Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I am not sure what just changed, but as I started doing more testing it has suddenly started working both with Edge & Chrome. I have just created a new trip 10 times and it worked every time.

When I first started testing this time it did not work and then suddenly it did.
Hopefully this means the discussion got someone looking at this. I kept waiting for something to change - I've been using it for 1 1/2 years now - and trying different options. Finally reached a "fed up" point.

Don't believe it on the drop down holding the value in the past. I tried clicking on those also and would end up in random parts of the country. I gave up on that and, as I said previously, started typing it in exactly the way the drop down showed it and that wasn't working either.

Maybe they're fixing things. But I'm still hoping your "using my location" will be my answer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #16

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Trip Wizard issues

I have found Trip Wizard to be the best routing tool for my needs. We just returned from 6 months coast-to-coast and I planned the entire trip on Trip Wizard. That doesn’t mean it’s perfect, but for me it’s the best of all the mediocre tools out there. I wish it was better. I also have issues with trying to create new trips and the cross country trip keeps opening, or old stops that we made on our last trip pop up on the new trip that I am trying to plan. I use an iPad exclusively and think perhaps this tool is more a laptop tool than an iPad tool, which is unfortunate. Still, I use it.

My latest issue is that we would like to plan a trip involving travel on the Skyline Trail and Blue Ridge Parkway, but Trip Wizard simply WILL NOT route me down either of these roads. I’ve read websites where people rave about their RV trips on these roads, so I know they must be RV safe, but Trip Wizard will not allow me to go there. Even if I manually put in stop ON the parkway, and change the settings to avoid highways, the tool still takes me down a highway and back up into the mountains to get to the manual point I inserted. It’s very frustrating.

I have tried using the “drag route” tool, but that’s obviously only made for laptops, as I cannot drag anything on an iPad without dragging the entire map.

Just my latest frustration with Trip Wizard.
54bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bob View Post
I have found Trip Wizard to be the best routing tool for my needs. We just returned from 6 months coast-to-coast and I planned the entire trip on Trip Wizard. That doesn’t mean it’s perfect, but for me it’s the best of all the mediocre tools out there. I wish it was better. I also have issues with trying to create new trips and the cross country trip keeps opening, or old stops that we made on our last trip pop up on the new trip that I am trying to plan. I use an iPad exclusively and think perhaps this tool is more a laptop tool than an iPad tool, which is unfortunate. Still, I use it.

My latest issue is that we would like to plan a trip involving travel on the Skyline Trail and Blue Ridge Parkway, but Trip Wizard simply WILL NOT route me down either of these roads. I’ve read websites where people rave about their RV trips on these roads, so I know they must be RV safe, but Trip Wizard will not allow me to go there. Even if I manually put in stop ON the parkway, and change the settings to avoid highways, the tool still takes me down a highway and back up into the mountains to get to the manual point I inserted. It’s very frustrating.

I have tried using the “drag route” tool, but that’s obviously only made for laptops, as I cannot drag anything on an iPad without dragging the entire map.

Just my latest frustration with Trip Wizard.
Agree with everything you said about the benefits of Trip Wizard. I've tried other "recommended" options and nothing comes close. I started this particular thread hoping that it would trigger either a viable suggestion (which I now have) or a repair in in the function.

You said you think your issues may be iPad rather than laptop. No worries there. I use a laptop and have all the problems you mentioned.

With regard to your attempt at the Blue Ridge Parkway, I wonder if you have your rig settings such that you shouldn't be on that road. I'm not sure if it has that feature built in or not but I know our GPS has saved us a couple of times. We wanted to do Natchez Trace Parkway but I now believe that our rig is too big. Or maybe the program blocks out roads that would be difficult. I seem to remember that it's a winding road in a car.

I just looked at the tunnel clearances: https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/tunnels/

Although you can make it through the maximum heights, which are "at the centerline stripes of the road" the side clearances are low. I could imagine that the Trip Wizard people don't want to be responsible for people taking off the top of their RVs. Seeing those clearances, I know I wouldn't want to take ours.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
To the OP.

At one point you mentioned you're wanting to try various options out while planning your trip. You can copy any of your trips, rename it slightly, and feel free to make changes without affecting the original one bit. Click on the tools icon (crossed wrenches at the top of your list of route stops) and one of the options is "copy". I had at least three copies of this summer's trip itinerary made before I settled on one, deleted the others.

As for routing on the Blue Ridge, I suspect your entered parameters are the issue. Is there a weight limited bridge or section of road, a low tunnel, or....? This could include roads needed to access the parkway too. I didn't check on the size of you rig but it is not, in my opinion, good for big rigs. I'd suggest day trips in the toad, moving your base after exhausting all there is to see from one.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
To the OP.

At one point you mentioned you're wanting to try various options out while planning your trip. You can copy any of your trips, rename it slightly, and feel free to make changes without affecting the original one bit. Click on the tools icon (crossed wrenches at the top of your list of route stops) and one of the options is "copy". I had at least three copies of this summer's trip itinerary made before I settled on one, deleted the others.

As for routing on the Blue Ridge, I suspect your entered parameters are the issue. Is there a weight limited bridge or section of road, a low tunnel, or....? This could include roads needed to access the parkway too. I didn't check on the size of you rig but it is not, in my opinion, good for big rigs. I'd suggest day trips in the toad, moving your base after exhausting all there is to see from one.
Thank you for pointing out the copy feature in the tools. I hadn't thought of that but it will help me. - Love this forum!

The Blue Ridge Parkway website says it is fine for Big Rigs but once I saw the tunnel minimums, that would discourage me. Obviously, some people do it and love it, but I'm with you on day trips with the toad instead.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
Trip Wizard Support

Exclamation

Thanks to a user that sent in a video and several screenshots from the developer console, we have figured out the problem with the Trip tab and will have a fix for this released on Monday.
EMY92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMY92 View Post
Thanks to a user that sent in a video and several screenshots from the developer console, we have figured out the problem with the Trip tab and will have a fix for this released on Monday.
Good to know. Thank you for the update.

Tags
trip wizard