Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

Toronto to Fort Wilderness to Dunedin home

so so excited. We have our new MH and are putting together our first trip as we are late in the planning stages we are having to piece together our stay at Fort Wilderness by staying off property 2 nights and 2 different sites when on WDW property, but still looking forward to it.
my question though is many fold.
what is the best way from Toronto down?
where do we stay overnight as i think it will take two days?
on the way home should we (after we learn how) winterize in florida or wait?

we are going in february for 2 weeks plus travel

thank you
Patchesmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

First, 1300 miles in 2 days is way too much. You are not use to driving this rig and it is very tiring. 300-350 might be optimistic.

Second, you need to seriously worry about weather.

Third, You wll probably need to boondock until you get to where cgs are open.

Fourth, Ft. Wilderness holds open some sites for drop ins. When you get close, a day out, give them a call.

Fifth, Go camping several times before you leave to acclimate to the MH. Practice boondocking also.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the new rig!

Some very good advice from Sue46, I send everything in that list ESPECIALLY the weather one. Most RV’s aren’t exactly known for their performance in the snow.

I’m in northern VT and we went to the Fort this summer. Our route was:

I 87 to Albany NY
I 88 from Abany to Binghamton NY.
I 81 from Binghamton NY to Fort Chriswell VA.
I 77 from Fort Chiswell VA to Columbia SC.
I 26 fro Columbia SC to Savanah GA.
I 95 from Savanah GA to Daytona Beach FL
I 4 from Daytona Beach to Disney.

For us, that was just over 1500 miles each way. We broke the drive into 3.5 day drive on the way down and 3 days coming home. I will say I was definitely beat at the end of each day. While coming home it’s not as a big deal to be wiped out at the end of the journey, but you don’t want to arrive at Disney exhausted, the parks are exhausting enough on their own! We arrived mid day on Tuesday and spent the rest of the day at the Meadow Pool, which was a nice way to recharge the batteries, and let the kids work off 3 days of riding in the RV and the excess energy that brings.

Have a great time. If the Hoop Dee Doo isn’t on your list I highly suggest it, our 7 year old twins LOVED it.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
Congrats on the new rig!

Some very good advice from Sue46, I send everything in that list ESPECIALLY the weather one. Most RV’s aren’t exactly known for their performance in the snow.

I’m in northern VT and we went to the Fort this summer. Our route was:

I 87 to Albany NY
I 88 from Abany to Binghamton NY.
I 81 from Binghamton NY to Fort Chriswell VA.
I 77 from Fort Chiswell VA to Columbia SC.
I 26 fro Columbia SC to Savanah GA.
I 95 from Savanah GA to Daytona Beach FL
I 4 from Daytona Beach to Disney.

For us, that was just over 1500 miles each way. We broke the drive into 3.5 day drive on the way down and 3 days coming home. I will say I was definitely beat at the end of each day. While coming home it’s not as a big deal to be wiped out at the end of the journey, but you don’t want to arrive at Disney exhausted, the parks are exhausting enough on their own! We arrived mid day on Tuesday and spent the rest of the day at the Meadow Pool, which was a nice way to recharge the batteries, and let the kids work off 3 days of riding in the RV and the excess energy that brings.

Have a great time. If the Hoop Dee Doo isn’t on your list I highly suggest it, our 7 year old twins LOVED it.
One change I would make unless you are going through Orlando late at night.
1) Stop at the Florida Welcome Center Rest Area and enjoy a cup of orange juice and buy a SunPass.
2) At Sanford on I-4 take the 417 Toll Road exit. With the SunPass you can ride on through and not pull to the right at the toll plazas. It is worth it for speed and the rate is cheaper.

3) Take the second Disney World exit and follow signs to Magic Kingdom. Ft Wilderness is last right just before entering the Magic Kingdom Main Gate parking.

Also get the app for your phone that will give you Walmart's that will let you boon-dock. Walmart can be a great campground and you always need something!
Be safe and have a great trip!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’d definitely look at Oldman’s suggestion, the last 60 miles of I4 were by far the worst of the drive. Minimal traffic construction the rest of the trip, that last 60 miles was one long jam/ instruction zone, and we passed through mid day on a Tuesday.

We used the Allstays app to scout locations, very helpful.

We stayed at:
Walmart - Shippensburg PA
Statesville KOA - Statesville NC
Walkabout RV Park - Woodbine GA

Have a great time. We had a blast at the parks, but the drive had some really pleasant memories alas well. (1st real road trip with RV since we bought in late 2016).
Old 10-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

Congratulations on the new RV.
We live just west of Toronto and have been making the trip to the Florida Keys each January for the last 7 years.
We always take the 401 West to Windsor / Detroit and the follow I-75 all the way south.
Good roads, lots of rest areas, and fewer mountains than I-95.
The detour at Detroit is not a problem, well marked and all divided highway.
As an earlier poster stated, 300-350 miles a day is a good bench mark.
Be prepared to add time if you hit a snow day.
We boonrock at OnRoute, Flying J's and Walmart until we hit northern Florida, and do not de-winterize until then.
We run the propane furnace 24/7 for the first couple of days.
It's easy finding propane, but unless you have heated tanks, you may want to take bottled water for washing etc.
If you are travelling back north in February or March you will definitely want to winterize before leaving Florida.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

Congrats Patchesmoma

I remember how excited we were with our new motorhome, so I know what you’re feeling.

However........

How new to you is this new motorhome?
How many trips have you done so far?
What’s the longest you’ve travelled in your rig so far?
Have you done any camping with it yet?

Your calculations for time to travel from Toronto to Walt Disney World is way way too aggressive for your timing. Not sure if you’ve travelled the route you mention by car before, but regardless, you NEVER make the time and speed you can with a car. Add to this, the time of year where weather can be an issue. Add to this that no RV is the preferred vehicle for winter road conditions travel.

Just for kicks, I’m attaching a google maps route for your trip....starts from Toronto to Walt Disney World. Simply put, its over 2,000kms, or over 1,300 miles. Realistically, and I mean that, realistically people really only cover 50 actual miles per hour when you take into consideration fuel stops, meals, gas stops, traffic, construction etc etc.
Three 10 hour days of driving an RV will knock you out!!!!!!

You really should sit back and realize it’ll be the better part of 4 days travel when it’s all said and done. And it’s supposed to be a vacation.

See the attached.....I’m here, along with others to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE7FE8D6-57F8-4328-815D-F228DF68E276.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	223278  
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I remember how excited we were with our new motorhome, so I know what you’re feeling.

However........

How new to you is this new motorhome?
How many trips have you done so far?
What’s the longest you’ve travelled in your rig so far?
Have you done any camping with it yet?

Your calculations for time to travel from Toronto to Walt Disney World is way way too aggressive for your timing. Not sure if you’ve travelled the route you mention by car before, but regardless, you NEVER make the time and speed you can with a car. Add to this, the time of year where weather can be an issue. Add to this that no RV is the preferred vehicle for winter road conditions travel.

Just for kicks, I’m attaching a google maps route for your trip....starts from Toronto to Walt Disney World. Simply put, its over 2,000kms, or over 1,300 miles. Realistically, and I mean that, realistically people really only cover 50 actual miles per hour when you take into consideration fuel stops, meals, gas stops, traffic, construction etc etc.
Three 10 hour days of driving an RV will knock you out!!!!!!

You really should sit back and realize it’ll be the better part of 4 days travel when it’s all said and done. And it’s supposed to be a vacation.

See the attached.....I’m here, along with others to help.
These comments and travel times are quite accurate.
When we travel south, we stop at Beaverdam Ohio, Williamsburg Kentucky, Jackson Georgia and Lake Park Georgia (all boondocking) before a 3-5 day layover at an RV Park in Ocala, Florida.
The days are long enough on the road, and our schedule allows us to keep the travels enjoyable.
We count on a min. of 5 days.
Two years ago we left home and literally made it 1 hour down the road (London, ON) and had to stop for the night because of icy roads.
I will not drive the RV in bad conditions as it is not like handling a car.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Lots of good advice here already. From our place in Central PA it's about 1,000 miles, and we took two days. Twelve hours day one to http://www.newgreenacres.com in Walterboro SC (a great layover campground). Remainder on day two.

'Twere me, I'd want at least three days from Toronto.

Fort Wilderness is a great campground, and we had a blast at Disney. Would do again in a heartbeat!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

As others have mentioned, it's best to allow yourself more time for travel down and arrive early than risk an accident trying to get there faster. When we started going down to Florida 14 yrs ago in the winter months we were on a time schedule. Yes we made it down just east of Orlando in 2 1/2 days but they were NOT enjoyable days or comfortable days sitting for over 12 hours a day.
Yes 12 hours because we stopped for diesel, bathroom use and a quick sub or what ever we could grab to eat on the go. And let's not forget you don't travel at 70 with a bigger RV it's more like 55 to 60.
One book that we found years ago and still use today is, ALONG I75 it can be purchased on Amazon or Chapters or Indigo. Just do a search on Google and look for Edition 19 . It's a spiral bound version of the book so easy to use and each page is 25 miles with rest stops, Wal-Mart's, restaurant's, gas and truck stops like Pilots and Flying Js and if they are Big Rig accessible, making planning your stops easier.
It also lists hotels, motels, Campgrounds, sightseeing tips, historical data from the area's your in, detours around cities like Atlanta as well as where speed traps may be located.

We travel along the 401 to Detroit and down I75, easy driving, only one hilly area, Jelico mountain, and well traveled in case you need help. Have traveled in snow, rain, and even stuck in Lexington Kentucky for 3 days due to ice storm that shut down the highway. Still a lot better than going to Buffalo and catching I95 and fighting all the traffic and tolls.
Tundra2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #11

Qew to Buffalo 190 90 w. 79 south 19 to 77, 26,95 ,4. Our overnight spots are Walmart summersville wv. Approx 450 miles or if we make really good time flying j wythville Virginia 600 miles.

Don't travel between Buffalo and Erie when lake effect snow is forecasted
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote