Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Setting hard dates

This has been discussed in the past, and I'm finding myself at a point where it would REALLY be nice to be able to set hard dates at certain stops in a long trip. We are planning a trip for next year that will last 3 months, and cover about 9000 miles. As part of the trip, we'd like to stop at a couple of FMCA regional rallies. It would be really nice to be able to specify the dates for those rallies so we can easily plan the stops before, and between, those rallies. Of course, it can be done manually, by counting days but it sure would be nice if the program could help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

A new release of RVTW is planned for first half of next year. The hard date stop issue is suppose to be included but no guarantees. Depends on the testing.

For now I would suggest you make each stop a separate trip with each rally being the end point. IMO this is simpler to manage.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #3

Hope the tests go well. Setting hard dates would be a tremendous help in planning.
Redwood_38RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood_38RL View Post
Hope the tests go well. Setting hard dates would be a tremendous help in planning.
At first this seems like something that would be simple to implement, but it has turned out to be a very complicated logic problem. Not only do we need to allow setting specific dates for stops, we need to maintain it's current functionality. We do have some very smart and creative developers, so I am very confident it will happen in the near future. The other thing delaying this feature is a major project to streamline the code making the entire system much faster and smoother. This goes to the very core of the program. It is currently in testing and going well, it should be available early in 2020.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the update Larry. Looking forward to the upgraded version.
Redwood_38RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #6

We often break up a long trip into several segments. I suggest making your hard date stops the last of one segment and the beginning of another. Use the notes for the stop to jot down the actual reservation information.
One of the great things about being self contained in a motor-home, is being able to stop almost anywhere if the place you were planning to stop is not available when you arrive. But we mostly make reservations for the evening at our lunch stop and there was only one time, in 12 years, that we wound up staying in a parking lot.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

X2. We find multiple, continuous trips easier to manage.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Hard Dates would be nice

I am a new user and in the course of my initial planning I have also found that the ability to set Hard Dates would be helpful.

I do find the suggestion(s) of setting up multiple trips, each ending on the Hard Dates, to be interesting and I will give it a try.
Davejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

At first this seems like something that would be simple to implement, but it has turned out to be a very complicated logic problem. Not only do we need to allow setting specific dates for stops, we need to maintain it's current functionality. We do have some very smart and creative developers, so I am very confident it will happen in the near future. The other thing delaying this feature is a major project to streamline the code making the entire system much faster and smoother. This goes to the very core of the program. It is currently in testing and going well, it should be available early in 2020.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 12-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #10

Another consideration; create your one long 3 month trip with dates as accurately as you can. Copy that trip and rename it. The new renamed version can then be clipped into smaller segments more easily managed.

It's generally what I do.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #11

Has there been any progress in this area?
I would really like hard dates especially during this time of cancellations and CG's not opening as planned.
When a reservation is cancelled or changed I would like to be able to delete that stop and have the program tell me that I need to find a CG for a range of dates rather than change the dates of a reservation that I already have made.

Maybe I'm missing something and I can do that now but I think hard dates are what I need.
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

We are testing fixed dates internally right now.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #13

Really excited about this feature. I have "fixed dates" a lot in any itinerary and I'm always spending time checking that I haven't screwed them up. This will be great!
rashers is offline   Reply With Quote