using RVTW, you have essentially two sources checking low clearances. The first when using RV Safe Routing, your routes will automatically be routed around low clearances. In addition, the low clearance indicators that you see on the screen is from our crowd sourced dataset. I believe people will find that when using both sources the vast majority of low clearances are in RV Trip Wizard.

New Features

RV Trip Wizard YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...pHjlqyZC0WRZdg
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeshel View Post
I looked for that link first and did not see it so I thought I would post it here.
The entire Parkway should be off-limits for any vehicle over 11'7" since most of the over/underpasses are the same or close.
Actually, the entire Parkway (and almost all the others in NY plus the Merritt in CT) should be coded as off-limits to any RV. They are posted as passenger-car only. It's not just because of clearances, and the software should not depend on clearances to keep RVers off those restricted roads. It shouldn't depend on "crowd sourcing" for that sort of thing.

spuds is offline   Reply With Quote