RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV Trip Wizard - Trip Planner Topics
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #1

Traveling from Pahrump, Nevada to Bishop, California through D.V. In 36 ft. Class A

First off, my apologies if this question has already been asked, and answered. I just havenít seen it. We are looking to travel through Death Valley from Pahrump up through Bishop, and onto Reno, and then on up 395 into Oregon. weíve seen some informative videos from Wild on the Go, but realize this winter is a bit different, in terms of weather conditions. My question is two fold:
1. How difficult is the drive up from the valley floor in a 36 foot Class A, realizing itís a steep climb? We wont be towing.
2. What are the weather conditions? It looks to be calming down some around the area.

Any advice would be welcome!

2Cougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cougs View Post
First off, my apologies if this question has already been asked, and answered. I just havenít seen it. We are looking to travel through Death Valley from Pahrump up through Bishop, and onto Reno, and then on up 395 into Oregon. weíve seen some informative videos from Wild on the Go, but realize this winter is a bit different, in terms of weather conditions. My question is two fold:
1. How difficult is the drive up from the valley floor in a 36 foot Class A, realizing itís a steep climb? We wont be towing.
2. What are the weather conditions? It looks to be calming down some around the area.

Any advice would be welcome!
Howdy Neighbor!

I live in Vegas and I have been to Mammoth twice and Reno once in my Windsport 34P in the last month or two.

Do you have a gas or a diesel?

Do you have chains?

I taken all three routes from 95 to 395...Death Valley, Westgaard Pass and US 6.

I wouldn't worry about going through Death Valley. What are your concerns? If you live in Pahrump you know how your coach handles the steepest grades you'll probably ever deal with. A Ford V10 will manage, I did just fine, just go slow and easy up and down. A Diesel won't have any problems uphill but you'll have to be careful downhill.

Generally speaking I wouldn't advise the death valley route or westgaard pass if the weather is bad. It will take some serious weather to affect US 95 or US 395 though. US 6 should be good unless there is something pretty serious too. I would rank the different options in order of difficulty from easiest to hardest as- 1) US 6, 2) Death Valley, 3) Westgaard Pass. If the weather is nice, the views on westgaard and the Death Valley route are absolutely worth it.

I would highly recommend chains if you don't already have them, even if you don't think you will need them, they are way cheaper if you order them online in advance of when you need them, and they can be hard to find for your tires if you are trying to buy when you actually need them.

We have only needed to use chains once but not having them ahead of time ruined our whole trip. Will never make that mistake again and will do whatever I can to stop someone else from making the same mistake.

Generally speaking the weather is just variable. You will usually have a day or two of advance notice on bad storms if not more, but the forecast just isn't a guarantee and estimates of a few inches can turn into feet and vice versa.

Best of luck let me know if you have any other questions.

CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. We are diesel. Both have been through the Mohave, but only one has been through Death Valley. Think we’ll just head north towards Reno, on 6, if the weather is good, although Bishop is beautiful, and I’m sure it’s gorgeous right now.
2Cougs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, california, class a, travel