RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Travel from Florida to Alaska

Has anyone traveled in a Class A motor home from Florida, or the East Coast to Alaska. We wanted to make this trip next summer. We were told that Alaska wasn't a good place to take your RV because the roads are so bad. We would appreciate any feedback you can provide from your experiences. We'd hate to make the trip if it will be bad traveling there.

Thanks!

Stu & Jean

stu white is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

All the roads are fine, just take it easy. Frost heaves are marked. Make sure you get Milepost.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We did the trip from S. Florida in 2015. We loved every minute and hope to do again. You will read a lot of nay sayers here. The people who we saw that were having problems were usually driving too fast for road conditions. We really only had real bad roads for around 1-90-100 miles. They were from Whitehorse west to the border. Just slow down and enjoy the ride.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We went in 2009, just watch for the signs, they flag the frost heaves. No real problems.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Go.. go slow and enjoy the ride....Black flies suck though.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Travel within Alaska

Stu, we have lived in Fairbanks for 25 years. I can’t speak for getting to Alaska but generally the 3 main Highways( not interstates by any means) are generally in good shape. If rock chips to your front valance or windshield are gonna cause you heartburn then maybe it not the trip you want. There is always construction on the Parks and Richardson. Be prepared and as previously suggested use a milepost. The state also has a construction update at their website. State of Alaska, I think it is under 511. When the kids were younger we traveled the state in a 26ft 89 mobile traveler and never had a problem. Now we park our Dp in Vancouver and are trying to get used to the high speed traffic in the lower 48. One thing I will urge, is the law states that if you have 5 vehicles behind you you must pull over when convenient to let them pass. For everyone’s safety please do. Enjoy your trip.
Arctickats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Top of the world highway is beautiful, but received several holes in my DP windshield a couple of holes and chips on my toad. I would avoid it when I do it again.
Noelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

We did it last year and it was awesome! Slow going is the key not all hazard spots are marked! We did top of the world and there is a reason they call it that! These are all weather roads and they do a good job of maintaining them. Some locations you are away from cell service! You want to cover your toad’s front or the rocks will beat it up! We did get a couple of small windshield chips on the DP but nothing to worry about. We were told to pull our rock guard up on the rear as they tend to kick up more than they protect. This was good advice especially with the frost heaves! We also were advised to put hardware wire underneath to keep rocks from hitting out fanblades on our radiator. It worked as we had no damage to our cooling system. It’s the local trucks coming at you that sling rocks off but not much you can do, except duck and cringe!!😮
Firecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

Thank you for your input! The more we know, the better.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Done the trip 2X from north Fl and west GA. We went along at a steady pace both trips up- not too fast and not too slow. 2014 31 foot Itasca motorhome on the second trip towing a 2008 Ford Focus on a dolly. Took a spare for the moho and a spare for the car just in case. 22 days one way seemed like a sweet spot for us. Many take longer.

Poked along about 275-350 miles per day on average. Pushed it longer a bit until we crossed the Mississippi and went through Nebraska. We went in early August and returned mid Sept when things were starting to close down up north.

Took us 22 days to get to Anchorage from LaGrange, GA. and north FL on the 2 trips we took. We goofed off for 2 nights each at Badlands, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Glacier and Banff/ Lake Louise. Went up westbound through Nebraska and there to the Badlands, then westward and north from Helena, MT then Galcier, then Banff and Icefield parkway. Never really got tired at that pace. Reservations well ahead of time are a must for the good RV parks on this trip-- especially at Banff/Lake Louise

The national Parks in US and Canada were our favorites, But we also liked our favorite way stations on the Alaska Hiway-- TOAD RIVER and Discovery RV parks.Also a must stop for a quick dip or overnight stay is Liard Springs.

As stated earlier , don't leave until you have the latest version of "MILEPOST" in hand and plan your trip out. And once you get up to the Badlands never move anywhere without a camera within immediate reach for awesome views and wildlife sightings.

We opted for the eastern route on the Alaska Hiway. Plan your stops so you never drop below the top half of your fuel tank once you pass Calgary northbound. Fewer fuel facilities and it do get pricey!

The hard thing to visualize on a map is that from Florida (or GA) to Calgary is only about half way there. Its still a long way to Anchorage from Calgary!

On the downhill return we had to get home in a hurry and made the run back in 12 days- but we were really pushing (new arrival in the family back down south)

Took some extra effort to protect the toad with reflectix . No damage to the toad but we wore the paint off the dolly from gravel and grit flying . There's an awful lot of loose gravel on chip-seal roads once you get north and west and a good many dirt stretched once you get to the Yukon- depending on construction activity during the summer.

There are a few hefty grades along the route, but we never had any problem with our V-10 gasser. The roads up north can get bumpy so extra effort was taken to secure the dishes and loose stuff in the rig.

We took 3 rocks to the windshield on the motorhome from passing trucks, one of which finished the windshield off. Happened on chip seal roads in Wyoming. Tried to fix the dings, but no luck and we wound up making it home with a good crack before the windshield was changed out for a tidy sum!

I learned to pull over and angle the front of the rig toward the side of the road on dirt and chip seal sections whenever Ii saw a big rig coming at me.Got pretty dusty on one unpaved section in the Yukon and like a nut I had left the genny running. Managed to clog the air filter on the genny pretty badly and could not find a new filter until I returned south of the border on the way back.

Its the trip of a lifetime and by all means do it!!!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
We went in 2009, just watch for the signs, they flag the frost heaves. No real problems.
The signs we watched for were whenever the lines on the road up ahead got wavy it meant it was time to slow down for frost heaves.

Dave
Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #12

We just got back from a Indiana to/from Alaska trip.

Like others said, too many naysayers. The roads are good except for frost heaves and maybe the last 100-150 miles in Canada. Destruction bay to the Alaskan border was the worse. However, on our way home we both felt like the road was better in that section.

I agree with the wavy lane markers. Canada is also pretty good with red flags on the side of the road for bad locations.

If in a bad section, follow someone else. Then you can watch how their RV reacts to the dips. Some of the wavy sections are misleading.

Other than that, just take it easy. There were times like going through the Muncho Lake area that I didn't feel comfortable driving the speed limit. So I slowed down and watched for people behind me. If someone was coming up I would have wife start looking at the milepost for a turnout to let them pass.

I guess that was my biggest complaint. Too many people driving seriously slower than speed limit. Then wouldn't pull over or even let off the gas if you started to pass. It doesn't take 30 seconds to pull over in a wide spot and let traffic pass.

We took one rock hit dent to a beauty piece on the front end, and I picked up some tar from cold patching in Alaska.

Steve
Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #13

Thanks for the information, Steve. Everyone's input is helpfuld.

Stu
Old 10-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #14

Here is a series of videos from a couple of my favorite youtube rvers. They are in Alaska right now. They tell you where they camped, how much it costs, and cool places to go. Check them out.

Tags
florida, travel