Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV LIFE Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Travel Time - Routing Engine vs Ave Speed vs Google Maps

I'm planning my trip and I need fairly accurate travel times to be sure I arrive at my campsite before they close.

I'll be traveling from FL to PA with a couple of Rest Stops and an overnight stay at a campsite over two days of travel.

For the first two stops:

the first Rest Stop (is the Georgia Welcome Center at 100 St Marys Rd., St Marys, GA) - the next Rest Stop (Rest Area I-26 Eastbound MM150 in Orangeburg SC) these are the travel Times:

1) RVTripwizard (Average Speed) set for 65 mph) is 2 hrs 42 minutes
2) RVTripWizard (Routing Engine) says 3 hours 12 minutes
3) Google Maps (directions feature) says 3 hours 35 minutes
From there to my campsite in Swannanoa, NC.

With Google Maps you cant set average speed so I assume it uses the speed limit (maybe figures in traffic delays. I don't know), so why the difference?

I'd rather error on the side of "longer travel times". If I get to the Campsite early, no problem. But if I get there after 6PM I cant get in.

RVTripWizard Routing Engine is about 20 minutes faster than Google, but what factors does the Routing Engine use in its calculations?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 05:24 AM   #2

If it was me - I'd err on the side of caution figuring on hitting a traffic problem somewhere along the route...and perhaps a restroom break...and a meal.

My wife and I always laugh that we're always the ones who are never late, simply because we plan ahead for unexpected delays.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Figure longest time plus 1 hour for traffic or rain delays. We travel with 3 Pugs and stop every 3 hours . usually on road at 7. Stop at 12 for lunch and dog walk at rest stop. Fuel up around 3 and dog walk pull into CG around 5_6pm. Usually get 375 miles out of that. Travelling from melbourne fl to NH.[emoji190][emoji190][emoji190][emoji3]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

Using an average speed of 65 is super optimisitic. We have found 50 is a much better number and generally works well.

Are you sure you can overnight at the RA's you have slected? Many RA's don't allow overnight.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Average speed figures travel time only with no traffic. To average 65 you would have to drive 80. The others are calculating a more realistic travel time that includes average traffic speeed values for that route and any construction delays. None of them account for any leg stretching stops.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Using an average speed of 65 is super optimisitic. We have found 50 is a much better number and generally works well.

Are you sure you can overnight at the RA's you have slected? Many RA's don't allow overnight.
I have to agree with Sue here....I normally cruise at around 70mph and I normally average 50mph for the trip....so a 400 mile trip will take me, give or take a few minutes, 8 hours.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If driving on mainly interstate or good 2 lane highways, if I use 50 mph average speed for planning works well for me, covering fuel stop and rest/dog walk breaks. When I was in Newfoundland recently the roads in many places were poor so my average was less than that.

When on interstate I usually set cruise control at 62-65 mph even if speed limit above that.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post

I'll use the "Route Estimating" feature in RV Trip Wizard rather then setting an average speed.

I'm traveling Interstate highways (speed limit 70) but I know there can be delays from construction and accidents. I'm travelign on Sunday so there should not be any "rush hour" traffic.

Regarding the Rest Stops. I'm not staying overnight at those. I just planned for a 1-hour rest stop every 3 to 3.5 hours of driving, to stretch my legs and walk the dogs.

If I'm running behind schedule I could skip the Rest Stops - or just make the rest stop 30 minutes, to make up time.

My schedule has me leaving central FL at 6AM and arriving in NC campground by 5:30PM. The campsite locks the gate at 6PM I'm told.

The trip time (in RV Trip Wizard) says the drive takes 10 hours and 15 minutes (so I would be at the campground around 4PM without any rest stops) so with the rest stops includes I should be able to get there by 6PM before they close.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:49 AM   #9

I too in reality seem to average about 50 mph on longer trips once I account for fuel stops, stretch breaks, meals, etc. In a car I could average higher speeds, but not in an RV, instead in an RV everything seems to go slower, it takes longer to get on and off the highway, longer to into and out of gas stations, ....
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #10

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda

Wow, I wish there was an app that could predict an accurate arrival time. I imagine, that is why arrivals are usually listed as ETA(estimated time of arrival). It all depends on that day. I could of got there on time, if that idiot hadn't drove his truck into the center medium, or if I had left 5 minutes earlier, and passed that spot before he decided to crash. Error on the side that gives you time to let poop happen, and still arrive before you need to be there.
mailfored1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I assume your post is just being a little sarcastic for the sake of adding humor.

The whole point of a Trip "Planner" is to help you plan the trip and provide travel time estimates. No one is expecting exact travel times. No software can predict accident delays. Some programs can add in delays for construction. However that's not what we are talking about.

Having a fairly accurate time estimate is desirable in a trip planning program - so the question is - what's the most accurate travel times, using the "Routing Engine" or setting a "50 mph average speed", checking times in Google Maps or something else?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
we travel from ohio to melbourne florida area each january.......three day trip, short 6/7 hr days........first stay, mt.airy sc, second savannah ga, third day arrival...........when we travel, i calculate 50 mph average, not 65...........that gives us plenty of time for rest stops, dining, fueling, whatever.............we like to leave early in the morning (6am) and arrive at the campground 1 to 2 pm.......gives us time to set up, electric only usually on an overnight, and see some of the local sites...........also gives us plenty of time to have dinner at a local restaurant....................we have found this practice works best for US........i like the short days, no 10 to 12 hour days if we can help it..............makes travel relaxing.................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
That's my plan too - but I like to reserve a site for the night - which is why I want to "plan" my travel time - so I don't get to the campsite too early before they will let me in (check-in is usually starting at 11AM) and I want to be sure not to get there too late or I may not get in (i.e. gate closes at 6PM at Mama Gerties Hideaway).
Old 08-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our average speed over distance varies greatly. If we see a roadsign of interest, we may go see it. If we see an interesting restaurant we may stop for an extended lunch. If we see or learn of a differing route that may be interesting, we change the plan.

We seldom make campground reservations when traveling. Come closer to time we want to stop for the day, we start looking for a place to drop anchor.

Ymmv.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, travel