Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Starting "new trip" often doesn't work (RV Trip Wizard)

This may have been asked and answered but I didn't see it when I searched.

9 times out of 10 when I try to create a new trip, I put in the name, the start date, and where I want to start. I even click on the name that is offered in in the drop down menu. Then the program goes back to the main menu of "open trips" or "new trip."

I try different things like changing the date, changing starting point, etc. and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it takes too long to get this working to actually create the trip.

I'm hoping that other users have found the trick to overcome this flaw in the program. I have no idea why it isn't working.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

RV Trip Wizard is still the best route planning option I've found, but this is driving me crazy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I haven’t seen this behavior at all. What platform and browser are you on?
Old 06-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I haven’t seen this behavior at all. What platform and browser are you on?
Windows and Google Chrome.

This has been a consistent problem for me. I thought maybe it was because I overlapped dates because sometimes when I was trying a new trip, it would kick me over to one of my other trips.

I like experimenting with a couple of different options until I decide on my trip and/or route. I also wondered if the program doesn't like that.

But today, again, I tried a new trip, not overlapping any dates and it just went back to the main screen of "open trips" or "new trip."
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Have you tried clearing the Chrome cache (instructions below) or testing with a different web browser, such as Firefox?

If Chrome is misbehaving, you can do a deep refresh of the page by pressing CTRL + F5. You may need to clear Chrome's cache manually, by clicking the three vertical
dots in the upper right-hand corner, then choose Settings. Scroll to the bottom and choose Advanced, then click on "Clear browsing data". See that only the Cached images and files is checked...uncheck any other choices as we don't really want to clear any other items at this time. You should also see that the Time Range setting is set for "All time". Now click the Clear Data button. Afterwards, close and re-open Chrome and see if there is any improvement.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Have you tried clearing the Chrome cache (instructions below) or testing with a different web browser, such as Firefox?

If Chrome is misbehaving, you can do a deep refresh of the page by pressing CTRL + F5. You may need to clear Chrome's cache manually, by clicking the three vertical
dots in the upper right-hand corner, then choose Settings. Scroll to the bottom and choose Advanced, then click on "Clear browsing data". See that only the Cached images and files is checked...uncheck any other choices as we don't really want to clear any other items at this time. You should also see that the Time Range setting is set for "All time". Now click the Clear Data button. Afterwards, close and re-open Chrome and see if there is any improvement.
Thank you for the suggestions. Actually, I was having a problem with another program also and for that one I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome. That seemed to fix the other program but RV Trip Wizard still did the same thing.

It didn't occur to me that it might be the browser.

I just did a quick test on Firefox and, for a quick test, it did work better.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. Actually, I was having a problem with another program also and for that one I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome. That seemed to fix the other program but RV Trip Wizard still did the same thing.

It didn't occur to me that it might be the browser.

I just did a quick test on Firefox and, for a quick test, it did work better.
Do you know if Trip Wizard was not designed to be compatible with Chrome?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

It's definitely compatible with Chrome, and is often the preferred browser. The reality of the internet however is that you've got to have a few browsers at your disposal because not everything works with every browser all of the time. Browser versions, plugins, Windows updates, security updates, Java, Flash, etc....they all play a part in the ultimate picture and it's a constantly changing landscape.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It's definitely compatible with Chrome, and is often the preferred browser. The reality of the internet however is that you've got to have a few browsers at your disposal because not everything works with every browser all of the time. Browser versions, plugins, Windows updates, security updates, Java, Flash, etc....they all play a part in the ultimate picture and it's a constantly changing landscape.
Ok. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just tried Creating a new trip and found that if I select "Use My Location" it works but if I enter a starting point it doesn't. I tried both Chrome and MS Edge browsers. It did create a new trip once but most of the time I get an error message saying select a Starting Location when I click START HERE or if I press Enter it goes through the motions of creating a trip but doesn't actually create one.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiken rver View Post
I just tried Creating a new trip and found that if I select "Use My Location" it works but if I enter a starting point it doesn't. I tried both Chrome and MS Edge browsers. It did create a new trip once but most of the time I get an error message saying select a Starting Location when I click START HERE or if I press Enter it goes through the motions of creating a trip but doesn't actually create one.
Thank you for adding that. And confirming problems with both Chrome and Edge. Yesterday when I tried a test on Firefox, it seemed to work so I was going to switch to using that. - But I thought it was me.

What you wrote is a better way of explaining what happens when my "new trip" is not being created.

I get the "select a starting location" after I've already entered a starting location. I was trying to then type in the closest thing from the drop-down menu thinking it didn't like the way I picked the location. Still didn't work.

Very frustrating to keep typing in "name of trip," dates, starting point over and over without anything happening! I never used the "my location" option because I am usually planning a future trip not starting from my current location.

I will use the work-around of "use my location" since that is working for you. Then, once the trip is actually created, I can change the starting point.

Your input is helpful. - Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #11
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One nuance to be aware of that might help. When you start to type in a location, and eventually type enough to see the desired location in the drop down, just double-click that entry in the drop-down. Now, the portion you have typed in will not change, just know however that it does retain the value, so just click the Start Here button in faith and it should start you from where you double-clicked.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
One nuance to be aware of that might help. When you start to type in a location, and eventually type enough to see the desired location in the drop down, just double-click that entry in the drop-down. Now, the portion you have typed in will not change, just know however that it does retain the value, so just click the Start Here button in faith and it should start you from where you double-clicked.
Actually, this does not work for me. I used to try that. Then I started typing it in exactly the way the drop down shows. But it still does not let me create the trip. It will go back to my logon screen that shows "open a trip" or "create new trip."

I do this over and over and eventually it will hold. Sometimes I have to wait hours and then come back to it.

I suspect there is a weakness in the program, as opposed to something I am doing, now that someone else describes the same issue.

I am going to try the suggestion of "use my location" and then work around from there. This has been extremely frustrating for me. If I didn't like the program for the other things it does, I would have given it up by now.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not sure what just changed, but as I started doing more testing it has suddenly started working both with Edge & Chrome. I have just created a new trip 10 times and it worked every time.

When I first started testing this time it did not work and then suddenly it did.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for that tip. I have been cursing that drop-down for not working for years.

Tags
trip wizard